Great and easy tut for making great skyboxes (Think Call Of Duty or T:V Quality)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ravu al Hemio

Comes, fixes, leaves.
Sep 1, 2004
Austria
The same tutorial, rewritten for the GIMP

Interesting tutorial... I think I'll just write one for the GIMP.

After each step, if there is an OK button to click in the dialog boxes, click it.

1. Launch the GIMP and create a new file. Make sure it has a decent size - all from 512x512 up to the megalomaniacal 4096x4096 can be done... even though that is a bit much, since the framerate drops with detail. Fill it with white.

2. Use the Filters > Render > Clouds > Solid Noise... filter. Tick Randomize and untick Turbulent. Set Detail to 5 and both the sizes to about 4.

3. Apply Filters > Blur > Gaussian Blur (RLE)... and set the sizes to a value between 5 and 10. This smoothens the clouds a little.

4. Open up Tools > Color Tools > Brightness-Contrast... and set the Contrast slider to a number between 100 and 127. The program generates a preview anytime you change the value, so you can see how it should look like. I mostly use 120. The picture may now look a bit extreme, but that will change soon.

5. Activate the Filters > Colors > Colorify filter, clicking custom color and setting the sliders to a value of about FF9E00 in hexadecimals - a shade of orange.

6. Use Layer > Colors > Invert.

Lookin' nice, eh?

7. Save your file. I don't care where.

I might put it into a PDF later on.

Ravu al Hemio

Comes, fixes, leaves.
Sep 1, 2004
Austria
Shrimp said:
In Gimp 1.x step 4 would be Image -> Colours -> Brightness-Contrast. Step 6 would be Image -> Colours -> Invert. I assume you're using Gimp 2?
Err... *launches GIMP* yes. It seems to work on a per-layer basis.

*checks website* Arrrrrrgh! I am running on an outdated version!!! I have 2.0.4 and the most recent is 2.0.5! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!! :D

Anyway, both these methods give some pretty darn cool results :D
Oh yes! ;)

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Ravu al Hemio said:
Err... *launches GIMP* yes. It seems to work on a per-layer basis.

*checks website* Arrrrrrgh! I am running on an outdated version!!! I have 2.0.4 and the most recent is 2.0.5! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!! :D

Oh yes! ;)

cool though aren't the, perfect to really add atmosphere to a custom map.

Smokin

Nov 23, 2002
www.geocities.com
I had a look at the Tut it looks like it makes a cool sky texture, only how would you edit them into unrealed. I am only able to make Skyboxes with the Skyball static mesh and a 360deg Picture.

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
What I'd do was make a net-shape (six boxes) each box made of 1024*1024. Then I'd make sure the edges matched, split them up again, and import them into UnrealEd. BTW the one in my sig was paintwed in photoshop and not rendered, it's a slightly harder tutorial, but gives you more control over the clouds. It can be found here:

http://www.idigitalemotion.com/tutorials/guest/clouds/clouds.html