Unreal Tournament Invisible Weapons

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

pteppic

Sep 19, 2004
Is there a minimally difficult way to make a weapon in UT invisible? Not only invisible to the player, but invisible to all of the players?

Thank you for your time.

pteppic

Sep 19, 2004
I'm definitely missing something. I can make the weapon invisible disappear until someone picks it up and then I can quite clearly see it in their hand.

debucode

More twisted than evil, man and machine.
Feb 20, 2004
Seattle, WA
The weapon in someone else's hand is a different object (subclass of weaponattachment, it's held in the Weapon's ThirdPersonActor slot) than the pickup and also different from what you see from first person view.

I haven't played around with bHidden for attached objects, but I have done things like shrink it to be effectively invisible. In the Ninjas! mod, some of the thrown weapons do this to try and make it look like the weapon is leaving the player's hand. bHidden sounds cleaner to me if you really want it not to be drawn ever, though.

Another thing you could do is override the behavior of the weapon so that the ThirdPersonActor is never spawned in the first place (which would only work if you are doing a custom weapon).

Last edited:

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
........... could you just not give the weapon a third-person model at all? People wouldn't see anything then.

debucode

Feb 20, 2004
Seattle, WA
Not having the ThirdPersonActor is the "real" solution IMO. On the other hand, it might be a little bit more work. At least, unless you override some of the weapon/inventory methods I think you wind up getting some Accessed None's, so it winds up either being a little bit gross either way (cluttering the log with exceptions versus duplicating weapons/methods just to guard against accessing a null ThirdPersonActor).

So my opinion, if you want to make existing weapons disappear in third person, then shrinking the actor is probably the tactical option. If it's a custom weapon, then override so you don't have the third person actor at all.

pteppic

Sep 19, 2004
It is a standard weapon. I've been trying ThirdPersonScale (and others) with no success. How would you shrink that weapon?

So my opinion, if you want to make existing weapons disappear in third person, then shrinking the actor is probably the tactical option. If it's a custom weapon, then override so you don't have the third person actor at all.

debucode

Feb 20, 2004
Seattle, WA
I'd do something like this (just to shrink the weapon)

class No3PWeapon extends Weapon;

. Whatever else

/*
Override to make attachment invisible.
*/
function AttachToPawn(Pawn p) {
Super.AttachToPawn(p);
if (ThirdPersonActor != None)
ThirdPersonActor.SetDrawScale3D(vect(0,0,0));
}

debucode

Feb 20, 2004
Seattle, WA
Big oops - I just skimmed right by that UT before 2003 part. So...I dunno about UT.

Next time you need help figuring out how to do something in a different version of UT than you actually need to, just let me know....

Last edited: