PDA

View Full Version : Not So Ultimate Custom Map Server with UT2Vote

NotoriousBIC
23rd Oct 2004, 01:45 PM
This is a post from the Atari forums. CyberManX asked me to post it here so here goes:

Originally posted by CyberManX.com
ProAsm,

Evidently the array or whatever that holds the map list for UT2Vote is only capable of holding 256 maps in the list. Well my server is currently running 314 maps and growing. Is this something I can modify myself or can you please release a new version soon that can be capable of listing that many maps? I really do not want to have to go with the default map voting.

ProAsm
23rd Oct 2004, 03:48 PM
Its not UT2Vote that restricts this but UT2004 will only allow 255 maps per string struct.
To increase this one has to use 2, 3 or 4 such structs and this will cause enormous lag to the server and totally unecessary as it is virtually impossible to select a map amongst 255 maps let alone 512 or more.
255 maps is already pushing the Replication as these map names need all to be pushed to the client everytime they call the map menu.
255 maps per gametype is the limit.

CyberManX
27th Oct 2004, 08:25 AM
Its not UT2Vote that restricts this but UT2004 will only allow 255 maps per string struct.
To increase this one has to use 2, 3 or 4 such structs and this will cause enormous lag to the server and totally unecessary as it is virtually impossible to select a map amongst 255 maps let alone 512 or more.
255 maps is already pushing the Replication as these map names need all to be pushed to the client everytime they call the map menu.
255 maps per gametype is the limit.

ProAsm,

Welp I went ahead and registered so I could discuss this a little further as I really liked UT2Vote. Your statements above are not entirely correct. It is not virtually impossible to select a map amongst 255 as I am currently running 335 maps and people do not have a problem finding a map they want to play.

As far as pushing the Replication, I assume you are speaking of something specific in UT2Vote? Because the normal map voting DOES NOT push the maps available to vote on to the client each time it is called. The map list is downloading at the BEGINNING of the match (after map load, etc.) and only one time. Also, this time is cut significantly if the map list is the same and does not change. So this would really only affect first time users or when a map was added. Also, the map list download can easily be offset with adding a few more seconds to the match start.

I really wish you would reconsider and just add in code that if the server has more than 255 maps, it will then load an additional structure to be able to hold all the maps in the map voting list. If you are saying it can't be done because of the reasons above, then you should look deeper into it as I don't think it will cause as much lag as you think it will. However, if you just don't want to do it, well then that's fine cause I can't make you. =P I am just saying this problem will arise more and more as new maps are coming out daily and other server administrators are closely reaching that 255 mark. Thanks for your hard work on UT2Vote and look forward to your response. Also, I will be happy to assist in any testing neccessary if you take on this task.

Sincerely,
CyberManX

CyberManX
30th Oct 2004, 12:55 PM
ProAsm,

Any chance on a reply to the above?

ProAsm
30th Oct 2004, 01:20 PM
As far as pushing the Replication, I assume you are speaking of something specific in UT2Vote? Because the normal map voting DOES NOT push the maps available to vote on to the client each time it is called. The map list is downloading at the BEGINNING of the match (after map load, etc.) and only one time.INCORRECT!!
You are confusing UT2Vote with Mapvote and they are TOTALLY different to one another, both in appearance and in their manner of operation.

Somewhere I have a writeup on the difference between the 2.
Basically Mapvote is a Clientside voting utility and UT2Vote is a Serverside voting utility.
Mapvote only replicates the Mapnames once in the beginning of the game.
UT2Vote replicates the Mapnames everytime the Client calls the menu.
At the end of the day it may seem UT2Vote is a bit cumbersome but I can assure you its at least 10 times faster than anything Mapvote has to offer and was originally designed for 56k modem users.

Now to add another 255 maps would be a nightmare as you have to cater for all 512 maps even if you only have 10 or 300.
Duplicate routines for everything and the moment UT2Vote goes over 600k it looses its Standard Server Whitelisting and thats only 60k away :(

Already we are striking serious map prefix problems when there are more than 200 maps on a server so I may have to reduce the number and not increase it :)

CyberManX
30th Oct 2004, 01:35 PM
Well that stinks. Thanks for the reply even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear. =P