PDA

View Full Version : Where are people located on the map?

randyannie
14th Nov 2004, 03:28 AM
Is there a way to tell where people are located on a map - a hotkey or something. When I practice my fragging skills in DeathMatch, sometimes I camp to see if I can get a suprise kill, however usually one of the top 3 players will come along and blast me pretty quickly. :rl: :eek:

It seems like they are looking at a map that shows them the location of all the players. If they are, I'd like to look at the same map.

Thanks, Randy :D

Zoeff
14th Nov 2004, 03:33 AM
That would be cheating; i.e. a wall hack.

- Zoeff
Map Exploiters Admin / Server Admin

14th Nov 2004, 04:04 AM
most UT2k4 DM maps are made so that camping is not a good strategy. One thing map creators focus on is the "flow" of the map so as there aren't any dead spots where no one has a reason to go through. In Unreal there are hardly any spots where you can focus in one direction knowing that there is no possibility someone is coming in from behind you. If you really want to enhance your hitscan skill, I recommend you try to take players upclose while moving at the same time. That is how I got good reflex aim. It will also increase your melee flak prime. Ofcourse you are going to get fragged like crazy, but you'll increase in skill. DM can be the best way to master fragging, but it can also be the worst way. If you want to be a more skilled player:
Dont spam
Dont camp
Dont be scared to fight multiple people at once
Dont be scared to use a weapon that you aren't great at
Get yourself in the worst situations
Dont get frustrated
Dont take anything to heart
Realize that once your fragging skill has reached a certain level, then you can focus on tactics.
People that focus on tactics too early on limit there skill growth.
You can only take tactics to a certain level then after that it is all luck, atleast in DM.
Some may argue tactics and skill are an integral part of eachother. But I say that there are somethings you can't learn how to do hiding behind walls and doing shock combos while standing still.
In TDM 1v1 and all the other gametypes you have to focus on tactics and trying to get an upperhand at the start, but in DM you shouldn't immerse yourself in tactics so soon.

Dark Pulse
14th Nov 2004, 04:13 AM
Is there a way to tell where people are located on a map - a hotkey or something. When I practice my fragging skills in DeathMatch, sometimes I camp to see if I can get a suprise kill, however usually one of the top 3 players will come along and blast me pretty quickly. :rl: :eek:

It seems like they are looking at a map that shows them the location of all the players. If they are, I'd like to look at the same map.

Good players will usually know where all the hiding spots in a map are - where people will camp, where the powerups are, etc. It's something they get from experience.

Also, sounds can tip you off as to where you are. Good players will use sound to their advantage and make you pay. For example, a player may, say, hear you loading up your rockets behind him. Net result: He jumps, whips around, and crisps your head with a well-placed Lightning Gun shot.

Other then these two ways, pretty much all the other ways are cheating.

Gravesanth
14th Nov 2004, 05:57 AM
Unless cheating, no-one's got a map of where players are on a map. It's skill, practise and experience that the others players have.. and you've got to work on that it seems. After playing Deck17 for loads of hours, every skilled player knows where people are gonna camp and/or wait for a so called surprise frag. It just doesn't work; skill and experience will take you much further. :D

shadow_dragon
14th Nov 2004, 06:25 AM
Unless cheating, no-one's got a map of where players are on a map. It's skill, practise and experience that the others players have.. and you've got to work on that it seems. After playing Deck17 for loads of hours, every skilled player knows where people are gonna camp and/or wait for a so called surprise frag. It just doesn't work; skill and experience will take you much further. :D

Unless your playing last man standing, where if you stand still to long...... it tells them where you are.

Taleweaver
14th Nov 2004, 08:29 AM

They just have more experience: they come in, see you at the same time you see them, and don't need that much time to aim because you are standing still.

There are some legal ways you can tell where players are, but it's certainly no kind of map: it's called prediction. I could explain this, but as luck would have it, I already did it over here (http://users.skynet.be/golden_dragon/UT/UT2k4_predictions.html)

randyannie
14th Nov 2004, 10:34 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. My original intent for the post was to find out how the top players could find someone camping so quickly. I thought maybe there was a map or something, but from your responses, it seems that it's more that the smart/skilled players know the map so well that they know where all the potential camping/hiding spots are and they do a spot check of sorts. Kind of a quick run around the map to see if anyone is sitting there like easy prey. :)

Then they blast you ---- lesson learned ---- ownage :lol: .

Thanks, Randy

B
14th Nov 2004, 12:19 PM
Most good players have a couple of routes they take while they play the map. They'll spawn, find a good gun, get shield (and time it), get health, get ammo, get shield (time it again) and so on. While doing their route they pass by the "camperspots" and check if noone is there.

In my experience, you'll do this more and more once you get better. And you get a feel for where other players are. (usually near the big guns and goodies.)

BooGiTyBoY
14th Nov 2004, 01:10 PM
Also I don't know if you realize this.. but certain maps have "sound triggers" in certain spots that players listen for. (They are "broadcast" to all players when triggered)

Take DM-Rankin for example.

If you take your first right after the 100 shield (directly across from the rocket launcher) there's a little flight of stairs. When you move over them either by running/dodging/jumping etc, it makes a noise like a hammer on an iron pipe.

Or when you pick up the flak cannon or the shock rifle there's an area you run over which sounds a "water splash." (Although I don't see any water but I have my World Detail set on low... are there puddles there or something?)

Good players know these triggers and can follow your movement if they listen closely. Another ons of the reasons good players don't play with their music on. (I for one need it though as it "puts me in the fraggin' mood" so I just play mine low, hehe)

I'm usually located on the map:

http://img41.exs.cx/img41/1967/US1.jpg

zynthetic
14th Nov 2004, 02:27 PM
I've seen an overlay on a few videos, is there a mut that shows the location of teamates and weapons they're using?

14th Nov 2004, 02:37 PM
I've seen an overlay on a few videos, is there a mut that shows the location of teamates and weapons they're using?UTComp good mut for TDM

Animus
16th Nov 2004, 11:55 AM
MUTATOR: there is a mutator on fileplanet that shows arrows
on the minimap in onslaught maps from where your teammates are
if you press f1 in dm or other gametypes you get a scoringlist
whit the rankings of the players and below a small text of there location
but its not a exact location ,very handy if you cant find the flagcarrier
:)

Gravesanth
16th Nov 2004, 12:14 PM
Dude, that's only for spectators - you can't see the locations of the players on the opposing team as a player ;)