Unreal Fortress Evolution Update

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
Jason of the Unreal Fortress Evolution team sent word that they have been working on getting their new website up, and that their new forums and IRC channel have been opened. Here's the scoop:

The Unreal fortress evolution site has been down for a few weeks now we are currently working on a new site, and are unable to get the old site working again. We will keep you posted. We may also have some excellent news end of November, heres the address for the forums and the IRc channel

IRC: irc.quakenet.org #unfe
Forums: http://finewolf.colute.net/unfeforums/index.php

He also sent along a few very rad screenshots of their latest progress:

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site
I think they are wasting far too much time on doing the models (which aren't that great).Fortress is primarily a gameplay modification,they should have done this modifications first and released the game like that, then release the cosmetic enhancements after.
They should also try to innovate a bit and use vehicles and please don't redo the same old maps again.

U

UNFE|Jason

We didnt waste our time

People wouldnt be happy with a mutator, we didnt waste time on models, lets be fair how would the community react if we done this " its not fortress" that would have been the response, how would we have done the grenades without the players models or sentry guns or most of the weapons.

Anyway

Models : 100%
Textures :100%
Sounds : 100%
Animations :100%
Maps : 90% (10 % tweaking and slight debugging)
Coding : around 80-90%

Wheh you see how the game is your understand why we done things the way we did, im not flamming you but maybe your understand more when you see the mod.

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site
Hey I'm not flaming, sorry.
I consider myself a veteran of fortress games.I've followed every fortress gametype/mod on most of the FPS platforms, I've played entire days of this game like a zombie.
I don't know exactly if you have already released a beta, but I think that in the development process of this mod you should release a playable version as soon as possible.Because getting feedback is vital, I've seen countless versions of this mod fail after working for months and months because the game was unplayable and too difficult to tweak.
This is why I was saying to leave the cosmetics for the end and focus on releasing stable working versions so that the community gets into your mod because, and this is another common mistake for most mods, if the audience doesn't feel implied in the devellopment, they will simply overlook your mod.

Also all of these mod teams I've seen, always tried to redo the original maps from the time of Quake2 and half-life.Why?
It was good at the good old times but it would be better with ut2004-grade maps, not conversions.

U

UNFE|Jason

TaoPaiPai said:
Hey I'm not flaming, sorry.
I consider myself a veteran of fortress games.I've followed every fortress gametype/mod on most of the FPS platforms, I've played entire days of this game like a zombie.
I don't know exactly if you have already released a beta, but I think that in the development process of this mod you should release a playable version as soon as possible.Because getting feedback is vital, I've seen countless versions of this mod fail after working for months and months because the game was unplayable and too difficult to tweak.
This is why I was saying to leave the cosmetics for the end and focus on releasing stable working versions so that the community gets into your mod because, and this is another common mistake for most mods, if the audience doesn't feel implied in the devellopment, they will simply overlook your mod.

Also all of these mod teams I've seen, always tried to redo the original maps from the time of Quake2 and half-life.Why?
It was good at the good old times but it would be better with ut2004-grade maps, not conversions.

I was against to some extent remaking every map we could, but the community keept asking for this and that map, you see some remakes and some new one's, I personally get more pleasure out of making new fortress maps. With regards to the cosmetics of the map, Testers moaned about getting stuck on stuff and not being able to rocket jump because ceeling has static meshes blah blah (you get the picture, and I can see there point ) so we opted for remakes to be closer to originals because people are used to this.

The cosmetics are done and alot of content is in and going in so dont worry your be pleased we took the time to make sure everything is good.