Planet Unrealm - Notes, etc.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega-Seven

Apr 17, 2000
none.yet
Hey people!

Without any one guiding force, we'll be introducing a lot of different ideas, concepts, etc. that we might not all necessarily be familiar with... rather than break the flow of the postings, or act out of character (OC), why not post it here? If a concept can't really be conveniently explained or introduced in a post, then post it here... in some cases (EG: character history, or Dudester's gem) it would be better to post in the realm thread... in here is the etherealm thread, i guess =)

Weirdlings
A one-quarter were-beast, resulting from the mating of a werebeast and a normal animal of the same type. For example, a WeirdWolf would be the result of a werewolf in wolf form mating with a regular wolf. Weirdlings do not possess the abilty to change form... they remain in a primarily animal form, though they tend to have longer fore limbs and stand hunched over, moving on four limbs. Weirdbeasts exist in all manner of animals, although primarily in Wolves, foxes, coyotes, wildboars, rats, bears, and great cats. Much more rare are Falcons and Snakes; WeirdSnakes are particularly dangerous fighters, able to wield four weapons and spit venom. Weirdlings are Vulnerable to weapons made of metal and magic spells, as well as attacks made by other supernatural creatures.

Screelings (Book Two of the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind)
A type of undead demon. They are squat, hunched over, demons with long, wicked claws instead of fingers on each hand (a rare and exceedingly difficult weapon to wield is a gauntlet with screeling claws attached). A screeling is an artificial undead, constructed from the remains of a lesser demon; it's burning red eyes are the only hint of 'life' on it's blackened, rotting body. Screelings have a supernatural speed and strength, and can scale sheer surfaces and ceilings. When hunting, the screeling laughs incessantly, even if being hacked to pieces. Screelings are unaffected by most magical attacks; setting one on fire only makes it more deadly. It also views magical spells on a different level than mortals, and is able to slash away at restrictive spells placed on it. Weapons of any sort will damage it's body, though blunt and axes are most effective. A screeling's weakness is its vision. The underworld assassin can easily perceive things which are standing still, and things which are moving quickly. Anything moving with a slow, constant speed becomes invisible to the screeling, causing it's laughter to halt momentarily as it becomes confused. Unfortunately, screelings learn quickly to rely on other senses, and will eventually learn to estimate the location of walking beings.

The_Dudester

Surfing the edge of underconfidence.
Feb 21, 2000
York/Norwich England
www-users.york.ac.uk
Ahh...this is nice...I get to explain things...

As I already explained in my last post to the story, the
gem I have is an elemental cyst.
Such objects are capable of absorbing pure elemental flows - like Earth, Fire, Water, Pain, Love, Boredom, Fluffiness - and then releasing them at a later date. If a cyst is full of a pure elemental then its form reflects the element contained. Currently, my gem contains the injury + pain I would have otherwise died from...
There is a slight "leaking" of the element from the gem over time - this manifests itself in the nature of the light emitted from the cyst - in the case of contained pain, the light has an unsettling feel, and causes pain on contact with the skin.

Also, a little on daemons:

Elementals in general are living forms consisting of a single element - Water, Earth, Fire and Air elementals are familiar from RPGs, also Earth elementals can be regarded as rock monsters etc...
Daemons are elementals formed from unpleasant psychic or physical elements - Pain, Hate, Despair, Injury.
Angels are elementals formed from nice elements - Love, Joy, Inspiration.
All elementals can be contained within an elemental cyst - although in this case, the light emitted does *not* take on the characteristics of the contained elements (elementals are either in or out - they can't slowly leak out...).
A strong elemental trapped in a cyst will slowly bias the cyst into accepting its type of element more readily than any other...

And a little on Du-de-es-ta.
Although his family were reknowned healers, Du-de-es-ta was much more interested in exploration. After achieving adulthood, he left his family home (after a big argument) and travelled across the entire world, often getting embroiled in adventures + such like.
Like all members of his family, he is a skilled mage, although nowhere near as powerful as his sister...his skills also lie in a broader range than those of his family and encompass some slightly dubious applications (a smattering of necromantic knowledge is amongst his skills).
His weapons are a pair of matched daggers, weighted for throwing and silver-tipped for dealing with ethereal creatures, and a manrikigusari (a Japanese weapon in our world, consisting of a 6 foot chain, with weights at each end. Usually one end is whirled around and used to entangle or strike an opponent...)

Thank you for listening...

The_Dudester

Feb 21, 2000
York/Norwich England
www-users.york.ac.uk
Last note (I promise!!) for a while....

YOu would only use an elemental cyst to contain an elemental you couldn't control by any other means -
essentially the elemental is useless while trapped, so if you had another way of controlling it while leaving it
free to move about you would use it...
Given that the person/being responsible for all this evil must be *very* powerful, what does this say about how
powerful the daemon he kept in the cyst gem is?

lastly, elementals (inc daemons and angels) are able to shift form as they are not really solid at all
they can even possess living things for a while, although prolonged possession will eventually kill the host.
Powerful elementals can even possess multiple hosts - although this may limit their fine control somewhat...

