PDA

View Full Version : UT2Vote removed from whitelist

NotoriousBIC
16th Sep 2004, 06:01 AM
As you probably have heard already, this came from the powers that be:
"Joe Wilcox" <email address edited out so he doesn't get spammed>
Subject: [ut2004mods] UT2Vote has been removed from the White List.

We have just removed UT2Vote from the official white list. If you are
running a server that uses UT2Vote, your server will no longer appear in
the server list if the "Standard Servers Only" checkbox is checked.

Please remember that for a mod to be white-listed, it must meet the
following criteria.

1. Mods must not alter the core game play mechanics of UT2004.

2. Mods must be smaller in size.

A 900K download to a modem user takes approx 6 minutes to download.

Hopefully, the author of UT2Vote will adjust his mod to fit the criteria
above and at that point it will be reconsidered for the white list.

Additionally, we've had a number of requests for other mods to be added
(such as PowerCoreVolumeControl). If you submit a request to us, please
include at least a link to the mod. It really helps to speed up the
review process.

Will you guys react to that by removing hitsounds and brightskins etc. or are you going to just leave it as it is?

I'll be happy either way, but perhaps a 'lite' version might be a good compromise.

dschingis
16th Sep 2004, 11:39 AM
anyone knows how big is

"smaller??"

899K would be smaller... :rolleyes:

edit: btw a nice hello to the comm. :)

NotoriousBIC
16th Sep 2004, 11:59 AM
I read somewhere around the 250K. Will need to look it up.

[HT]‹berByte
16th Sep 2004, 12:37 PM
WHAT THE F*CK!?!?!?!?!?!??! UT2VOTE REMOVED FROM WHITELIST?!?!?!? WHAT THE F*CK?!?!?!?!?! F*CK THESE PEOpLE DOWN AT EPIC tHE SLEEZY BASTARDS WHAT THE MOTHER F*CK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EPIC IS SUCKING THEIR ASSES UP TO THE ***** PRO GAMERS WHO CANT STAND TO HAVE THE GAME MODIFIED IN ANY F*CKING WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS F*CKING BULL****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY F*CKING GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS F*CKING BULL****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO ****ING WONDER LESS AND LESS PEOPLE HAVE BEEN SHOWING UP ON MY ****ING SERVER!!!! THE MOTHER****ING DILDO SUCKERS DOWN AT EPIC ****ING BLACKLISTED UT2VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! **** THIS!!!!!!!!! MAPVOTE ****ING SUCKS ****ING HAIRY DONKEY BALLS!!!!!!!!! EPIC EATS ****ING HOT DOGGIE CUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

dschingis
16th Sep 2004, 12:53 PM
lol

first of all, try to put the windows extrem shift function out (by pressing caps lock)
then it would be nice to use only one "!" in every sentence, then there is no need to use words, which need a star, then you can maybe talk to other people

ProAsm
16th Sep 2004, 01:18 PM
Yes, I received a direct email from Epic about this.
What amazes me is UT2Vote has been around the 900k for a very long time now, and its only in 43 that it went over 1 meg - surely they could have warned us.
Hell to players still use modems - amazing.

As for the HitSounds and WorldShaking - thats just plain dumb :(

hmishima
16th Sep 2004, 01:49 PM
So...what are you going to do? Are you going to take hitsounds and brightskins out so you can get back on the list? Surely that could be a quick fix...maybe UT2Vote44B:)

I want my standard server status back! I know it's certainly not your fault, but I remember it was a big deal for you to get on that list in the first place.

uberbyte - spellling error in your post...there is a small 'p' in 'PEOpLE'. Don't let it happen again.

hmishima
16th Sep 2004, 01:50 PM
Oh, and a big FU to the turd that pointed hitsounds in UT2Vote out to Dr.SiN on the Atari forums.

ProAsm
16th Sep 2004, 03:26 PM
Oh, and a big FU to the turd that pointed hitsounds in UT2Vote out to Dr.SiN on the Atari forumsYeah that was a disaster was it not, pity... anyway we'll see if we can get some sort of 'legal' UT2Vote out asap.

dschingis
16th Sep 2004, 03:45 PM
is it possible to compress this in some ways????

and what i dont understand is,
when you have ut2vote you dont need 50% of your muts (like utcomp,...)
this makes the transferlimit less than before

and afaik is zounds also a standart server
-> my zounds files are 3 x 2mb to load
would interesst me if my server is a standart server...

