Bleh.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
My boyfriend and I have been working on an apartment for a few months now, and now he really needs to move out. Why? His father is an alcoholic, and at least ten times worse than I ever made my mother out to be (in fact my mom and I are on pretty good terms right now). He's going to go down to the building we're thinking about renting sometime this week to check out how much rent we'll be paying, and if we can pull it off with our part-time minimum wage jobs.

Why am I telling you this? Because we won't have internet for a while. He says not at all, but we might be able to afford it if we eat cheaply enough. We're going to figure it all out on the weekend, since the weekend is really the only time I ever have off (I'm home sick today).

I came back and now it seems I have to leave. :(

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Around here rent for an apartment is $500 a month. You couldn't pay that on a minimal wage job, maybe if two people were paying for it though. Any chance your parents could help out? It would be in your best interest though to get a full time job. As in eight hours a day, six days a week. It would really help out with your apartment, and God forbid you would even look like a responsible young adult. ;)

Thing is, tool, I'm still trying to finish my highschool. I absolutely NEED all four credits I'm taking this semester and the four in the next semester. I go to school at 8:35am and I get out at 2:45pm, then I have to catch the bus to get to work at 4:17pm and I can get back home anywhere from 7:30 to 9pm.

I can't possibly handle another job if I want to graduate, my day is already filled up. :(

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Sounds to me like you may want to hold off a little bit longer. In the long run waiting until you are out of highschool and got all of that out of the way will pay off. Get out of highschool, get a full time job, get your boyfriend to get a full time job, then move into the apartment. Settle down for a while there, work for like a year and then think about getting into a Community College or University. How well did you do in highschool overall? Grades good enough for a Uni?

Perferrably I'd like to wait two years, because that'll let me finish highschool, though this is kind of an emergency. I have to take a fifth year because I've failed so many courses (Yes, I know it's my own damn fault) so no, my grades are terrible. :( Also, I'm still only seventeen, so I don't even qualify for mature student status. My boyfriend is, to my knowledge, trying to find a second job and taking online courses to finish off his own highschool courses (He only has 3 left).

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
I would for sure then just wait it out. I think it is all about the long term advantages if you just wait until all the schooling is out of the way before getting into an apartment, so you can both get a full time job. Anyone that would be willing to help you out?

And after you get into an apartment, look into getting into a community college.

SugarBear

Sadly Un-Surreal
May 18, 2001
Doesn't even matter
Visit site
In a lot of cases you won't be able to rent an apartment untill you are both at least 18, and as a female, you will not be allowed to live with someone 18 or older untill you are 18, (it's actually untill you are 20 or 21 in most states).

More importantly, if you're still in highschool, you're 17 and you're only a sophmore, forget getting an apartment, forget living with your boyfriend, stick it out untill you're done with high school, if your parents are so disrespectful and ignorant that you can't focus on your education then call child protective services, they will place you either in foster care (probably the smartest thing for you) or even better in a child protective home.

The mere fact that you're even considering getting an apartment and internet access that you can't afford before you're even out of high school is shocking to me, you have so many other more intelligent and responsible avenues available to you, it sounds like you've already pissed away a good bit of your life, don't piss the rest of it away on a series of bad judgements.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
What do your parents think about you getting an apartment too? I pretty much said the samething as Sugarbear said, but he brought up a good point that I forgot. You have to be a certain age to have an apartment. You may need to get your parents involved if you want one, even when you are out of highschool.

Alright, I probably should've told everyone this at the very start, and I'm sorry that I haven't. You all may want to brace yourselves for it, by taking a deep cleansing breath. Then read the text below:
... I ALREADY HAVE AN APARTMENT.

That's ****in' right, folks! I've been living on my own for the past... Six months I think. Mind you, it's my parent's basement, and I've been using their dishes for my food and stuff, but I do buy my own food, pay my school fees, buy my own clothes and my hygeine supplies, and I do pay rent.

My parents are letting me do this to give a feel for what it's really like to live on my own, and it's not something I can't handle. Also, they've already said that they'll consent to me living with Zack, because they trust Zack and they trust me. Besides, after the last two years I think they're a little sick of me, despite how much we're all getting along now :D

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
living with your parents and living in an apartment are two completely different things, even if you are helping pay for the rent. Try to pay them what it would cost for a normal apartment and see how well you do. And even then you still can't move into a real apartment with your boyfriend until you are 18 to 21, depending on state law.

and this randomness of you just coming out and saying that you have been paying rent and all these other things in your parents basement really makes me think you aren't being completely truthful here.

Last edited:

SugarBear

Sadly Un-Surreal
May 18, 2001
Doesn't even matter
Visit site
yeah, I would find it difficult to believe that you you're paying your parents 400 dollars a month, and that's a reasonibly low priced apartment with most utilities.

I paid 650 a month for my first apartment, but it was a three bedroom pad.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
SugarBear said:
yeah, I would find it difficult to believe that you you're paying your parents 400 dollars a month, and that's a reasonibly low priced apartment with most utilities.

I paid 650 a month for my first apartment, but it was a three bedroom pad.

I'm looking for apartments in Lynnwood Washington, and just a one bedroom is $500 a month without utilities. I dont even want to look at a three bedroom. I wish I could get into one, but on a minimal wage job that is impossible unless my parents help me out. This is why i'm skeptical of LDW being able to do this, even with someone helping, and only doing it on a part time job while going to highschool.

SugarBear

Sadly Un-Surreal
May 18, 2001
Doesn't even matter
Visit site
yeah, it worries me more that she's still thining about doing it. if you're paying rent, why doesn't your boyfriend move into your parents basement, if they won't let you do that then just wait, wait till you're out of highschool, wait untill you've had a good paying job for a while (I'm talking a year or two) THEN think about moving into a new place with him, but certainly not before.

BinarySystem

Banned
Jun 10, 2004
Depending on what part of Canada and how responsible you are with money, I think it's quite possible. However, you would have to be fiscally responsible and "tighten your belt" so to speak.

And, for the record, you don't have to be a certain age to legally live with someone of the opposite sex, for crying out loud. (this probrably doesn't apply for ALL countries though) The closest thing one might maybe say is perhaps a person could be charged with sexual interference, but of course that's a civil case that would have to be brought foreward by her parents, who she's already said have agreed.

If your parents already have you living in the basement and paying rent and all, you might be able to convince them to let your boyfriend move in with you. Some parents would flip out if you ask but on the other hand I've known several parents who have allowed their son's girlfriend/daughter's boyfriend to move in with them.

Chaser

Boi BOI!!!!
Mar 16, 2004
Finish High School. Then think about that other stuff.

OMG SugarBear has 1,337 posts!

If your parents already have you living in the basement and paying rent and all, you might be able to convince them to let your boyfriend move in with you. Some parents would flip out if you ask but on the other hand I've known several parents who have allowed their son's girlfriend/daughter's boyfriend to move in with them.

My parents were actually the first people I talked to, and we'd have to make some major changes around the house for that to happen. Also, my baby brother doesn't like strangers, so it'd take him a lot of screaming and crying before he got used to Zack. If we had room, though, I'm sure my folks would welcome him in. My parents love Zack, and his folks love me.