PDA

View Full Version : can i make a map that can open up...

Sin4Profit
21st Sep 2004, 01:12 PM
I was wondering if there was a way to make a map that can open up more rooms and paths based on how many people are in a server so that the map would start out a small 1v1 map but as more people connect to the server doors will open up based on player count making the map bigger?

Dragon_Myr
21st Sep 2004, 01:38 PM
Probably would require a new type of trigger to detect how many people are in the map (use the prox. range and set it to encompas the entire map). Then it could trigger doors.

chip
22nd Sep 2004, 05:06 PM
I was wondering if there was a way to make a map that can open up more rooms and paths based on how many people are in a server so that the map would start out a small 1v1 map but as more people connect to the server doors will open up based on player count making the map bigger?
what would happen if players left the map? if doors closed, might some be trapped in the closed-off regions?

OutlawSkot33
22nd Sep 2004, 05:21 PM
what would happen if players left the map? if doors closed, might some be trapped in the closed-off regions?
Commit suicide?

Sin4Profit
22nd Sep 2004, 08:19 PM
i'd most likely see it as a one time function. a map would start small to help build a server but when the players leave it stays big and the players would either play that or move to a new map, or just reset the one they're playing.

chip
22nd Sep 2004, 09:10 PM
might be interesting to construct a gameplay variation that incorporates this variable real estate concept, using some kind of warning that a section will be closing at a certain time, adding a time-pressure element. perhaps the closed sections would fill with lethal gas, or flood, or some equally deadly event, so in a DM, for example, players would have to decide to continue a duel or get the hell outta Dodge...

Sin4Profit
22nd Sep 2004, 09:25 PM
well if it's a trigger that Epic throws in then the mappers would have all kindsa fun creating those suspenceful moments :-) so it could go either way i guess, just an option mappers can put in "trigger once" or they'd have to use two triggers, one to open the doors when the player count is high and one to close when it is low. could always put a delay on that closing trigger that sounds off a countdown. many possabilities with that. but i was mainly asking because i have been playing the Action UT mod and there are too little players in the game to justify the map sizes, was just thinkin of ways one could have large maps but at the same time help servers pop up as someone will be more willing to play a one on one with someone in a small space and let it grow from there rather then trying to play a one on one (which is how new servers start out usually ) in a large map. so the idea mainly comes from building server support but like ya said this could add different gameplay variations as well. say like a game of onslaught where the link ups are a simpler path with fewer players and become more complex with the more players that come on. i think most of this could be done with a trigger that can count how many players are in a map but i'm no coder so i don't know for sure.