Omega-Seven

Apr 17, 2000
none.yet
ok, for those of you who wandered in here and couldn't figure it out, this thread has to do with "Chronicles of the Unrealm, a PuF RPG story".

Whereas there are threads devoted to talking about phaser specifics, or the lorg or whatever, here we are talking about stuff in our realm =)

Just a thought: let's not do anything so drastic to the world that it interferes with everyone else's conception of the world/can't be easily worked around.

For example: Mana based magic versus memorized spells (ala AD&D). Rather than apply it universally, let it work differently by player, and let it be explained as regional or academic differences.

But what do i know. Maybe my character has a thermal detonator (jk)

The_Dudester

Feb 21, 2000
York/Norwich England
www-users.york.ac.uk
Last thing I want to do is interfere with anyone elses ideas...however I think (hope) what I've posted so far doesn't do that...(if anyone has any problems with it, please tell me...)

(Thermal detonator? My character has an A-bomb in the heel of his shoe ;) )

gramps

Mar 27, 2000
www.crookram.net
ah...very nice this thread is here, cuz i didn't want to interrupt the original one. i just wanted to say i really like what i'm reading so far. great stuff people! keep it up.
icon14.gif

Cammy

Nymphomaniac
Nov 24, 1999
Singapore
Visit site
C'mon, gramps, join the RPG thread!

All right, guess I'll say a couple things I've imagined ;)about Chun-Li:

Chun-Li is an extremely gifted and powerful healer who can heal virtually any illnesses or injuries (even amputations), except those of a highly exceptional and supernatural kind, such as being injured by a rune weapon more than 5,000 years old. She can even resurrect the dead, though only within one day of their death (longer than which their residual life-force will have dissipated beyond all retrieval), and only three times a day. Also she can't resurrect those who have died of old age (and therefore completed their natural term of life). Such limitations aside, though, her powers of resurrection are still formidable: a man can be reduced to ashes and she will still be able to bring him back to life with a mere wave of her hand.

Chun-Li also has limited knowledge of combat magic -- she can create a 6-foot-radius shield around herself, though all it does is cushion physical blows a little so they cause less damage, and it drains her mana quickly. She can fire energy balls with the impact force of a large warhammer, though they can't fly more than 18 feet before dissipating and she can cast them only seven times a day.

Finally, Chun-Li is also a skilled martial artist with extremely fast and powerful kicks. When powerred-up with her mana, her Thousand-Burst-Kick can kick a hole through a stone wall. But her melee weapon of choice is a pair of long silk sashes with 12-foot range which she employs with great skill as a pair of whips. She can use them to snare others also, though only with the help of mana.

Okay, maybe I'll say a couple things about the Eye(s) of The Golden Dragon in future... :)

Wolf Blackstar

That other Wing Commander guy
Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
Wolfram is a powerful warrior who has suffered the loss of his memories. Though he believes himself to be a soldier from the Norsayr Moren, a seafaring race of skilled warriors who inhabit the northern regions of the Unrealm(think of them as a combination of Scottish higlanders and Vikings), his spirit is actually that of an ancient general who led the 7th Talon, the finest group of knights fielded by the equally ancient Empire of the Iron Eagle(more on this to come later). Fortunately, Wolfram's memory loss has not affected the primal instincts or the skills of battle.

Wolfram's skill with any sword and shield combination borders on the superhuman. Nearly equally impressive is his ability to use axes. He can dual wield, but only with one-handed weapons. Ranged weapons are practically useless with Wolfram. Though possessed of strength well above average, Wolfram's primary skills lie in his devastating speed and the placement of his strikes. He employs incredibly fast spinning and leaping attacks, dealing tremendous damage due to centrifugal force generated in these attacks. Multiple-hit combinations are his specialty, including a deadly yet beautiful attack that lands 10-15 consecutive crushing blows which can be used three times a day, and Blood Rage, an ability that can be used only once a day where he goes into a berserker state that augments his strength and speed and makes him almost completely impervious to physical pain. This ability lasts for about 10 minutes, or wears off after all enemies around him are slain, which is the usual outcome of using it.

]LoL[Wolf|PuF

enjoy
frigbach2.GIF

Omega-Seven

Apr 17, 2000
none.yet
Since we all seem to be giving away goodies about our characters...;)

Jing is a Vampire Hunter who wanders the Unrealm, and has wandered the Unrealm, for countless years. His home of birth was destroyed at least over 500 years ago... it is believed that Jing is far older than that.

