Player starts!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Smokin

Nov 23, 2002
www.geocities.com
Can you make it so that when you spawn in you take grid positions instead of spawning in any spot. Also it would be cool to have it so everyone spawns as cars before the race can start, so you dont start and spawn at the same time and also everyone can get to the start line before the race starts. :D

JACK SH!T

Evil Genius in a Nutshell
Sep 2, 2004
Smokin said:
Can you make it so that when you spawn in you take grid positions instead of spawning in any spot. Also it would be cool to have it so everyone spawns as cars before the race can start, so you dont start and spawn at the same time and also everyone can get to the start line before the race starts. :D
The mapper picks the spawn points when he builds the map. Just like any UT map. In UT if someone spawns on you, you die. In UW, you get a car dropped on your head :lol: As far as waiting for everyone to pick a car befor the race starts, just wouldn't make sence. UnWheel servers are few and far between. I'd hate to see a server stopped becouse someone walked away from their computer for a few min. I know I walk away to get a beer, answer the phone, or use the bathroom. I'd hate to be kicked for it, or have to wait on someone else for the map to start.

Last edited:

Smokin

Nov 23, 2002
www.geocities.com
Ok of course you would have a countdown to race starts its just that 3 secs isnt enough time for everyone to load the new map and get into the race on time, 30 secs is something alittle beter and you wouldnt be waiting a whole lifetime.
Also with the first part I know how to add spawn points the thing i wanted was a added in function in where you have 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th places on the grid and when people spawn in they take 1st place, then 2nd place, then 3rd place and so on not one person starting from 1st place and another starting from 6th place.

JACK SH!T

Sep 2, 2004
Smokin said:
Ok of course you would have a countdown to race starts its just that 3 secs isnt enough time for everyone to load the new map and get into the race on time, 30 secs is something alittle beter and you wouldnt be waiting a whole lifetime.
Also with the first part I know how to add spawn points the thing i wanted was a added in function in where you have 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th places on the grid and when people spawn in they take 1st place, then 2nd place, then 3rd place and so on not one person starting from 1st place and another starting from 6th place.
Well, it's kindda' like that now....1st one to connect picks their car and starts racing. If you don't have enough ram, or a slow connection, you start last.
I'm just one person, We'll need a few more people to express their oppion on this. I've seen people ask everyone to wait 'till all players pick their car, but no one seems to know when to start. I think to make this practical, you'd need a light tree to tell everyone the race is on.

As far as the 3 seconds go, no one can pick a car till the 3 seconds are up, then you pic and race. I wait on avarage 10-15 seconds for the 3 second count down so I can pick my car and start. I might be wrong, but it sounds like you want me to wait even longer...
:(

Last edited:

Smokin

Nov 23, 2002
www.geocities.com
The problem i came across was that there were only 2 people in the race i started in the last player start and the other person started in the first playerstart giving them a big head start.
With the count down i want it so you pick your car then spawn into the map and wait for the race to start its what other multiplayer racing games do.

JACK SH!T

Sep 2, 2004
This is UnWheel, other multiplayer racing games do lots of other things. Unwheel does lot's of things other multiplayer racing games don't do.
I see bugs that need to be fixed, and will be with the next patch *cough*. But I would hate to see UnWheel be like another multiplayer racing game.
The way I see it, If I want to play NASCAR, then I'll do just that.
What else would you like to see UW do that other multiplayer racing games do?
You did sat that the first one to join should get the first spot right?

*EDIT*
Sorry, didn't meen to sound so harsh :eek:

Last edited:

Smokin

Nov 23, 2002
www.geocities.com
Get over this mod being different from other racing games(not just to you jack**** eveyone seems to be saying it) I am not say make a NFS game and just becuase another racing game has it dosnt make it a bad idea, from the response "this is unwheel not other racing games" should mean that you guys shouldnt even been making a racing game at all, but you are so its going to be similar to other racing games if you like it or not. dont knock something that someone says just because it reminds you of another game.

Your game is already very different from most racing games out there dont think that adding a few features in that are from other games is going to make you mod a NASCAR clone or NFS clone.

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
I have actually revised the entire spawn system, so I have a lot more control over where players start, etc.

Race and Rally now start players in proper order, so they'll use up PlayerStarts in a 'grid' manner. First guy to connect gets position 1, and it'll fill up from there.

Also, once the patch is released, you no longer need UWStartSpots, only PlayerStarts as in normal UT. UnWheel will spawn your vehicle at a specific offset to the PlayerStart based on the PlayerStart's direction.

These updates should please mappers and players alike :p

JACK SH!T

Sep 2, 2004
Smokin said:
Get over this mod being different from other racing games(not just to you jack**** eveyone seems to be saying it) I am not say make a NFS game and just becuase another racing game has it dosnt make it a bad idea, from the response "this is unwheel not other racing games" should mean that you guys shouldnt even been making a racing game at all, but you are so its going to be similar to other racing games if you like it or not. dont knock something that someone says just because it reminds you of another game.

Your game is already very different from most racing games out there dont think that adding a few features in that are from other games is going to make you mod a NASCAR clone or NFS clone.
All I'm trying to say is UnWheel is UnWheel....Sure it's not the first or last race game, but why try to be like other games?