Misplaced maps

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ntwarr

Slayer Blade
Aug 4, 2004
Tradious
www.s3.invisionfree.com
well i found this site having my maps on it...
(if you haven't clicked the box do so now)

CLICK THIS

and i didn't sumbit them here is that angist nalicity?
or i'm not getting the picture here is against the rules?
if so I willl like to place my own maps where i want them not other people

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
?

Why woudln't Nali City want your maps? It's up to you where you submit isn't it?

Quite honestly I'm not really understanding what you mean or what type of answer you expect....

I thought UTCMS has really become an archive site these days and didn't deal with new stuff much. Whatever..............

Last edited:

XepptizZ

What are you lookin at...
May 17, 2004
In solitude
Many JB maps have been placed at NC, but mostly not by the author even though the author's name is correct.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Thanks for the clarification....

Ntwarr said:
did you go to the site given? by THE LARGE LETTERS SAYING "CLICK THIS!" somebody posted "My maps" on a other site than nalicity
Obvioulsy I did click the link to UTCMS. Now that you have posted as in the quote above I understand what you are saying. Somebody OTHER THAN YOU has submitted your maps somewhere.

Not good. If you think it has something to do with NC you should message the admins.. I'm only a visitor here myself.

Obviously this situation should not have happened without your permission and I hope you get to the bottom of it.

Last edited:

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Maybe you should ask questions of UTCMS

Ntwarr said:
ok then it's not just me if you posted a map there then that person has your map

I don't like this at all

Website was found by google search: "Ntwarr"

Your maps can be there as well
Have you actually talked to the admins. at UTCMS? Surely if someone posted anything there they would have to be logged in and, therefore, there would be a record of the login.

I'm not familiar with your maps but you are right not to like it. It's your work and anything to do with your work requires your permission.

Make enquiries...

XepptizZ

May 17, 2004
In solitude
Weird idea isn't it? The maps you placed at NC to be distributed over the web? it's those damn groupies!!! Before you know it people will be sending you puke-hair for some reason, I finally had to place a "NO FANMAIL" sticker on my mailbox.

But if you read what is stated in the read-me generator at NC it states:
Copyright / Permissions
-----------------------
This level is copyrighted by Steve Nabors.

Authors may not NOT use this level as a base to build additional levels.

You are NOT allowed to commercially exploit this level, i.e. put it on a CD
or any other electronic medium that is sold for money without my explicit
permission!

You MAY distribute this level through any electronic network (internet,
FIDO, local BBS etc.), provided you include this file and leave the archive
intact.

Ntwarr

Slayer Blade
Aug 4, 2004
Tradious
www.s3.invisionfree.com
I thinking where to do so it doesn't say there i'll have to check

Note: Dosen't nalicity have a copyright? meaning if you didn't sumbit somewhere the mappers can all rights to take it off the thier site?

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
...amazed...

What amazes me (apart from the fact that someone has done this to you) is that whoever did this chose UTCMS/Furpile.com. Perhaps the people who did this have something against UTCMS as well as/or instead of you.

UTCMS is basically an archive. It's somewhere you go when you need redundant/semi-redundant .utx .umx etc. files. There are a lot of maps there but it all appears to be old stuff. (Or it was like that last time I went there for a serious look).

There have been some negative and revenge-driven posters around Nali City lately so, perhaps, this could be just as much revenge act against NC or UTCMS and you are the innocent victim.

Speaking of you as the victim, yes there are copyright laws both local and international and you have certain rights of ownership of your materials. At least you should be able to approach the admins./owners of UTCMS and explain that these materials were uploaded to them without your permission and that you want them removed.

You should also contact the site admins. here at BU/NC and see if they can give you any information about shonky uploads and /or link redirections.

And yes, copyright laws MAY attract criminal proceedings against those that break them. That will depend on a lot of things though........

Last edited:

MassChAoS

echo "NaliCity";
May 23, 2002
www.chaoticdreams.org
Oh joy, this one will be fun to explain...

UTCMS is owned by former (former in the sense that he is not very active) NC/BU staff guy named Varpu. By uploading to NC, I'm almost certain the map will appear on UTCMS because of the connections between Varpu and BU. Don't hold me to the last statement.

Normally a readme contains a statement that allows for FREE distribution of a map, if it is intact without modifications and the person doing the distribution gets no profit from it. I'm not sure if your zips contain those readme's or not, cause I don't read them (oh the irony...).

Then there is the frame of mind that a normal mapper has, which would be to have as many people as you can to play your maps, thus most mappers upload to multiple places. Its common to see your map spread around, get on servers, etc.

If you're really upset that people might actually find your map on another site, you can contact Varpu. In my opinion, its nothing to be upset or worried about.

Varpu

Novice Nali City Reviewer
May 21, 2001
Finland
furpile.com
Haveing map available @ UTCMS

First of all, my apologies of putting Your material publicly available on my site without asking Your permission first.

I have now disabled download feature for all the material You requested. All other features like server tracking are still available.

It is NOT my intention to benefit from archiving maps. It IS my intention to keep the material available.

You can chek the state of Your files and also the files of littlebunny.

Just FYI: You have been #2 to ask this kind of service during these 3 years the site has been up ....

You may be partially right in that that I should not keep material publicly available without a permission of the author(s). However - having the material already publicly available (in a game server for example) would be considered as a statement by itself ....

Most (99.99999%) of the mappers do not mind having their maps available as long as they are given the credit. I have tried to get at least the author name correct. Hopefully this has been fullfilled in Your case.

I can remove the non-downloadable flag - all You need to do is to say so.

BTW, I was about to start whining about the ripped music - howéver I noticed that at least the CTF-Mountianbase.umx had something to do with You ;)

XepptizZ

May 17, 2004
In solitude
Cool, even I'm up there and you've even taken the time to fill out the autors name I filled in the preview. I find this publicity not offensive at all and even like it, I placed my map on Mapraider and Unrealplayground as well as NC offcourse. It took me a while and I didn't like to do it, to much time and it takes out my bandwith.

And Varpu, could you be so kind to place the TacOps stuff up your site? It's a resource many people seem to use, but forget not everyone has TacOps, wich makes their levels regretably unplayable. i do have a nasty feeling in my guts the Mod has some kind of extended copy-wright.