delay in replication

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mychaeel

Play with the NetUpdateFrequency property (defined in Actor).

If you need the fastest possible replication speed, replicate function calls instead of variables as they're sent to the client within the same tick they're called; but in general, variables are replicated far faster than what you're describing.

Mychaeel

Replicated function calls are generally heavier on network performance than replicated variables since the engine is forced to send a replicated function call to the other end in the same tick it is called, whereas it replicates variable values whenever they fit in.

If you're reasonably careful you shouldn't get into trouble doing that, though.

BinarySystem

Banned
Jun 10, 2004
1 second seems like a long delay, but I should mention, your health counter doesn't actually change the instant you get hit, but only the instant you PERCIEVE yourself to have been hit. For instance, if you're 400ms behind the server, your health counter goes down 400ms after you get hit, but on your end, you don't see yourself get hit until 400ms after you actually get hit, because your client didn't see the projectile get fired until 400ms after it actually got fired - so basically, everything is delayed some, but because it's pretty much EVERYTHING that gets delayed, and pretty much everything gets delayed by the same amount, it doesn't FEEL delayed.

Of course, as Mychaeel said, variables aren't necessarily sent as soon as they change - but usually there shouldn't be much delay on top of the transmission delay (which everything experiences) unless you are severely short on bandwidth.

Dark[NSF]

Northwest Secessionalist Forces
Well here is my issue..

I call a function from the pawn to replication info, the function decreases an interger. Then I have a check in the pawn to see if that interger is high enough to be able to decrease it again. Since there is a in the check, it can't check fast enough to see if it is to low of a value to run again. So there is an exploit that allows you to run it over and over really quickly, avoiding the check. *I hope that makes sense*

Wait a second, maybe it's because I run a check in pawn client side as opposed to doing it server side? If thats not it, I'll just remove the functions and try it that way.

Thanks for your help.

BinarySystem

Banned
Jun 10, 2004
I'm not 100% sure of what you're trying to do but I think I get the idea.

It sounds like what you should be doing is doing the decrementing and the check server side, then replicating the result to the player. You could do both client side and replicate the result to the server too, but that would be slightly less good.

Either way, both the check and the decrementing should be done on the same side. (server or client)