How do you display the IP address of someone you're directly connected to, over AIM?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

jc!

Jun 10, 2004
I met this girl—my high school coworker’s former girlfriend, actually—via Myspace, and we chat via AIM, directly connecting to post pictures and whatnot. Is there a tool that displays the IP address of whoever you’re directly connected to, or whoever’s directly connected to you, over AIM?

On a peripherally related note, can you use it to display the IP address of whoever’s connected to your server, without using UT2004’s in-game interface? Can you use it to display the IP address of anything you’re connected to?

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I believe you open a command prompt and type "nbtstat -c" minus the quotes (don't hold me to that because it's been awhile since I tried it). This program does the same thing (checks NetBIOS connections or something of the sort) with a GUI.

BTW, what are you gonna do, try to hack her computer and find nudie pics of her on her harddrive? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jc!

Jun 10, 2004
I directly connected to a friend over AIM, and when I typed "nbtstat -c" into the Command Prompt, I got this:

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []

No names in cache

My ISP:
Node IpAddress: [66.66.666.666] Scope Id: []

No names in cache

C:\>

Obviously I replaced the original IP address with 6's, but is that what you're supposed to get if you're directly connected to someone over AIM? Shouldn't it display more than one IP address?

jc!

Jun 10, 2004
just ended our direct connection, but when I typed "nbtstat -c" into the Command Prompt again, I got the exact same thing. That means the IP address listed can't possibly be his.

What did I do wrong? I got all sorts of questions about you can do with an IP address (including how to use it to blow up people's TV sets or steal Sandra Bullock's email... no, not really), but I'll refrain from asking until I get the basics down.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Oh well, I knew it ended in 'stat'. :D

You're not gonna be able to do much. Most people have firewalls nowadays, so she'll catch you. Then she'll tell all her friends you tried to hack her computer to find pictures of her naked and no one will ever like you again. Just save yourself the trouble and ask her for nudie pics straight up. Either way she's gonna end up hating you. ;)

jc!

Jun 10, 2004
No, I'm not looking for nudie pics of her on her hard drive. Nor do I believe she has any; I'd like to believe she has more respect for herself than that, though given my experience with Stateside girls, that's probably not too likely. But I digress.

Tbh, I'm just using her as an example. My real question is: If someone knows your IP address, how can he use it to, err, remotely access your WinXP computer hooked up to your IP address? Despite being more secure than Win98, WinXP is still easy enough to hack for your friends to play practical jokes on you.

When one of my mates claimed he could break into my WinXPHome computer in less than half an hour, I challenged him to prove it, gave him my IP address, and waited. Fifteen minutes later, he created a folder on my desktop.

WinXP had been patched on an automatic basis, the built-in firewall was running, he'd never physically accessed my computer before, I was on dial-up, I wasn't connected to a LAN, there were no Trojans or viruses... nothing. I asked him to show me or give me books on how he did it. He wouldn't.

I read books like Windows Server 2003 (Hacking Exposed) and Secrets of Computer Espionage: Tactics and Countermeasures. However, they're totally in-specific; that is, they simply go from "Find out the target's IP address" to "Crack the target's password." Wtf? Assuming remote, not physical access, how the hell do I get the target's login screen? And what about that mysterious next step, "Install a sniffer or keylogger on the target's computer," without explaining how to upload files to the target's computer? Yeah, real helpful, and a great way to blow $50 US on a book that doesn't explain anything. (Too lazy to return it, though; I still skim through it in my free time.)

I know you blokes know more about this than I do. Has someone released a noob-friendly tool that'll scan an IP address for vulnerabilities, then automatically access the computer remotely?

I already asked my other mates how anyone could've done the above; according to them, it's pretty much impossible to do any of the above on a standard, regularly patched WinXP computer, without having physical access to the target's computer and installing a Trojan. That can't be true; excepting Sam Fisher, I don't know any hackers who do their deeds by physically accessing the target's computer first. How do they do it? How do you do it?

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
The first option would be to exploit badly secured services, like window's file sharing. If it is set up wrong, it can give people access to a lot of things you prefer they didn't.

Another option is to exploit known security bugs (often buffer overflows) to get some type of code to execute on the remote machine. This code could be used to install a trojan that would give the attacker more direct control of the computer. This is what a lot of the recent Windows worms have done, although in an automated fashion.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I put pictures of nude Asian guys on some dude's desktop who had his entire C drive shared over the dorm LAN by accident. That's probably what your friend did to you, seeing as he didn't do anything bad like run his programs or code on your computer.

The buffer overflow exploits are a popular trick, but any that you know about are gonna already be patched more than likely, unless you join a hacker forum and watch them discuss the new things they've found out. You'd have to sit there and hack someone for days and days (or your own machine through a network) to find something new, but that's not gonna happen because these flaws are exploited by people who know what they're doing. Maybe you can find a site that lists all the current Windows programs subject to buffer overflows and tell your friend to run them. :lol:

I read an article awhile back about some network security company basically hacking their own computers to find flaws in their own security, and they found a buffer overflow in AIM that had to do with people's away messages. Here's something that explains what a buffer overflow is. Even though it's for Linux, the same basic memory setup exists in Windows, so it'll give you a good idea of what happens.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6701

jc!

