CTF-EventHorizon-anyone played?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Temporary Account

Temporarily Permanent
Jan 25, 2000
cosmicmonstersinc.com
Ok..I saw the pic o' the day on PU today and now I'm drooling and wishing I wasn't at work right now. That map looks SO damn cool.

Has anyone played it yet? How's the playability/layout/etc... Are there reviews anywhere? I suppose I should have checked before I started this thread...but I really wanted to share my overwhelming awe at the way that map looks.

------------------
-[CMi]Soul-Crusher
www.cosmicmonstersinc.com

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
I've got it, but not played it yet. Gonna check it out later today.

Looks good though.

bullet2.gif

In general, talent is what gets you hired, and "degree" does not necessarily indicate talent.
- Robert Duffy, id Software.

Watchdog

Nov 29, 1999
windsor, ontaio, canada
Visit site
It's ok, nothing special actually. It's not one of my favourite maps. Flag location is ok. Although the platform is small and is too easily cleared by rockets. Therefore, defending on an adjacent platform is required; however, this brings me to my next point: there is going to be a lot of sniping (problamatizing defence). It's also low grav (not my favourite option) and many falls to your death occur: be it by splash from your own teammate or by enemy fire ebcause of the narrow walkways. There is also little wide open "arenas" to duel--mostly hallways and narrow walkways. This is both refreshing and aggravating at once. Poly count seems ok--about the same as Face so that shouldn't be too much of a concern. The map looks good, although I feel it's too ornimental at times (almost gawdy). Weapon placement is sparce, but I think that's a good decision. One thing I would change though is the flak. The flak is located in a narrow hallway, right beside ammo for it. Can you say spam? I feel the most dominating weapons should not be placed beside their respective ammunitions--this often doesn't make dying that big a deal and also causes the aforementioned spamming. Finally, I think the author did a good job of exploiting both horizontal and vertical space. Many user-created maps do not exploit this and, consequently, loose a valuable dimension of UT or any other FPS. IMHO.

[This message has been edited by Watchdog (edited 04-06-2000).]

Clanless

Jul 7, 2000
Nice but I wish you could walk on top of the ships.
Wait till ya see the CTF I'm planning - I promise all of you you've never seen or played ANYTHING like it.

bullet2.gif

When upset, keep in mind it takes 42 muscles to frown, yet only 4 to extend your middle finger.

I need a good clan!

Wolf Blackstar

That other Wing Commander guy
Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
You can get to the top of the ships by I.H. jumping, but the "death zone" is too low - and here is an interesting bug - one you get on top, you can stand still and be O.K., but if you move, you take damage. Weird.

Anyone seen the movie, by any chance?

bullet2.gif

-Wolf Blackstar

"A chainsaw! find some meat!"
PuF: Bring on the pain!

A

Alarion-={FU}=-

I WAS running it on my server, but played it offline with 5 bots and in the "arena" area, it just kicked my computers arse big time. FPS dropped to like 6 from 40...crazy...very cool map though (I think)

bullet2.gif

-=Alarion{FU}=-
{FU} Clan - Just for the fun of it! -

G-Man

Mar 11, 2000
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Visit site
Saw the move... man fas it intense. One of the goriest movies I have ever seen. I really left the theatre disturbed. It's the only movie that I have been to that I have seen where the age limit was really inforced. (In Canada the age limit is much lower for movies in the states so it's not usually a big deal). For this movie not only did they card when you bought the ticket but also at the entrance to the theatre. There were even warning signs on the doors into the theatre. To be honest, all the precautions taken by the theatre were warranted. All in all though the movie was pretty bad.

bullet2.gif

"It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not to deserve them."
-Mark Twain

Wolf Blackstar

That other Wing Commander guy
Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
Yeah it was intense. The ending sucked ass though. The Doom space marine would have ripped that guy a new one.

I must admit, I would like the idea of a DM level based on that ship. With the right weapons balance, use of dynamic lights and ambient sounds - you could have ambush spots, skirmishing areas, and other general mayhem going on. Now that would rock.

bullet2.gif

-Wolf Blackstar

"A chainsaw! find some meat!"
PuF: Bring on the pain!

Temporary Account

Temporarily Permanent
Jan 25, 2000
cosmicmonstersinc.com
Ok..my friend played it while I watched over his shoulder, and here's what I have to say about it.

1)Damn it's a beautiful map. Excellend job on the architecture and textures.

2)Bot's like it. The bots seem to be able to get to everything well, and even jump from base to base rather than use the teleporters. Only complaint is that they suicide a lot when defending the flag(they jump in the air shooting at incoming flag carriers and fall to their doom.)

3)Complaints...I have two complaints..one mentioned and one that's just really aggravating. You can't get on the roofs and there are too many death zones...all those cool places you'd like to go to snipe or hang out are off limits. You die instantly. That's an annoyance, but something I could live with.

But the big pisser is that the "void" isn't set to "return flag"!!!! If you fall off into space carrying the flag, prepare for a long wait for it to return. It has to "timeout" like it was just sitting on the ground. Damn annoying. If you're going to have a void, make it return the flag automatically (see CTF-Face for an easy example.)

Other than that, seemed like it would be a fun map for a small 3v3 or 4v4.

--edit--
Oh yeah!! this is great...I saw a bot get stuck under our flag platform(no clue how he ended up there.) He was totally lost!! I watched him sort of look up at the flag all pathetically, then look around. He was so confused! Then Godslayer shot him and the bot launched a rocket back. This alerted the other bot on defense who summarily sent him into space...but it's was so funny seeing this bot all forlorn looking up at the flag and having no clue how to get himself unstuck...hehe.
--/edit--

bullet2.gif

-[CMi]Soul-Crusher
www.cosmicmonstersinc.com

[This message has been edited by Temporary Account (edited 04-07-2000).]