Warning!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Super(ST)Trooper

Super Like
Mar 3, 2000
Visit site
I recentley updated some of my windows at microsoft, and didn't know it but ended up with corrupted files especially the windows exe. Now I cannot tell you which updates did it, because they were not able to be brought up in a search. Just becareful what you download there..

------------------
Which one are you? The Quick or the Dead!

Bazizlnitch

Was it stuff from windows 2000? Cause the new windows had about 2000 known bugs. So if they are part of windows 2000 that might be what is what's up.

bullet2.gif

-Bazizlnitch Team X
http://teamx.clanhosting.com

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
lol.. uhh.. yeah, ok.

1) Windows 2000 shipped with about 63,000 known bugs (this includes typos and other little nit-picky stuff).

2) He could not possibly access the Windows 2000 update center if he's using Windows 98. It won't let him. So it's not a case of mistaken OS'ity (pun on identity).

3) The likely hood of the file actually being bad on the MS site is about as likely as me winning the lottery without ever buying a ticket.

4) Most likely cause is something on ST/Bones' computer itself. (Not blaming you ST, just saying, those files are never bad)

5) Windows 2000 is by far and away the most stable, reliable (predictable), fastest, managable Windows OS ever. I've yet to run across even ONE of those 63,000 bugs I've been hearing/reading about.

Ok, me done now. Going to bed. See you guys tomorrow. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me." ~ Robert A. Heinlein
nguid:453406

ThrasherX9

Dec 5, 1999
Visit site
damn rooster, why do you have to be such a "KNOW IT ALL!" /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

bullet2.gif

**"Someday we'll look back on this moment and plow into a parked car."-Evan Davis

**"Women need a reason to have sex - men just need a place." - Billy Crystal.

Vortex

My last status sucked
Jan 19, 2000
Planet Express
Visit site
Don't trust downloads. Ever. I saved a simple text file to disk once and now I can't access that disk as it is totally screwed and that had all this funny stuff on and my links to various sites. So that sucked.

bullet2.gif

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when
a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

B

BloW__Smoke

That true vortex,

Microsoft i do believe don't got any bad files on their system, but they can have defective hardware, and the way between them and you'r PC, is long, going over bridges routers, detours etc etc, the change of getting a corrupt file is always their. Ok the change with MS is lower (mutch lower) as that of a unknown warez site.

I do like MS2000, but their HW support is still limited, and i'm waiting for the needed HW driver for my PC, but then Bye bye 98, and HEllo 2000 for me to.

Does btw anyone know if UT supports dual CPU's under Windows2K
Q3 Does it seems, hope UT does too

BiPolar

Mar 18, 2000
Visit site
Be very careful of what you download, even if it seems its from Microsoft.

Late last year, I got a message from my computer saying there was a "critical update" that I could download. I click ok. It takes me to a page, looks exactly like the MS updates page, and tells me I should d/l this file to update security holes in Outlook (or something, don't remember exactly what). Of course, I say ok. Now, you may be familiar with how d/l's are signed with an authenticity certificate. This certificate said it was unauthorized. So I'm like.. hmmm... but I checked the URL for the page, and it was a Microsoft url. So I figure they got the cert. wrong, and d/l it.
Two days and 6 gigs of lost data later, I had learned a painful lesson.
What gets me is the url -- somehow they masqueraded a microsoft URL -- hackers are so f@cking smart sometimes, its scary.

Vortex

My last status sucked
Jan 19, 2000
Planet Express
Visit site
OK here's another story. I signed up for xoom.com so I could make a web page but I never got round to starting it /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif but anyway I got this e-mail from them saying there was this piece of software I should download called Attune that would tell me if there were any problems with my PC and sort them out for me. So I downloaded it and what do you know, it sucks! The only helpful thing it ever told me was that my version of Windows 98 ws not Y2K compliant and I had to download a HUGE file to sort it. I never bothered and anyhow come 2000 nothing went wrong with wondows or the PC. And what's more all this stupid Attune thing does now is sit there and perform illegal operations even when it's not open. There. Just thought I'd tell u that.

bullet2.gif

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when
a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

Malsar

Dec 24, 1999
Canada
Visit site
How interesting. I don't think I understood that last post either.

bullet2.gif

"Learn about art Captain. When you understand a species' art, you understand that species"
-- Grand Admiral Thrawn

Wolf Blackstar

That other Wing Commander guy
Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
I'm running 2nd Edition on my machine. But before I change OS's, I back my old stuff up, buy a new hard-drive, and do a "virgin" install. Either that or FDISK an older drive and then install. I never put one OS over another. This has alway worked for me.

bullet2.gif

-Wolf Blackstar

"A chainsaw! find some meat!"

Super(ST)Trooper

Super Like
Mar 3, 2000
Visit site
Well my I nuked my hard drive before I installed SE, the problem occurred when I updated some files from Microsoft windows updates! So be cautious about updating there! My system runs much better since I found and eliminated the problem..

bullet2.gif

Which one are you? The Quick or the Dead!