NotoriousBIC
16th Sep 2004, 03:57 PM
Zound is not whitelisted afaik.

How unfortunate as I may find it, there is sound logic about saying that brightskins, hitsounds and worldshake change the core gameplay and shouldn't be whitelisted.

The size thing is a bit stupid though, but wouldn't UT2Vote be much smaller without the above features?

Anyway it's great to here you guys are getting a 'white' version out :tup:

[HT]‹berByte
16th Sep 2004, 04:36 PM
Could you use the same type of compression as the uz2 files? UT2Vote is only 210kb as a uz2. And besides I dont give a **** about the retards with dialup.

[HT]‹berByte
16th Sep 2004, 04:37 PM
Yeah that was a disaster was it not, pity... anyway we'll see if we can get some sort of 'legal' UT2Vote out asap. WHEN???

ProAsm
16th Sep 2004, 04:39 PM
The Brightskins, Hitsounds and WorldShake together will reduxe the mod by only about 10k.
We gonna have to dump big things like the WeaponStats, NewMaps Menu, TopMaps Menu, Option of Tally or Image Windows, the new MidGameMenu buttons (that took a lot of code), the WebAdmin stuff (piles of code), Opinion Votes, Admin message, Chatlogs and maybe the new OtherDMPrefix as that took a lot of coding.

Its gonna be a busy weekend :)

Sir_Brizz
16th Sep 2004, 04:51 PM
utcomp is NOT whitelisted.

tuco[HaH]
16th Sep 2004, 05:05 PM
Quick shot: preprocessor #ifdef UT2VOTE_LITE

Then have a UT2Vote and a UT2Vote light?

I personally can live with a UT2Vote without all of the above as there are alternative Chat Loggers and the rest you mentioned we don't really use. Not even clan match setup at the moment.

tuco[HaH]
16th Sep 2004, 05:06 PM
Nobody answered yet if the "Standard Server" checkbox is really such a big deal. Do people actually use it? If, how many? Those that read here, could you ask your users, perhaps?

[HT]‹berByte
16th Sep 2004, 06:14 PM
The Brightskins, Hitsounds and WorldShake together will reduxe the mod by only about 10k.
We gonna have to dump big things like the WeaponStats, NewMaps Menu, TopMaps Menu, Option of Tally or Image Windows, the new MidGameMenu buttons (that took a lot of code), the WebAdmin stuff (piles of code), Opinion Votes, Admin message, Chatlogs and maybe the new OtherDMPrefix as that took a lot of coding.

Its gonna be a busy weekend :)

No omfg I hate epic!! By MidGameMenu, you dont mean the kick and map voting buton's in the pause screen? I would really hate to see those go, they make such a difference with noobs. And keep the option of talley. And not webadmin :'( And if by admin message you mean the # sign before your text and it comes up in the middle of the screen, I would piss my pants to see that go. If by image windows you mean the map preview screen, i don't know what I would do. These are the reasons I use ut2vote and not mapvote. Striping these away would be turning it into mapvote :( I don't have any problem with getting rid of weapon stats, topMaps, opinion votes, chatlogs and otherdmprefix, but keep the things I mentioned above. Screw the *******'s that use dialup, games like this were not ment to be played on dialup.

Lotus2
16th Sep 2004, 08:46 PM
Oh, and a big FU to the turd that pointed hitsounds in UT2Vote out to Dr.SiN on the Atari forums

Trust me, had I had any clue that would be Dr. Sin's reaction, I wouldn't have responded to him. In retrospect, probably should have seen it coming... Always kneejerk reactions.

Can't turn back time tho eh =(

hmishima
16th Sep 2004, 09:47 PM
Trust me, had I had any clue that would be Dr. Sin's reaction, I wouldn't have responded to him. In retrospect, probably should have seen it coming... Always kneejerk reactions.

Can't turn back time tho eh =(

Yeah...Yeah...it's all good. No worries. Epic however, needs to remember, that they exist because of us, and not the other way around. Don't bite the hand that feeds. What if we admins got together and shut down our servers for the release of ECE unless the put UT2Vote back on the whitelist? Now THAT's an idea for ya.

Sir_Brizz
16th Sep 2004, 11:18 PM
no it's not, that's a stupid idea. The day you guys decide to do that I'll have 4 servers set up with 3 servers each and 32 player limits in a heartbeat.

UT2Vote doesn't need the BLOAT which is exactly what that stuff is.

