Need opinions on my next model concepts: Prof. Farnsworth from FUTURAMA

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Slyrr77

Apr 25, 2004
Since some folks are doing more Futurama based models (Leela and Fry) to go along with my Bender model, I pretty much made up my mind to do the delightfully weird Prof. Farnsworth as my next UT2004 game model.

However, his character raises some interesting problems.

As most of you know, I'm a stickler for realism these days and keeping characters in character - that is to say, not doing anything they wouldn't be able to do in 'real life'.

Yes, it's a fake game with fake physics. Yes, Prof. Farnsworth is a cartoon character and it seems oxymoronic to talk about 'real life' issues when the subject is a cartoon.

But even characters like this are enhanced by realistic presentation.

In the show, the Professor is a doddering old wreck. To the best of my knowledge (and I own the DVD set) he has never broken into a full run. If situations require speed, he's always carried by one of the other characters. He also doesn't twist, bend, or flex in any extreme or athletic way.

But UT2004 requires this kind of action. In game, the professor must run, crouch, jump, flip, swim and do all kinds of acrobatics. And I just can't envision him doing that on his own - even in a fake game with fake physics. It just wouldn't look 'natural'.

I've toyed with some different ideas on how to get around this, but I need second opinions before I actually start modelling and animating. Here are the options I've got so far....

1) The Professor ignores his age and brittle bones, and his model runs, jumps, flexes and crouches like all the other models do, with no enhancements.
Pros - no extra bells/whistles needed
Cons - having an old codger doing all that stuff just isn't in character

2) The professor wears some kind of leg exo-skeleton to enhance his running/jumping/crouching ability.
Pros - gets around the old codger limitation
Cons - the leg setup would be some kind of cyber-thingy and he wouldn't have his normal cartoon 'look'.

3) The professor scoots around using the "hover chair" he used in the "Roswell that Ends Well" episode.
Pros - My personal favorite idea. It opens up all kinds of fun things like having him fall asleep for some animations and snoring as he zips around.
Cons - The chair would almost certainly clip through the vehicles when he pilots those. Unless someone knows how to remove the chair mesh for that animation without UED freaking out.

farns00.jpg

As I said, I'm leaning toward the chair since it would keep him in 'character' and preserve his cartoon persona. I would even overlook a clipping chair in the vehicles in favor of that. But I'm looking for a majority opinion. I always try to make the best, so rev up your squeaky wheels and tell me what you think before I have to resort to my OWN judgement....

Slyrr

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I like Farnsworth as much as the next guy. good news everyone.

but why do him when you can do Zap. I've mated with a woman....inform the men

profile.brannigan.gif

Last edited:

Slyrr77

Apr 25, 2004
I already made up my mind :) I'll leave Zap to others. Plus, that doesn't really answer my request for opinions about what I posted.

All who read the post, please confine your responses to "what kind of concept works for Prof. Farnsworth?" I don't want this to be the "What Futurama model should be made next?" thread - start another seperate thread for that.....

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Ok...I don't know anything about modelling, so just tell me if it's impossible, but...
The 'sitting in a vehicle' is an animation, right? Is it possible to make it that when the professor enters a vehicle, the chair automatically shrinks to a tiny proportion of its size, so it doesn't show anything but a blanket over the normal seat.
But even if it doesn't work...I still vote for the chair. After all, you don't drive a vehicle that much.

Last edited:

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
Before I even got halfway through your post, I was thinking the chair idea. I think that would be the best way to go. Plus like you said.. it has a lot of neat possibilities for animations and such. That or use your noggin and modeling skills to come up with something differnt. Farnsworth is one of the modst brilliant inventors of the time. Who else could create a universe in a box? No reason he couldn't invent a contraption to help him out in the tourneys. (Although if you went this route the colander/spagetti-strainer headpiece would be a must!!!)

CountBloody

The Undead Spider Whore
Aug 13, 2004
I don't know how to model too, but if you can shrink the chair so that the Professor can work/looks well with the vehicles. Then I say test the model with the chair & see how it looks.

And if it doesn't look good, try the leg exo-skeleton, or how about having him getting a piggyback from Zap.

And for a request how about after your done with the Professor, making a model of Dr. Zoidberg?

Also I think it would be a cool idea if sum1 & yourself made a Futurama mod.

Last edited:

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
Scumgrief said:
Give 'im the chair! The CHAIR! Hehhehehmmmhhehmmehehhe

beavis.jpg
OMG Scum :lol: That just made my morning.

Slyrr, I agree, give'em the chair! Just don't make it too wide that it makes the hit detection poor. And it doesn't necessarily have to be the recliner either. The professor has a lot of chairs. ;)

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I don't want to be a stick in the mud but having the prof. sitting in a non animated chair is going to make him move like a Monopoly piece.

What are dodges going to look like?

What will shield climbs look like?

A character sitting in a chair (in scale) will have a lower head height than a regular player. Will headshots be as difficult to hit as the Raptor model.

I'd say go with some Robotic leg things so it's as close to a Regular model as possible.

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
Hanover_Fist said:
A character sitting in a chair (in scale) will have a lower head height than a regular player. Will headshots be as difficult to hit as the Raptor model.
Not if he makes the chair hover. If the chair is done right, he will be the same height as everyone else and not much wider.

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
Effigy = Cool.
Effigy + Professor = Not Cool.

I've given it more thought. Han, you're right, a hoverchair wouldn't have much animation to it, but I don't see that as a problem. I imagine it looking and moving similar a miniature Manta. IMO, it would be pretty cool to see as old dude cruising around in a hoverchair. :D

Anyway, a hovering chair would be sweet Slyrr, definitely go for that. :tup: It fits the character perfectly. When you think about it, a chair doesn't need to be much wider than the character himself. If you do it right, it will look sweet as hell and it shouldn't have a negative effect on how it plays. A recliner might be a bit too wide, causing poor hit detection, and that hurts playability. However, judging by your other models I think you'll be able to make the right choices/modification for UT2004. :tup:

Is there anyway to just make the chair disappear when he is in a vehicle?

scientistb.gif

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
You can shrink player heads and vehicle wheels, so I'm sure if you set up the chair as a separate entity (however you do that in animating the skeleton), you can shrink it when he enters a vehicle.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Can you at least animate the chair a little. Like if he stops for a bit (camping) he pulls the lever and puts his feet up, and then when he goes forward it goes back into place?

Or maybe some little flame jets that puff to the side when he goes left and right?

Old Gil

°J2°'s resident lagger
Jun 20, 2004
i like the chair idea and when u make the voicepack you gotta add the phrase "i curse zoidburg!!!!" i cracked up when i heard that the first time

and for anyone erading this... if u could make an old gil model... id be your best freind... forever... and ever... and EVER