Ports for firewall?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BlackLeaf

Sep 26, 2004
Recently I've noticed that I experience these bursts of lag on many servers, and especialy ones that are running AntiTCC. It happens both while I'm playing, and after I die. This has been getting really aggravating lately, and I'm wondering if it's because I don't have the proper ports being forwarded on my router's firewall. Should I be opening any ports at all for UT2k4 or does it work fine without? Note:I have not noticed any of these problems with the Ketner server, however I'm in Virginia which is where the server is I believe so that could be why.

The only other case could be that my ping is too high. On many servers lately it's around the 70-100 something mark. Though it's usually in the low 100s if at all. The thing is, I remember playing Q3 w/ a ping like that and not noticing any problems in regards to lag. Is the UT2k4 net code even more reliant on connection than Q3? I'm on a DSL connection, with the dynamic netspeed box checked OFF. I have the connection type set for Cable/ADSL. Should I try having the game preload character skins? I have 1024mb of ram on my computer but I don't have that box checked atm as I never saw the need for it in the past. I checked the VAR size in my ini and it's currently set to 32. Should I increase that number and are there any other ini tweaks I should be aware of?

Thank you for any help you are able to provide to this newbie ;)

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
AntiTCC is notorious for this lag, it's because it checks all the packages you got to make sure none of them are hacked, and this check makes your HD swap some stuff - which causes the lag.

There's nothing you can do about it, really, short of not playing on AntiTCC servers.

BlackLeaf

Sep 26, 2004
Aw man what a bummer. Oh well I guess I'll just have to deal with it or play against the bots if I don't feel like it. Thanks! :)