PDA

View Full Version : Banned from ETG IRC-server

CoolDude
11th Nov 2004, 03:30 AM
We had a small LAN party over the weekend. When playing some JBIII maps with an IRC-client (JB-Speedbreak, JB-Cavern, JB-Community) 8 players at the same time tried to connect to the #utjb IRC-channel on EnterTheGame. Because from the same IP-adress only three connections are allowed, the others couldn't connect. I can understand that.

However because of this, it seems that now my IP adress seems to be banned from connecting to EnterTheGame IRC-server. I get some warning about "Flooding" and it disconnects.

Anybody knows what I can do to solve this (no, changing my IP-adress is not an option). Will this automatically be solved in time, or do I need to contact someone to fix this?

Mychaeel
11th Nov 2004, 03:53 AM
Does that "some warning" say something specific? That'd be the first place I'd look.

Otherwise, have a look at http://help.enterthegame.com -- if your answer is not in the warning, I'm sure it's on that website somewhere. If all else fails, just contact their support.

CoolDude
11th Nov 2004, 01:45 PM
OK this is the message, it's even got a reference number:
[20:16] * You were killed by Services.EnterTheGame.Com (([Ref#:96827 - Expires:11/12/04] 5 clone flood))
-
[20:16] Closing Link: xxx.xxx.xxx.nl CoolDude (Killed (Services.EnterTheGame.Com ([Ref#:96827 - Expires:11/12/04] 5 clone flood)))
-
[20:16] * DisconnectedIt looks like my ban will expire on 11/12/04.
Hmmm ... does that mean the 11th of December of the 12th of November?
Or if I try again tommorow, will it then say: Expires:11/12/04?
We will see.

Birelli
11th Nov 2004, 03:46 PM
ETG is based in the US so I'd say it's Nov. 12 most likely

Mychaeel
12th Nov 2004, 04:04 AM
...which is the precise reason people should stick to the international standard (http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html) YYYY-MM-DD date format...

TheSpoonDog
12th Nov 2004, 11:50 PM
Would be a good idea, but I don't think I've ever seen that "international standard" used before... o_O

Birelli
13th Nov 2004, 12:04 AM
I've seen it but it's usually in coding with standard time/date functions. I store dates that way myself because if you do alpha-numeric sorting on them you actually get the proper result (in other words a bunch of dates in that format can be sorted without the system actually "knowing" it's a date and doing lots of calculations with it). It actually kind of surprises me that an auto-ban system would be non-standard like that, they'd probably have to write a conversion function from some kind of standard date format to the US customary one to display it that way.

Edit: Um, I just read Mych's link and it pretty much says what I said, sorry.

CoolDude
13th Nov 2004, 05:57 AM
But anyway, it seems to be working again.
It means your IP will be banned from EnterTheGame for exactly 1 week when "flooding" (or after having a LAN party and playing JBIII maps with an IRC-client in them ;) ).