ProAsm
16th Sep 2004, 11:40 PM
No problem Lotus2, we were pushing our luck to way over the edge anyways.
I actually thought we would get bombed with the BrightSkins as that we really fight the 'Engine' but with the HitSounds... hell I would never have thought Epic would make such an issue out of them.
And as for the WeaponShaking... for crying out allowed, there is even a INI setting for that in the UT2004.ini

[Engine.GameInfo]
bWeaponShouldViewShake=True

And UberByte, dont worry too much, most that stuff will stay in. :)

Once we have been WhiteListed again, the next priority will be a UT2VoteLite :)

[ZT]Zoid
18th Sep 2004, 03:35 PM
The biggest problem here is that Epic has chosen to enable the 'standard servers only' checkbox by default. Most players DON'T know about it. We run UT2Vote (Thanks a million ProAsm and the Dev team) and we've seen a significant dropoff in traffic since they disallowed servers running UT2Vote from showing up as 'standard'. And it's not the 56k'ers that we're losing (heh, didn't even know there were peeps trying to play this on 56k. . .:eek: ) - it's the regular players who probably don't know about the checkbox and haven't added it to the favs - :( Hopefully this will get resolved soon - UT2Vote is so much better than the default (and UTComp for that matter) and it's got so much more to it that I'd hate to see it not used in general just because of this.

[ZT]Zoid

ProAsm
18th Sep 2004, 05:04 PM
Yeah I just cannot believe Epic would come with this 56k Modem story.
Hell even out here in darkest Africa, 80% of gamers use ADSL, 15% on ISDN and only about 5% on 56k Modems.
To get UT2Vote down to below 250 we will have to remove almost everything.
Looking at all out backups here I see one of the very early releases, UT2Vote14 was 447k

What amazes me most is when Epic Whitelisted UT2Vote41 in mid May this year it was then already 935k.
It had HitSounds, NoShaking, SkinBrights and everything that it has today, just today these items are better perfected.
Leaves my understanding stone cold :(

groovyjoker
18th Sep 2004, 08:07 PM
Joe Wilcox" <email address edited out so he doesn't get spammed>
Subject: [ut2004mods] UT2Vote has been removed from the White List.

We have just removed UT2Vote from the official white list

Like, who gives a ****?

Sir_Brizz
18th Sep 2004, 11:23 PM
Standard Servers has never been checked by default for me.

dschingis
19th Sep 2004, 02:47 AM
maybe you should go another way and make ut2vote that public that it will be on most of the servers, and so epic would have to do something...

[HT]‹berByte
19th Sep 2004, 10:00 PM
Yeah I just cannot believe Epic would come with this 56k Modem story.
Hell even out here in darkest Africa, 80% of gamers use ADSL, 15% on ISDN and only about 5% on 56k Modems.
To get UT2Vote down to below 250 we will have to remove almost everything.
Looking at all out backups here I see one of the very early releases, UT2Vote14 was 447k

What amazes me most is when Epic Whitelisted UT2Vote41 in mid May this year it was then already 935k.
It had HitSounds, NoShaking, SkinBrights and everything that it has today, just today these items are better perfected.
Leaves my understanding stone cold :(

The 56k story is just trying to cover something up. Because that is bs. Custom maps are allowed on standard servers, and I have seen maps as big as 40mb. Better not mention that to DrSin, he'll probably blacklist that to.

Sir_Brizz
19th Sep 2004, 10:40 PM
Standard Servers aren't supposed to be running much if any custom content.

[HT]‹berByte
20th Sep 2004, 07:13 AM
Standard Servers aren't supposed to be running much if any custom content.
Much of any content that modifies the gameplay. And I just want to give a FU to all of you that are siding with epic on this matter.

groovyjoker
20th Sep 2004, 12:42 PM
Heheh...All previous versions of AntiTCC now join you as being banned from the whitelist:

UnrealAdminPost (http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8101)

I support the conspiracy theory. Weren't there some management changes in Epic....something about them selling portions of the game rights to MidWay...not that MidWay could influence any of this in order to direct the path of future game development, but while we are talking about conspiracies. :eek:

Sir_Brizz
20th Sep 2004, 02:06 PM
:lol:

Wormbo ASKED Epic to do that :p

Imaginos
20th Sep 2004, 04:06 PM
This comes off the server admin listserv:

The hitsounds/bright skins are the reasons why UT2Vote was removed.
We'd also like to see it be smaller, but those two features are what absolutely prevents it from being whitelisted.

- Steve