[harware problems]The Doom3 demo is evil!!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
So I tried installing the doom 3 demo just for the heck of it.
As it was installing my stupid screensaver popped up. I quickly moved the mouse to make it go away. It didnt go directly back to the install screen, but went to the windows startup splash screen and sat there for a while. So I ctrl+alt+deleted' it to see if that would get it back. It has before.
This time it comes up with an error, some pageinfo dump kernal problem. So I restart. It loads up the MoBo splash screen and sits there. So I decided to just turn the computer off. After a few moments I turn it back on.
Low and behold my hard drive starts making this weird clicking sound.
Its a rythmic 4 clicks and a pause. Well needless to say my computer cant detect it as a boot device. BIOS doesnt even detect it.
I thought maybe I could take the HD apart but it has some weird skrew head that I cant manipulate.
And in the process of it all, I shorted out my PSU. So in the end I ordered a new 120gb western digital HD, and a new antec 400watt psu.
I would still like to get my old HD up so I can get my stuff off it. I doubt I will be able to though. :(
So yeah, TEH DOOM 3 DEMO IS EVAL!!!!!!!!!111oneone!!1stuff

edit: Oh, I really dont think the demo killed my computer. Its just my scapegoat for now cause I feal like it.

Last edited:

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Put in the new hard drive and then put in the old one as a slave drive and see if your computer will detect it. I would actually blame the problem on the screen saver or Windows itself.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
tool said:
Put in the new hard drive and then put in the old one as a slave drive and see if your computer will detect it. I would actually blame the problem on the screen saver or Windows itself.

I'm not sure if that will work though. The clicking sound makes me think something is loose on the inside.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Clicking sounds coming from a hard drive are usually indicative of the drive trying to re-home because it had a read/write error and it is attempting to retry the operation. If that happens immediately upon powering up the computer, it is an exceptionally Bad Thing, because that would mean that the drive doesn't seem to be able to home properly on startup.

This type of problem stems from a physical problem with the drive's platters or heads; software of any kind (not even viruses) cannot cause this type of a failure. If your current hard drive is an IBM DeskStar hard drive, I am pretty certain that this is the problem that you are having.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Screen savers are a waste of system resources, so I never use them. They also can cause some programs to lock up, so I havn't used one since the 95 days.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
I'm pretty sure it's a really bad idea to take a hard drive apart. Doesn't just a tiny amount of dust on the disc surface screw those things up?

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Don't open the drive unless you want to take it apart and play with the parts. The plater makes for a cool geek mirror. Unplug the drive and remove it from the case, wait till your new drive arrives, install the OS, then plug in your old HD and see if it works. I once saved every file of a crashed laptop HD (clicking sound and undetected by the BIOS) that way, every file exept a huge outlook.pst because it was saved in a place with unreadable sectors. The HD died shortly after that. I can only assume why it worked again for a few hours and just how much luck I had (didn't work with a different HD) but it's worth a try.

Last edited:

Warm Pudgy

null
Feb 18, 2001
BesigedB said:
A single bit of dust and the platter is dead. That's why they have to be serviced by the manufacturer!

nope, nope, not true, not true

i successfully booted windows 2000 from an 8gig hd while it was opened and AFTER i touched the platter and then cleaned it off with a very linty cloth

Last edited:

.altan

Tomorrow
Dec 22, 2001
There was a HDD-case modding article I read a year or two ago, they recommended opening it up in a freshly-showered bathroom, since all the dust will be stuck to the walls and whatnot due to the moisture.

sweeny

stick that in you phife and smoke it!!!
Nov 29, 2002
Leeds, UK
Visit site
.altan said:
There was a HDD-case modding article I read a year or two ago, they recommended opening it up in a freshly-showered bathroom, since all the dust will be stuck to the walls and whatnot due to the moisture.

wouldent this nacker up the hard drive anyways as the condensation would condense in the HD

i had an old 12gb HD that sometimes stopped working makeing repeated nasty noises (like it couldent find home) however a heafty thwack while it was on seemed to sort out the problem. works best hitting it flat agains the table or sumthing hard :D

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
sweeny said:
wouldent this nacker up the hard drive anyways as the condensation would condense in the HD

i had an old 12gb HD that sometimes stopped working makeing repeated nasty noises (like it couldent find home) however a heafty thwack while it was on seemed to sort out the problem. works best hitting it flat agains the table or sumthing hard :D

lol
I did thump it a few times with the big end of the skrewdriver. It didnt help. Maybe it needs a harder thump.....hhmmm

sweeny

stick that in you phife and smoke it!!!
Nov 29, 2002
Leeds, UK
Visit site
BesigedB said:
I wouldn't make that a hobby with valuable data :)

he is liying, dont listen to him. you should wax your HD platter regualy to make it spin faster. also waveing a magnet over the disk will remove any metal particales. and if it is a cold day you sould wipe the disk over with anty-freez to stop it seasing up
:lol:

Last edited: