PDA

View Full Version : =WIP=Ancient Magician

The Helios
14th Oct 2004, 12:43 PM
Here are the first pics of my newest creation. For those who don't know what the hell are the symbols, they are runes. I need someone who can help me to get some "reflection" effect on the runes (you know, when a light source affect the body, the letter should shine or something like that) I don't know how to do it so, please, if anyone is interested I can send the .psd file with the letters separated on a different layer.
Expect more news soon. :)

daloonie
14th Oct 2004, 12:59 PM
You can't make it reflet real-time but you can apply a cubemap so it looks like it's reflecting the sorroundings or just a simple white dot on black background.

I can do it but you should do it for yourself it's very easy I'll guide you throu just quick for now:

1'st off you need to mark the runes( if you use Photoshop use the magic Wand or what it's called and click on the sorroundings of the runes and the invert the selection Ctrl+Shift+I).

2'nd When it's marked in photoshop save the selections as Alpha channel(Select->Save Selection-> Alpha and replace(if more layers the second should be add if Alpha is white)).

3'rd make a cubemap(not possible in ut2k4 the easy way) in ut2k3 and with the numpad you can easily change the pos. of the camera in Spectator mode(no bots is best) to the 6pics made. You have to resize the resolution to 512x512 or smaller not to make the skin too big. In windowed mode this is possible.
Else just make a single texture with something you wish to apply on top of the runes.

4'th in UrealED 3.0 import the cubemap or texture. If cubemap make a cubemap in the texture browser by File->New Choose Cubemap and name it simple.
Now you have to apply the 6 textures by where it should be placed right(I'll find a tut for you explaining numbers of the cubemaps).
Now last step making a cubemap. Make a TexEnvMap by File -> New -> TexEnvMap and apply either the cubemap or you texture(what you want to use) in the Material menu.

Now you have a shader :D

The Helios
14th Oct 2004, 01:11 PM
I'll try the suggestion, Rex. Let's see if I can get a good effect with the runes. But you forgot something: do you like this work? :D

daloonie
14th Oct 2004, 01:14 PM
Next on you need to apply it to the skin:

first Import your skin and then make a shader(File -> New -> Shader) and apply your skin as Diffuse.

Then in either 'Selfillumination' or 'Specular' add your 'shader'(made in the top post) by marking the texture and the use apply in the properties for your shader. You have to open your shader properties before marking the skin or shading thingies.

Then in 'SelfilluminationMask' or 'SpecularMask' add the skin or the external file you made with the Alpha Channel.

Now it is on your skin :D
Then if you want incredible effects the play wth the alpha channels density of black/white it will effect the strenght of the shading thingies on the skin.

Hard to understand? Yeah but I got some pics nex post.

daloonie
14th Oct 2004, 01:16 PM
Now this file explains the order of cubemap textures 1-6

daloonie
14th Oct 2004, 01:20 PM
And this the shader:

1: Place your skin here!

2:Place the shader thingie here.

3:This is where the Alpha Channel texture shoul be to mask the places the shader thingie is.

4: This does almost the same as '2'!

5: Excactly the same as '3' only this is effects only '4'

Last Opacity is if you want to mask the skin itself excactly the same way as the shaders.

This picture and the other is from my skin Dude found in my skinpack ;)

Lei Hng Wei
14th Oct 2004, 03:39 PM
How about this, instead of a reflective shader make the runes glow. There's a tut about glowing/animated textures out there somewhere.

daloonie
14th Oct 2004, 04:33 PM
Easy :D
Duplicate runes in photoshop to a new layer and add outer glow in blending options.
Or draw with a rather thick/big brush on a layer the color it should glow add some gaussian blur and make it overlay or just fiddle a little with Fill and or Opacity ;)

Darth_Chaos
14th Oct 2004, 05:21 PM
In a word-awesome.

The Helios
15th Oct 2004, 11:17 AM
I think I will try to make the glow effect and practice making a shader (but this is too new and complicated for me, need time to check it all out). But thanks for the suggestions :) . After the weekend I will bring more news. Stay tuned. :D

daloonie
15th Oct 2004, 12:40 PM
Well it's not complicated it took me a couple a minutes to find out but a hint from Klasnic helped me to understand what the Shader actually did. The cubemap I read in a tut on udn ;)

But it's really easy when you know how.

Anyways it sounds really good can't wait to see what you have in mind Helios :D

Nines
15th Oct 2004, 03:14 PM
Looks good!! :)
I think you should recolor it and change the color of the eyes.

The Helios
15th Oct 2004, 04:47 PM
Well, thanks all and glad you like it! :)

The eyes are crystal-look like because I imagine an artificial sense on the skin. It's hard to explain but I'll add TC and you may choose between redm blue or the original golden. And Rex, thanks for your mini tut with pics and everything :D.

The Helios
18th Oct 2004, 10:30 AM
Rex, or anyone, need some help here! I tried to make the cubemap but I forgot something: I have to take the alpha tex I made and turn it in the six positions it requires? Because I tested the model in-game and the light affect the runes but no "reflection" effect is visible. Perhaps I can send you the .utx/.upl files to see what happens.

Lei Hng Wei
18th Oct 2004, 08:16 PM
Here's an example of what you want, right?

Nalid
19th Oct 2004, 08:25 AM
Ooooh.... nice image.

<Ganks>

Lei Hng Wei
19th Oct 2004, 10:29 AM
Gank away. The Blizzard artists have a site (http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/index.html) showcasing all of their art.

Mmm... pretty...