Jun 10, 2004
Is WinXP's file sharing configured insecurely by default? I’m not connected to a LAN, I didn't modify WinXP when I got my computer, and I don't modify it—except to enable the built-in Internet Connection Firewall—when I reformat and reinstall WinXP.

If WinXP’s file sharing were configured insecurely, would he be able to install sniffers or keyloggers on my computer? Remotely accessing a girl’s hard drive might be fun, but eavesdropping on her conversations to deduce what she really thinks would be more rewarding. :D

Surely, a noob-friendly tool for automatically, remotely accessing WinXP computers must exist. After all, what are script kiddies more likely to choose? An archaic DOS-style command prompt? Or a tool with a WinXP-style, Fisher-Price-ified GUI for remotely logging in?

Do any websites offer noob-friendly worms you can download and configure—without getting infected or needing to code anything—to penetrate and control WinXP computers? Trojans probably wouldn’t be that useful, since virus scanners would probably catch them… right?

BinarySystem

Banned
Jun 10, 2004
I think using the commandline would make the script kiddies feel more 1337.

GUIs take time to implement, and the people that create tools to hack with are usually more interested in learning about the system they're trying to hack and figuring out how they can get in, instead of boring GUI work.

jc!

Jun 10, 2004
Okay, but what about my other four questions? :lol:

jc! said:
Is WinXP's file sharing configured insecurely by default? I’m not connected to a LAN, I didn't modify WinXP when I got my computer, and I don't modify it—except to enable the built-in Internet Connection Firewall—when I reformat and reinstall WinXP.

If WinXP’s file sharing were configured insecurely, would he be able to install sniffers or keyloggers on my computer? Remotely accessing a girl’s hard drive might be fun, but eavesdropping on her conversations to deduce what she really thinks would be more rewarding. :D

Surely, a noob-friendly tool for automatically, remotely accessing WinXP computers must exist. After all, what are script kiddies more likely to choose? An archaic DOS-style command prompt? Or a tool with a WinXP-style, Fisher-Price-ified GUI for remotely logging in?

Do any websites offer noob-friendly worms you can download and configurewithout getting infected or needing to code anything—to penetrate and control WinXP computers? Trojans probably wouldn’t be that useful, since virus scanners would probably catch them… right?

Last edited:

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
((((((READ)))))))
AIM is now made so no direct connection even when direct IM-ing! If you had a REAL direct connection with the other clients aim port you should be able to see it in netstat. Unless they changed the port somehow by upgrading the port # should be ".4443". You wont see this because the direct connectin IM session goes through the AIM server. I forgot what the AIM server port number is I think it is ".5190". So I doubt you will be able to find friends IP by direct IMing with AIM unless there is information within the packets that give you information about the other client. Perhaps you could coax your friend to use another IM program :)

jc! said:

Do any websites offer noob-friendly worms you can download and configure—without getting infected or needing to code anything—to penetrate and control WinXP computers? Trojans probably wouldn’t be that useful, since virus scanners would probably catch them… right?

HAHA noob friendly worms??? Sure there are sites, but have fun trying to find a "noob-friendly worm" without a trojan horse of somekind. I'm sure that you may be able to buy from a professional. If any noob has sniffer capable stuff they prob either bought from professional or got from their uncle or something. Don't go to internet to get bad stuff. There are some noob friendly version worms out there. There are even specific file names but chances are the file you end up downloading has been modified by the person giving it to you so he can H4><0R qwn your comp. :eek: :eek: :eek: OMG!!! OMG!!! sooo scary. I hope you aren't asking for sites because listing a :Poop: site is bananation. or is it just ut :Poop: sites... I forgot. There are plenty of haxoring forums out there maybe you could ask someone to AIM you perhaps and don't accept any files... :lol:
hahaha
don't ask me because I don't even fool with my friends comps. I just feel too guilty. I mean I may scan their ports but just to tell them the computer weaknesses so no meanies get all big chested because they can mess up my buddies comp. :) :flak:

Last edited:

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
jc! said:
Okay, but what about my other four questions? :lol:
Is WinXP's file sharing configured insecurely by default?
I can't really answer this one, I haven't reinstalled Windows for a while, and don't remember how it was set up to begin with. I also haven't used XP Home.

If WinXP’s file sharing were configured insecurely, would he be able to install sniffers or keyloggers on my computer?
If it was configured wrong, you could copy a program into someone's "Start Menu\Programs\Startup" folder and it would run when they logged on.

Do any websites offer noob-friendly worms you can download ...
I'm sure there are, but I don't know any, nor would I tell you if I did. To break into computers to do damage is bad enough, but if you have to use someone else's tools: You are what is wrong with the internet.

... to penetrate and control WinXP computers? Trojans ... virus scanners would probably catch them… right?
If a worm/trojan to penetrate computers is available on the internet, then virus scanners would probably be able to detect them.