TRIBES: Vengeance Patch 1.01 Released

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Wow, TRIBES: Vengeance is barely gold and they already released a patch. The patch updates the game to version 1.01. The patch weighs in at 2 MB updates the English version of Tribes: Vengeance. Not sure what it fixes, but it is required to play online.

If you plan to purchase the game, start downloading the patch today or you'll find yourself wondering why you can't play online.

Download links:

Sierra Download Page

3D Gamers

Action Trip

FileFront

Gamers Hell

Worthplaying

Major-Lee-High

Im a ranter, ignore me!
Jun 27, 2000
The Dark Tower
www.modcentral.us
Yeah, it may be kinda weird geting news from unreal games that dont have anything to do with ut but its good to see them all getting covered :)

Heh, barely gold? Its out today :p doesnt seem umcommon for games to release with a patch right away with it.

[KBEC]MAJ

Oct 18, 2003
Montreal
www.clankbec.com
Major-Lee-High said:
Yeah, it may be kinda weird geting news from unreal games that dont have anything to do with ut but its good to see them all getting covered :)

Heh, barely gold? Its out today :p doesnt seem umcommon for games to release with a patch right away with it.

Well, Tribes Vengeance use Unreal engine ;)

Major-Lee-High

Im a ranter, ignore me!
Jun 27, 2000
The Dark Tower
www.modcentral.us
I know, im just saying that most people just thinnk of ut and unreal not things like this and men of valor etc.

I guess theres always been news of other games though, like postal 2, ravenshield etc but theres just not enough news to notice lol, Im guessing tribes will get alot of modding stuff though.

B

brokenFIX

Well, There was Diablo II patch like a day or two before the release

EndlessWaves

Intergalactic Anomaly
Jul 1, 2004
Well according to the newspost this is for the English version and the game doesn't come out in England for two and a half weeks or so.

Mar 6, 2000
London
www.mox-guild.com
Guys, I think you're forgetting something.

When something goes "gold" it is when the disk gets shipped to the publisher. The publisher then needs to get the gold master through QA, reproduced, put in boxes, shipped to stores and then on the shelfs.
If a game has been rushed by the publisher (something that Vivendi/Sierra has a history of) to meet end of quarter or something similar, quite often the game gets signed off as gold before a full QA has been done. Or if the boot is quite firmly on the other foot the publisher can pressure the developer into giving them a "gold" master that the developer does not think is ready to ship yet. However 90% of the time the developer does not have a choice as the publisher is paying them.
Think of all the games that have been released that plainly should have spent at least another month or so in beta or QA. Look at the dates and you will see that its usually around end of quarter.
Remember that QA is the responsibility of the publisher, not the developer. (Hence Valve having shipped a "gold" half life 2 to Vivendi, and Vivendi sitting on it as long as possible to cause Valve issues in an attempt to get them to drop their lawsuit).
Just because a game has been signed off as "gold", and rushed through QA does not mean that the developers stop working on it. In between the time the game goes gold and it ending up on store shelves further bugs could be discovered, especially if QA has been rushed.