As a Wampyr, Jing is only half human - the child born from a Vampire Father and a Human Mother. He possesses varying characteristics of either. In general, Wampyrs are immune to the effects of sunlight, fire (unless it is magical, or they have been staked), and holy symbols. Wampyrs are vulnerable to weapons of metal (including silver), and running water (relatively still bodies of water are painful, but not lethal). Wampyrs are vulernable only to wooden stakes in hearts, which incapicitates them. The attacks of other supernatural creatures and magic are also injurious, and sometimes lethal. Much like Vampires, Wampyrs can gain tremendously in power through age; However, only one Wampyr is known by legend to have lived so long - the Son of Dracula, Alucard. A Wampyr as old as that could conceivably have differing degrees of vulnerability, to say nothing of his heritage.

The average Wampyr is 10 times stronger and faster than the average man... the average Vampire is twice as strong and fast as a Wampyr. Wampyrs possess the same incredible powers of regeneration as vampires, as well as the thirst for blood. Their human side allows them to resist 'bloodlust' much better than Vampires, and reduces their need for blood. Animal blood may be substituted, however, the closer an animal is to being human, the better it 'tastes'; a chimpanzee's blood would be bland, but filling. The blood of a deer would likely cause retching. If great feats of regeneration are performed, the need for blood is greater, and the ability to control bloodlust is severely impaired.

So far, Jing has demonstrated himself to be proficient in the use of sigil magic which often requires lengthy and complicated runes to be traced, either physically in a medium, or in mana in the air. These require intense concentration, and some expenditure of mana. Quite likely Jing has inherited powers of Telekinesis and Compulsion, which Vampires possess.

Sinistre (latin for 'left' i believe) is a spirit-familiar... however, due to a mis-pronunciation, the master librarian casting the spell did more than bind the familiar to Jing on a psychic level - the Familiar became permamnently bound to Jing's left hand. Sinistre is intelligent, sentient, and can cast some minor spells of it's own. It can draw in massive amount of air (like a great vacuum), eat dirt (both of which aid in healing), and act independently when the need arises. It Jing is incapacitated, it can take limited steps to revive him.

(More on this character as you find out more about him; I will mention that he is a blend of 'Vampire Hunter D', 'Castlevania: Symphony of the Night', and Rifts rpg)

Killing a Vampire
this is all taken from an rpg is used to GM (Rifts)...
Running water - water in motion (river, squirt gun; not a pool, bathtub, or lake)

Wooden (or silver) stake - lodged in the heart, which incapacitates a vampire (as long as it remains in the heart). The vampire must then be beheaded, and burned. Beating or injurying a vampire excessively with weapons of wood or silver will also incapacitate them, but for only a short amount of time.

Excessive supernatural/magic/holy damage - kills a vampire as running water does

Sunlight - kills a vampire

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I'm of the old school D&D. I grew up playing the first "set" of modules that TSR released. All the old great ones:

Vault of the Drow
Caverns of the Frost Giant Jarl

and my favorite is the one I'm basing my character from. I can't remember it's name...HELP ME REMEMBER THE DAMN NAME! :) It was based on a mysterious "space vessel" that had crashed into the mountain side and was now over-run with Monsters. The cool part about it was fighting demons, trolls and elementels among high technology. The ship was far more massive than any D&D era dungeon...(think larger than the NG Star Trek Enterprise ship).

I also threw in a few references to the great H.P. Lovecraft horror/fantasy series just for fun.

Vortex

My last status sucked
Jan 19, 2000
Planet Express
Visit site
hal, Eternaty had a notes page as well as the main story and then Elrod made up a website for it. Since this has a "notes" thread alongside the main story, then it should have a website as well. Well, it's up to you RPG'er's I suppose.

Wolf Blackstar

That other Wing Commander guy
Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
A website? Maybe.

For now, I want to concentrate on injecting some back story into the posts. Expect a massive update soon, but for now I have to go study for midterms. :(

One last thing.

Cammy's posts advocate Chun-Li as a follower of Kuan Ying, the Chinese Goddess of Mercy. The last post chronicled her unsuccessful attempt to gain support for our heroes from other gods. This is all well and good, but - The Unrealm is a land of fantasy, and all "real" conventional standards should be kept to a minimum. I'd like to see some creativity in all fields, so that includes whatever god/esses the characters serve. I'm not browbeating anyone for this, but I think it'd be cool if we tried.

The_Dudester

Feb 21, 2000
York/Norwich England
www-users.york.ac.uk
Creativity?

Yes, sir, fearless leader!

Working on that now - problem is that I really need another character if I want be have more creativity....

Cammy - do you mind taking Du-de-es-ta off of my hands? (Not that I mind keeping him, but Cammy has more of the back story for the Chun-Li/Du-de-es-ta family worked out I think...)

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Tell me more about what you had in mind, Wolf. When you said RPG, I immediately thought "text RPG...mmm...D&D type thing". The main difference being that there is no DM.

You sort of created the world...explain it a little.

The_Dudester

Feb 21, 2000
York/Norwich England
www-users.york.ac.uk
Good point hal -
we all need *some* kind of common reference for this thread, otherwise things aren't going to gel

(I know, everyone should be being creative, but sometimes you need to set (minimal) limits on the creative process so that everything can fit together...) :)

Wolf - its your baby, how about some theme or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.