Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Licenses SpeedTree Tech

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Sigil Games has issued a press release stating that Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, an Unreal-Engine Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game, will be using the SpeedTree technology to bring a new level of foliage realism to the genre.
Kevin McPherson, Senior Programmer for Sigil, said he was grateful for SpeedTreeRT's ability to quicken creation of Vanguard's vast world. "SpeedTree has allowed Sigil to populate the landscape with realistic moving flora in a timely and efficient manner," Mr. McPherson said, adding that support from SpeedTree developer Interactive Data Visualization (IDV) has been crucial. "IDV's support and willingness to go the extra mile for the developer has pleased Sigil greatly."

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Full press release:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - September 20, 2004

SpeedTreeRTTM Licensed for Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

MICROSOFT TO PUBLISH 3RD GENERATION MMORPG

COLUMBIA, SC – Citing SpeedTreeRT's efficiency, ease of use and realism, Sigil Games Online has licensed real-time's most popular foliage solution for Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. Vanguard, a massively multiplayer online role playing game (MMORPG), will be published by Microsoft and is described by Sigil as a fantasy game with "a heavy focus on character development, an immersive world and player interdependence."

Kevin McPherson, Senior Programmer for Sigil, said he was grateful for SpeedTreeRT's ability to quicken creation of Vanguard's vast world. "SpeedTree has allowed Sigil to populate the landscape with realistic moving flora in a timely and efficient manner," Mr. McPherson said, adding that support from SpeedTree developer Interactive Data Visualization (IDV) has been crucial. "IDV's support and willingness to go the extra mile for the developer has pleased Sigil greatly."

Sigil President and CEO Brad McQuaid praised the operational impact of the SDK. "SpeedTree has saved us development time versus implementing a similar solution internally," said Mr. McQuaid, who also serves as co-producer of Vanguard. "Integration into our code and art pipeline was rapid even given the complexity of our project."

About Sigil Games Online – The goal of Sigil Games Online is to make Vanguard: Saga of Heroes the premier third generation massively multiplayer RPG. To meet the growing demand for a game that advances the multiplayer fantasy genre, Sigil is using the combined experience and creativity of its team to bring players a new and challenging feature set with deep, involving game content. Vanguard is prepared to lead the way in subscription based revenue games.

SpeedTreeRT delivers low-polygon, highly realistic trees and plants, with adjustable wind effects, seamless LOD transitions, and an included library of hundreds of tree models from more than 100 core species. SpeedTreeRT includes SpeedTreeCAD, a Windows application used to create and edit animated trees in real-time.

Interactive Data Visualization, Inc. (IDV), develops software products with a focus on realtime three dimensional applications for the game development, visual simulation, engineering visualization, and animation industries. IDV, a privately held corporation, was founded in 1999 in Columbia, South Carolina. For more information about IDV, visit www.idvinc.com.

B

bid

hal said:
Sigil Games has issued a press release stating that Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, an Unreal-Engine Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game, will be using the SpeedTree technology to bring a new level of foliage realism to the genre.

Does anyone else cringe at the mention of the words "Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game"?

B

bid

MachDelta said:
I just ignore em now. Why? :)

NO reason. Just asking :)

MMORPGS seem like one long anal-retentive high.

The first (*) MMORPG--UO- kicked ass till the developers turned it into a cross between 'The Sims' and Diablo. God I hate EA!

(*) Actually UO was the second MMORPG, the first was Meridian 59.

A

Aethling

Actually, the history goes way back to text based games.

Muds, mushes, muses, mucks, etc... have been around, and, at the complex end ARE massive, multiplayer role playing experiences. The fact that text based muds are STILL popular despite using technology 'several generations old', is a testament to the good game play found within the genre.

Sure, the number of people mudding has dropped significantly. But there are still games out there with 30 people on, pretty constantly (*point Dune* - telnet to dune.servint.com 6789...)

As an old time LPMudder (I'm aka Bubbs), it amazes me that code I wrote over 10 years ago is still in active use. But it's also great that people are still playing this often overlooked niche in internet gaming.

B

bid

Aethling said:
Actually, the history goes way back to text based games.

Muds, mushes, muses, mucks, etc... have been around, and, at the complex end ARE massive, multiplayer role playing experiences. The fact that text based muds are STILL popular despite using technology 'several generations old', is a testament to the good game play found within the genre.

Sure, the number of people mudding has dropped significantly. But there are still games out there with 30 people on, pretty constantly (*point Dune* - telnet to dune.servint.com 6789...)

As an old time LPMudder (I'm aka Bubbs), it amazes me that code I wrote over 10 years ago is still in active use. But it's also great that people are still playing this often overlooked niche in internet gaming.

Ah reminds me of my deprived childhood playing games on my C64.

Ulukai

May 2, 2000
It's nice to know there will be an abundance of nicely trimmed realistic bush in this upcoming MMORPG, more often than not things get out of control in that department making navigation difficult :mwink: