The fullscreen D3D thing again: 4.13, latest 513

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Phydeaux{RoA}

Phydolike
Jan 11, 2000
Wisconsin, USA
www.bfgn.com
Well, I've watched this problem attack others and now it's latched onto me.

UT isn't detecting my video card. I have a Guillemot Xentor Maxi-Gamer TNT2 Ultra video card running UT (version 4.13) and the latest nVidia 5.13 drivers. It was fine two days ago but went fullscreen yesterday when my son went to start the game. After searching the PuF archives, I've tried most of the things that have already suggested; 16-bit mode, set fullscreen=true in advanced mode, tried all the different flavors of the d3ddrv.dll file at the UT Tech Support site, tried going back to 5.08 drivers, tried reinstalling UT.

Nothing has helped. I'm back up to version 5.13 of the video driver and the 4.13 patch.

Has anyone wrestled with this problem lately and won?

tia,

regards from Wisconsin,

------------------
------------------
Phydeaux|PuF
Wisconsin, USA
------------------

VaShooter

The Ol`e man is back
Jan 25, 2000
Chesapeake VA
Visit site
Phy, the 5.13 driver is for a geforce yes it will run a tnt but not as good. You will have problems and glitches. I`m still running the 3.68 drivers and don`t have any problems. FYI timedemo on city intro avg. 60fps. PIII 575 256ram tntultra.

bullet2.gif

He Shoots..He Scores..He gets shot in the back.
new ingame name VaShooter{PuF}

Clanless

Jul 7, 2000
I have your exact same video card Phydeaux /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif
I wasnt too pleased with the D3D in this game, so I tried it out with OpenGL. There are some graphical errors that occur, but the FPS rates are at least 2x faster than those of D3D. The only anomalies I really notice are the squares around decals...(bullet holes, booger gun boogers) and the black clouds that come out of the rocket launcher alternate fire are big black boxes. This I actually LIKE as it makes it much easier to tell where the little skinny pipes are flying from the sprite texture's bounding box.

VaShooter

The Ol`e man is back
Jan 25, 2000
Chesapeake VA
Visit site
OK Rooster posting it now. Man thats alot of work looking up everything I`ve tweeked...

If you all want to know what a Tnt is capable of look at this thread 3rd page look for my post...
http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~unreal/ubb/html/Forum3/HTML/001637-2.html

bullet2.gif

[This message has been edited by VaShooter (edited 04-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by VaShooter (edited 04-11-2000).]

Phydeaux{RoA}

Phydolike
Jan 11, 2000
Wisconsin, USA
www.bfgn.com
Hi, Dogg!
The Xentor 32 is a fine card but already dated. The next crop of GeForce cards make it look weak and the *next* crop of NV15 cards should be enough to make me think of trying to pick up a GeForce card. /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

Update: Still no luck. Still trying suggestions. I'm about at the place where "I'd piss on a sparkplug if I thought it'd help..." (anyone remember *that* line)?

bullet2.gif

------------------
Phydeaux|PuF
Wisconsin, USA
------------------

RedBeard

Mar 23, 2000
Grapevine, TX USA
Visit site
Hey yeah i was having your problems before. Have you tried removing UT and all video drivers from your computer then reinstalling them? This worked for me.

oh by the way you have to uninstall the drivers. Then manually install the standard VGA adapter. Then install your drivers on top of that. Check out my other post and you can see what other wonderful problems im having with my geforce and UT.

you know im starting to think epic is getting some big *** kickback from voodoo. Everybody knows voodoo was struggling and i really don't think that the voodoo 5 and 6 are going to save them. but for epic to take kick backs from 3dfx is a joke. It's enough to make me want to play Q3A, at least it runs most of the time.

-Red

VaShooter

The Ol`e man is back
Jan 25, 2000
Chesapeake VA
Visit site
Phy, you still having trouble???

Try using the nivida 3.68 drivers, also install this d3d driver(I`m e-mailing it to you) after you try this tell me what it does if it helps or not..

bullet2.gif

Phydeaux{RoA}

Phydolike
Jan 11, 2000
Wisconsin, USA
www.bfgn.com
Still having trouble, yes. I reverted to the 368 drivers and completely reloaded UT (orig; 4.05 patch, Bonus Pack, 4.13) and still comes up in the window. I tried the OpenGL driver and that just crashes in the intro movie. I don't know why, but it's just not detecting my video card. Just to dot the "i" - I'm going back to the Std VGA driver before loading the new video drivers, so I don't think that's it.

I'll try the thing you sent me tonight.

bullet2.gif

------------------
Phydeaux|PuF
Wisconsin, USA
------------------

Phydeaux{RoA}

Phydolike
Jan 11, 2000
Wisconsin, USA
www.bfgn.com
Well, folks, there's a happy ending for me, here, except that I'm feeling a bit stupid.

It was DirectX 7a. I reinstalled DirectX7a tonight and lo and behold! everything worked great! UT detected the video card as a D3D device and worked as usual. What happened? Well, Win98 was acting stupid a few days ago and I reinstalled Win98SE over the top of my existing installation but forgot to update Dx7 for UT. Duh. So there's one very early question for the troubleshooters to ask next time. (It didn't even occur to me to ask that this time because I had *had* the correct drivers for the longest time and didn't give that a second thought. Ugh.)

So I've got my happy ending. Thanks to everyone for their concern and suggestions - this really is a great community of people.

bullet2.gif

------------------
Phydeaux|PuF
Wisconsin, USA
------------------

BusterT

Apr 13, 2000
Santa Clara, Ca, USA
Visit site
I run a PII 350 TNT2 128ram, and this game flys, however after installing patch413 the skins i got from the bonus pack don't show on the bots or on me while I'm in the practice game. Does anyone else have this problem or know who to solve it