Model mod crossovers

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gekras

Oct 11, 2004
I did a little searching of the boards and didn't find anything regarding my problem/question, so here goes.

I have a friend claiming that once he installed a model in UT2004, it showed up in his mods if compatible

When I install into the UT2004 directories, System etc. the models show up fine in UT2004 character selection, but not in my ChaosUT2 selection as he claims his do

The models are visible in the ChaosUT2 character selection after being added once again to UT2004/ChaosUT2/Sytem etc.

If the models are "supposed" to crossover like he claims, then that'd save me a lot of HD space over time.

Another thing, my UT2004 characters are displayed twice in the UT2004 selection screen, making the scroll box 2x what it should be, not that big of an issue, but annoying at times.

Also, I bought the UT2004 retail ECE edition and installed it in a custom directory.

I'd be happy to answer any questions if I haven't been specific enough, hopefully he's jerking my chain or this problem is easily solved.

Bono

Third Eye Open
Sep 25, 2004
Germany
Gekras said:
Another thing, my UT2004 characters are displayed twice in the UT2004 selection screen, making the scroll box 2x what it should be, not that big of an issue, but annoying at times.
This problem has already been discussed here.

As far as I know custom models / skins are removed from the ChaosUT player selection since version 3.01. Some of them (Effigy, Raptor and Magdalena for example) caused problems in Duel mode, because they didn't carry any melee weapons.

First try the solution in the above thread. If your problem isn't solved, post again in this thread. Perhaps someone has further suggestions.

Gekras

Oct 11, 2004
Thanks for the reply

Deleting the suggested files didn't fix the repeated character issue in regular UT

and I'm still curious about this model adding/crossover and how it is supposed to work, or if my friend is pulling my chain.

BinarySystem

Banned
Jun 10, 2004
Simply enough, some mods will allow this, others will not. It depends primarily on what's in their default.ini and if there's any UPL files in the system direction of the mod. If you want a model to be available in multiple mods you should be able to just copy the UPL files, and include your UT2004 animations/textures/etc. directories in the mod's paths, if they aren't already.

Gekras

Oct 11, 2004
"Include your UT2004 animations/textures/etc. directories in the mod's paths, if they aren't already"

I think I know what you mean but I'm also not sure

Could you dumb it down a bit

BinarySystem

Banned
Jun 10, 2004
Err, well kay, as you know the Unreal Engine loads it's textures, models, etcetera from package files, which are stored in directories. When a package is first referenced, it searches a predefined list of directories to try to find the package file. It will only find it if it's in one of these directories.

The Paths is the list of directories that the engine will search through. UT2004 has a list and each mod also has a list. Often the mod's list does not include the default UT2004 textures/staticmesh/animations etc directories. You need to add them.

For instance, Eden eclipse has the following paths:
Code:
Paths=../System/*.u
Paths=../Maps/*.ut2
Paths=../Textures/*.utx
Paths=../Sounds/*.uax
Paths=../Music/*.umx
Paths=../StaticMeshes/*.usx
Paths=../Animations/*.ukx
Paths=../Saves/*.uvx

Paths=../EdenEclipse_GameData/Saves/*.uvx
Paths=../EdenEclipse/System/*.u
Paths=../EdenEclipse/Maps/*.ut2
Paths=../EdenEclipse/Textures/*.utx
Paths=../EdenEclipse/Sounds/*.uax
Paths=../EdenEclipse/Music/*.ogg
Paths=../EdenEclipse/StaticMeshes/*.usx
Paths=../EdenEclipse/Animations/*.ukx
Paths=../EdenEclipse/Saves/*.uvx
Paths=../EdenEclipse/KarmaData/*.ka

Here you can see that it is including both the original UT2004 directories as well as it's mod subdirectories. If the first 8 entries there are missing from the mod's .ini file (in UT2004\ModName\System), you'll need to add them. You may also need to copy the UPL files as mentioned in my previous post.