Nalid
19th Oct 2004, 02:14 PM
Yeah... Sammwise is my hero. He is and has been the inspiration for my art for many.... many years, and I hope to one day work for Blizzard. Blizzard and Bungie are the two greatest game companies in my opinion, Epic close by. They just get involved with thier fans so much its inspiring.

The Helios
20th Oct 2004, 10:00 AM
Lei, you seem to read my mind :lol: . That's the effect I'm trying to get! Sorry for the long delay, does anybody have a tutorial to make the effect (or how to get the cubemaps because UEd is crashing)?

The Helios
20th Oct 2004, 02:15 PM
Well, let's be a bit more clear. Ignore the above post. I have already made the cubemap and here are the pics (attached as thumbnails). I'll play with the effect to see what I get. Thanks Rex for the quick tut! :)

Mr.Wigglez
20th Oct 2004, 05:27 PM
you should make the yellow lights glow like klasnic does with some of his skins. that would pull that skin off alot better.

The Helios
21st Oct 2004, 11:38 AM
I'll try to make the glow effect (since I have the TC, runes and Alpha channel, it won't be a terrible problem). For now I submitted the Ancient Magician to SkinCity. I'll start testing some glow effects and then submit the second and improved version.
In the meantime, I left three pics so you can see a little the tiny effect of runes running through his body.

Nalid
21st Oct 2004, 12:48 PM
Great stuff.. I like the Nordic rune effect... can't wait to see them glowing. ^_~

By the way, did you put any messages on him? Some of us can read that suff y'know.. as much as anyone can these days. Its hard to tell in the pictures though, I picked up "Arcr" off his leg. =P

The Helios
21st Oct 2004, 03:28 PM
In the next version (Orc Avatar, basically the same but runes applied to another skaarj) I'll add the glow effect. The runes say something but due to some problems at the moment of fitting them correctly in the skin I have to remove some letters and the sense was lost. Don't worry, the next time I'll add some messages for those who like secrets ;)

Basically the message was: "He, who has the power to defy enemies has the power to travel past the years directly to eternity", The Helios.

I used the keyboard default options to make the message, not something like the Mode of Beleriand or Tengwar/Tethar thingies (which must be used with Tengwar fonts... in my next skin :D ).

URGENT REQUEST: >>If anyone can guide or explain me how to get the glow effect (I tried but only get crashes) I will be really grateful. Basically I want to apply it only on the runes/letters NOT the whole body (I don't want a lighter).

Nines
22nd Oct 2004, 02:03 PM
It looks good, but you gotta make it something else than green!!
That's what i think.
And you've got to get it glowing!!

The Helios
23rd Oct 2004, 08:40 AM
That's what I'm trying to do, Titan :D . The next release (Orc Avatar) will have the glowing stuff and better make off on TC (I just didn't have time now to pass the brush). Besides, I started my searchs for a good tut about glowing effects... Klasnic, you have left right when I need you :lol:

Hide
28th Oct 2004, 09:39 AM
Do you want to make shader like this?

Bite_Me333
28th Oct 2004, 09:50 AM
Ooooh pretty glowy lights.:) :) :) :)

How did you do that???

Lei Hng Wei
28th Oct 2004, 10:34 AM
That's what Helios' Orc needs. :tup:

Ya know, with the design of the ECE Necris and the glow shader, one can easily turn him into a jogger. :lol:

The Helios
28th Oct 2004, 12:52 PM
Do you want to make shader like this?

Aha, Hide, you have really the sense to detect things! :) Please theach the secret to this poor n00b on skinning :D Please!

daloonie
28th Oct 2004, 04:01 PM
Tell us Hide we only bite if you don't :D

I really want to explore that effect into small and tiny bits it's exciting :D

Useful links for now:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/MaterialsEnvironmentMaps#Environment_Maps

Couldn't find any tuts on the glowy texture on UDN :(

Hide
30th Oct 2004, 12:34 AM
There are no secrets.
This is a basic usage of "SelfIllumination". :)

However, "SelfIllumination" does not illuminate.
"SelfIllumination" is the effect which keeps the brightness of color original in the place where the lights do not illuminate it.

So, first of all, you need to draw the picture that seems glowing. :lol:
The rex explained how to draw it in a reply before.
However, if you use "layer style", you can draw it more easily.
Make the glowing part in the separated layer.

Next, make a alpha cannel for "SelfIlluminateionMask".
Make a black layer and set the layers that only the glowing parts can be seen.
Then, make the alpha channel from it.

And. ajjust the levels of brightness and contrast of the alpha channel.
Adjust the parts to glow become white.

The rest, set the same texture which add the glowing parts to "Diffuse" and "SelfIllumination", and set the texture which has alpha channel for glowing to "SelfIllminationMask".
(By the appended texture, in order to make easily to understand, the textures which are different in "SelfIllumination" and "SelfIllminationMask" are used.
If the basic texture has the alpha channel for mask, you can set the same texture to "SelfIllumination" and "SelfIlluminationMask".)

Hide
30th Oct 2004, 03:14 AM
For example...

daloonie
30th Oct 2004, 08:14 AM
Thanks Hide I'll get right on it and see what I can make with that effect :D

The Helios
30th Oct 2004, 09:57 AM
Thanks, Hide! You are the best! :notworthy:

BTW, how can I PM you? You seem to don't have that option enabled... And I really want to comment a few things.

Bite_Me333
30th Oct 2004, 01:28 PM
Umm ... how do you make an alpha layer( in Paint shop Pro) and is the shader properties in Ued???

Im confused :(