Server ops, input please..

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
I'm fixing to setup a part time server (DM+) & need a little help.

Should I make it a 4.13 server? I've had crappy luck with that as a client...

I installed UT on a machine & installed a TON of skins & maps. I found that alot of the skins (texture files)weren't named properly or something & had to weed them out or rename them cause ucc would just shut down when it encountered the error. Some of these skinners should be ashamed...

Anyway I'm starting over cause I was afraid ppl are gonna have to d/l everything I have
installed.. Is this correct? I really would like to have a ton of skins & voicepaks. But I'm afraid ppl are gonna have to sit there hours d/l'ing this stuff...

I'm only gonna have 4 bot's in there & each will be totally custom (skins & voicepaks).
Will that be all that ppl have to d/l(besides the maps of course)??

I really like custom stuff but I don't wanna make it too hard for ppl to get on...

Also on the bandwidth factor, I'm gonna set it to 8 players at 6000 maxclientrate. Is that too much for cable?? Meybe I should cut it to 6 players? I was reading on the UT
Technology page how to figure this out. I'm not sure what my cable upstream bandwidth
is; I think it's at least 256kbps though... What do some of you other server ops have
yours set to??

Thanks for the input...

c0aX, Vexor, whatever... :p

Ritz

Cracka
Nov 10, 1999
miami, FL
Visit site
i was about to reply to this, hit the reply button, then went and did something else.
i forgot what i was going to say :\

o yeah
from here on is my humble volatile opinion
take nothing personally Please, in fact just stop reading /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif
custom servers suck
please just run a normal server, with cable you could host a very nice 1v1 server. no funky skins or maps please /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif maybe even a nice 2v2 server

use 413, dont use skins or voicepaks...you will get 0 players. downloading sucks
and PLEASE dont use bots, if people wanted to play bots they would do a practice session

SuperD[C1]

[C1] is dead. {PC} 0wnz j00
Apr 12, 2000
Rockville, MD
i.am
the only real advantage to 4.13 is the remote download for skins, etc.
We have had no problems with 4.13 as a server; however, as a client, there are still issues out there. /~unreal/ubb/html/biggrin.gif

Disclaimer: I'm taking nothing personally.. /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

Custom servers suck huh? Noone will play it huh? Ya know, statements like that just prove what I already know.. The way Epic implemented custom stuff into UT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARRRRGGGHHHH it pisses me off..

I mean look at Quake2 - Custom skins/models all OVER the place... The way epic did it it might as well not even be there... /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

I know 4.13 is backward compatible...

OK, anymore "detailed" input on the questions i asked?

Like if I run a few bots is that all ppl will have to d/l is their voicepaks & skins?

The bandwidth question??

Any replies appreciated tho thanx...

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Stick with a 2 on 2 server. No BOTS.

If you do custom maps - try to get the remote download working (I don't think anyone has gotten it to work yet).

Or at worst, integrate some BP maps.

8 players on 256k will totally suck. 6 will be fair.

2 or 4 will be just fine and dandy.

bullet2.gif

Map Reviewer for Capture

Ritz

Cracka
Nov 10, 1999
miami, FL
Visit site
If you set up a cool 1v1 server i will bear your children /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif
there are way too few of them
1v1, some specs, no powerups or deemer, 20 time and no fraglimit...no custom stuff

please /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif