Strange and interesting problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

E-Pimp

n00b
Oct 19, 2004
Australia
I have an interesting situation. Someone approached me with a problem they were having with their computer.

The way they described the problem was as follows:
1. The computer goes into hibernate mode.
2. The computer turns off
3. The computer will just refuse to turn back on unless the power cable is removed and then put back in.

Now this is really strange. She thought it might be a virus but how the hell would a virus affect the computer not getting power after turning back on?
The best theory that I could come up with is something is tripping in the PSU that sends a signal to the motherboard or something (if that's possible) motherboard gets windows to hibernate and the computer turns off. However I'm not sure if that is possible.
One of the main problems with this situation is that 2 other people who she knows actually have the exact same problem. The computer isn't normally going into hibernate (via some dodgy power settings I guess it's possible) as most of the time they would be doing something on the computer and it would happen.

Anyone got any ideas on this?

E-Pimp

P.S. I know this doesn't abide by the strict rules for toubleshooting as I do not know the specs etc of the computer as I haven't seen it and the person would have no clue as to what the computer specs were.

I_Like_Fire

Smokin Bad Ass
May 4, 2004
Change the PSU, and also the PSU carries a charge even after the power plug has been pulled out to drain it have the psu turned off and hold the power button in for about 5 seconds.

E-Pimp

n00b
Oct 19, 2004
Australia
hmm.. I told her to take it to an electrician to look at because there should be no problem in the first place.

E-Pimp