Chat fragging.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
So what's your take on this... with the talk icon mutator in FragBU it makes it real easy to see who is standing and typing as opposed to just standing there or whatever. BUT... are you one to take the shot anyway?

I found out the past 2 FragBU's that yes... indeed... I am one of those people. :lol:
I do feel somewhat bad about it, I don't get major gratification out of it, but it does make me feel better knowing I'm not going to run past the talking person, only to have a rocket shoved up my ass a second after passing them. :D

So if you are one of these people.. I do apologize if it's "not your way." I don't really mean to do it, half the time the little icon still doesn't register with me and it's instinct to fire away at the opposite color. ;)

(Although I really do apologize heavily to Overload last night on DuelingKeeps, I just couldn't help myself... I don't get many headshots ;) )

dXII][Pa

FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Jan 3, 2004
I try not to fire at someone chatting as a lot of people consider it rude to do so. But sometimes I just fire instictivly before I realize they are chatting.

And I seldom get angry or upset if anyone fires at me while I'm chatting because if it is a competitive game I shouldn't be chatting at all and if it is all for fun game then a frag don't matter.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I generally try not to on FragBU because it's a more relaxed atmosphere. But I have been burned a lot by passing someone up who is chatting, only to be fragged by them a few seconds later as I'm running away... so I'm keeping tabs! ;) I pass you by... you should give me a pass when you finish your sentence and my back is still towards you! :D

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Most of the time that I manage to typekill someone, it's because I either didn't notice (too far away) or I was spamming flak and rockets around and just managed to kill someone by chance. ;)

LooseCannon

... but it's not pink ... ooh yes it is!
Oct 27, 2004
Hampshire, UK
Look, I'm trying 'develop my skills' ;) , but...

If it moves, shoot it. That could be someone on my team or even me via a wall!

If it doesn't move, shoot it. Again, that could be anyone.

I do try not to shoot someone chatting. I find I usaully notice the character with their hand to their ear before the talk icon. Never the less, the talk icon does help.

It takes me ages to type a message. Well, one that isn't nonsense anyrate. So I think people should at least leave me alone ;)

Last night at Euro Frag I spawnd, ran/dodged, picked up some weapon, turned the corner and shot Taleweaver (aka Golden_Dragon) in the head. Then my brain registered that he was typing a greeting to me :eek:

btw that was the only time got more than a scratch on G_D :( :)

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Epic need to sort that for the next UT...

d][Pa said:
I try not to fire at someone chatting as a lot of people consider it rude to do so. But sometimes I just fire instictivly before I realize they are chatting.

Same here. If I do realise that they're chatting, I'll normally fire a few "warning shots" around them :D Which can actually be a little risky due to UT's ever-so-slightly dodgy hit detection...

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Heh, if I fire warning shots, it's shock beam to the chest. They get a 40dmg warning.

The trick though is, because of the "they might come back theory", is not to worry about whether or not to shoot them when they stand still, but what you do when you are typing, and somone gives you the pass. If you get passed by, usually what I do, is make a concious effort to move in the direction they came from. That way you don't stab them in the back for having had mercy on you, and after so many feet are traveled, or so much time has passed with no chat, then game on. Or, simply don't shoot at that person, until they fire at you first. Been trying to make that general habbit anyways... but flak really sucks.

CBA

Proud ::VeC:: Member
Oct 31, 2004
Belgium
vec.be
Well i'm always shooting the ppl that are typing, if they want to type they should join irc not ingame, ingame i'm only playing :)

dub

Feb 12, 2002
During Frag BU's I really try not to hit typing players - specially as it's meant to be all about fun.
To get the fun aspect, you need to hear the 'gf' 'lol' 'ns' etc... for it to be fun... hence you need to type.
Obviously I have also killed the odd typer out of reflex - but I tend to appologise for it.
If I get killed whilst typing and don't recieve an appology, I tend to let people know, by typing "nice kill" or "skillfull shot"... :rolleyes:

btw. also appologies for not typing too many comments during the frag Bu's.
That's down to the fact that I play on the Keypad, and I need to move the entire keyboard to type... so usually I can't be bothered to type comments (or it just takes me a while)

Old Gil

°J2°'s resident lagger
Jun 20, 2004
i usually pass them, and its sort of a understaned rule that if i let u live while you choose to type, you leave me alone until im out of site

dub

Feb 12, 2002
You should only stop thechat if you accept the risks of doing so

In a competitive enveronment, yes - but not during fun games ala FragBU...

Also, if you blatantly see someone is chatting... killing him in that situation can only mean that your trying to rack up kills the easy way... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Most of the time I try to avoid it. I always run a circle around those guys for fun (don't know why actually).

The only exception so far was in a match in CTF-Spidercrossing, where I noticed someone chatting almost in our flag room. I don't mind chatting, but they should get a neutral spot if they want to avoid being shot to bits...and they shouldn't complain when it happens to them anyway. ;)

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
You're in my base = you're dead

Taleweaver said:
The only exception so far was in a match in CTF-Spidercrossing, where I noticed someone chatting almost in our flag room. I don't mind chatting, but they should get a neutral spot if they want to avoid being shot to bits...and they shouldn't complain when it happens to them anyway. ;)

In FFA, then it's generally bad form to nail a typer. That doesn't apply in team games IMO, and it especially doesn't if they're anywhere near my base :)

The Warden

this is usually where youll find me
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
I won't do it out of respect. hell if your standing there I won't kill you either. it usually means you haven't quite got into the game yet (Via M&Ms) your you walked away from your keyboard.

as Hal and other said when I leave you alone Don't freakin shoot me in the back!

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Well here is my take on the whole "type killing" situation. If your in the open, i will turn you into a nice puddle of meat no if's, ands or buts. If you dont want to be type killed, then i suggest you find a nice secluded area to do your typing.

Off to work i go now :(

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
I really try to avoid typekilling, especially when I'm playing with friends, but accidents do happen. More often than not I run up to them and hump them, then run off.

I consider it cheap when I'm typekilled, but I don't get too uppity about it. I may tease the person a bit, but it's nothing to cry about. It's the risk you take - if you stop moving, you stand a good chance of getting pasted against the wall.

But I do agree - if I pass someone by only to be fragged by them seconds later, then the shieldgun comes out. Feigning talking is little better than feigning death in my book.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I almost always avoid killing typing people, except for the random instances where I fire at them before I realize they're typing. Not much I can do but run the other direction so they won't know it was me after I've launched a rocket instinctively at someone typing before it registered not to shoot them. I even tried not to kill Warden last night when we were playing on Campgrounds with four people, since he seemed to be "not into" the game. I still found myself shooting him a lot out of the habit of shooting anything that moves, but I always avoided killing him if I could. I also avoid killing people who are just standing around, unless they're just standing around being whiny and such. In certain instances, I'll do something goofy to the typer/stander-arounder (thank you, college). Last night on VCTF-BattleLine, I was jumping on Slayer Dragon's head over and over because he was standing still, presumably away from the keyboard. Then (I think it was Dark Pulse; damn bad memory) someone came over and watched me for a bit, then put a grenade on Slayer and blew me up the next time I jumped on him. :lol: There's really no reason to take FragBU too seriously. Be competitive to a point, just so the games don't all suck, but make sure it's fun.