Most Retarded PC problem!! Please help me!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Shadow

Has Balls Of Steel
Oct 20, 2004
This may sound like the gayest problem ever encounterd on a PC, but unfortuantly im haveing it.

The thing is while im playing Unreal Tournament My computer restarts itself!!!! Ya you heard me while im playing it just restarts itself. Im getting really tired of this problem it happened to me just 5 mins ago. Can someone please help me so I can fix the problem as soon as possible?

Thanks. :)

Shadow

Has Balls Of Steel
Oct 20, 2004
That is what im thinking. The only thing I can possibly think of is that its over heating.

But still my computer is brand new, top of the line, every gadget and gizmo out there. I shouldnt be experiencing these problems!?!?!

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
marko said:
This may sound like the gayest problem ever encounterd on a PC, but unfortuantly im haveing it.

The thing is while im playing Unreal Tournament My computer restarts itself!!!! Ya you heard me while im playing it just restarts itself. Im getting really tired of this problem it happened to me just 5 mins ago. Can someone please help me so I can fix the problem as soon as possible?

Thanks. :)

1st. Don't talk so ****ty. Gay people might be insulted. :shake:
2nd. Did you check for spy/addware?
3rd. Check your temperatures.
4rd. Is UT the only game it's happening too, or do you have random reboots outside UT too?

DeaJae

taking a month's break
May 7, 2001
England
www.littleportitservices.co.uk
Are you running Xp SP2 and recently installed something USB wise?
If so you might be suffering from the 'Bad_Pool_header' BSoD fault. Alas my system suffers as well, but i need to find a way to manaully remove SP2 or reinstall windows without SP2 going "BARK! THAT NORTY! NEIN!"... etc. :/

Shadow

Has Balls Of Steel
Oct 20, 2004
Spyware/Adware wouldnt be the problem cause When I scan my PC first I use Adaware se then when that scan is done I run Spyware doctor.

It is probably over heating, but how do I fix it?

Enfyrneaux

Apr 4, 2002
Later this afternoon
Visit site
marko said:
First, check the location of your computer. Is there adequate airspace around it? If it's in a cabinet and that cabinet feels like an oven, get your computer out.
Second, see where you can add fans inside of your case. Be sure the match the direction of airflow!

I would also check for bad RAM - this can cause all sorts of random crazy problems for your software. Google "RAM scanner" and see what it comes up with. Also try swapping out your sticks and see if the problem continues (sometimes a RAM scanner will not detect malfunctioning RAM).
I had a bad 256MB DDR stick once, and all of my OpenGL based games were randomly restarting - everything else was fine. I replaced the stick and things worked fine.

Last edited:

The Helios

Keeper of the Ancient Ones
Apr 17, 2004
That problem of bad RAM, blergh, I also had it. It caused me constant reboots and crashes before I had to change them. Also, what video card are you using?

Nines

With Rage Alive
Oct 12, 2004
Sweden
I had the same problem with my old computer, suddenly, it just restarted itself!! I didn't know how to fix it, so i just had to live with it!!
Nowadays it never happens, but now i have a new computer, a better computer!! :)

cadar22

Aug 2, 2001
California
Visit site
marko said:
Spyware/Adware wouldnt be the problem cause When I scan my PC first I use Adaware se then when that scan is done I run Spyware doctor.

1st. Spyware doctor and adaware is not enough,you must have:Spybot searchanddestroy,Webroot spy sweeper,and and maybe Aluria spy eliminator it is a real real real deep scanner .
2nd.it might be registry prob ,you might have a bad or corrupt file,try registry mechanic,PcBugdoctor.
I myself use my Norton Systems Works 20001 pro.ed.. It fixes alottt.
3rd.try booting with a start up disk. just type scandisk:\c .and see what happens, sometimes wheres an error in a directory or error in free space allocation .that you dont know about...

thats all i got for know...good luck in fixing your probbb.

TAZTG

Your face, Your ass-Whats the Difference
Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
You really didn't supply enough specific information for folks to really help you out.

Here's a few general tips..
1) Make sure you have Updated Drivers for (Graphics Card, Motherboard Chipsets.
2) Case Cooling, Intake Air=Fans in Bottom Front, Exhaust Air=Fans Rear or Top.
3) Ram, somtimes having RAM rated to high for your MOBO could cause Random Restarts. Don't add PC3500 if MOBO only supports PC2100.
Bad Ram, It happens, if you have 2 sticks pull one and test system, swap stciks and test again.
4) CPU Cooling, make sure Heatsink and fan is on correctly.
5) Graphics Card, if you have another graphics card swap it and test system. If UT runs fine then return bad Graphic Card!!

Shadow

Has Balls Of Steel
Oct 20, 2004
I think I'll take all your advice on the cooling fan. It sounds like a possible problem.

Thanks for all your sugestion! :D

Bono

Third Eye Open
Sep 25, 2004
Germany
Since yesterday I have the same problem. While playing UT2004 my computer just restarts itself.

My system specs:
----------------
* Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2400+
* Motherboard: EPOX EP8K9A2+
* RAM: 1 GB Infineon DDR PC-333
* Graphics card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (256 MB)
* Sound card: onboard
* Operating system: Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4)
* Latest UT2K4 patch (version 3339)
* Latest Catalyst driver (version 4.11)

This hardware configuration hasn't changed since the german release of UT2004 in march.

Things I have already tried:
--------------------
* Virus scan with AV Personal (nothing found)
* Spyware scan with Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, a2 (nothing found)
* Check for hard disk problems with chckdisk (everything OK)
* Check for RAM problems with memtest86 (passed 3 times without a single error)

And it is definitely not overheating. I have a fan at the bottom of the front panel for fresh air and one at the top of the rear panel to blow out exhausted air. In addition I am monitoring the CPU temperature as well as the case temperature, so I would have noticed any difficulties.

In fact I never experienced any problems so far. It all started with installing the latest patch (v3339). First the problem with Kerio Personal Firewall discussed in this atari thread. There was no problem with any of the patches prior to version 3339. And now those ingame restarts.

I will try downgrading to version 3323 again and see if that solves the problem. I'll let you know...

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Power supply. This same thing happened to me. Computer would lock and reboot only when playing UT2004. Then it started rebooting every once in a great while while I was just surfing the net. Turned out to be a flaky power supply. Replaced and upgraded it and it solved everything.

Bono

Third Eye Open
Sep 25, 2004
Germany
Ok, downgrading to version 3323 did not solve the problem. I made some more test and found out that my graphics driver (catalyst 4.11) was the source of error. Apart from the restarts I also experienced some weird graphic bugs lately. A friend of mine using a radeon 9700 pro with catalyst 4.11 reports similar symptoms. So I reinstalled the catalyst 4.5 driver and everything works fine now. No bugs, no restarts.