New cell phone. Siemens S65 or M65? Any suggestions?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Olethros

Functional alcoholic
The time for my old Siemens M35i to retire to silicone heaven is nigh, however faithful and downright indestructible it has proven itself to be these last three and a half years. Now that I have to choose its successor, I'm torn between the gadget-craving wanking-over-particularly-impressive-technical-specification-sheets techno-geek and the gun-toting run-through-the-woods-buck-naked-killing-polar-bears-with-my-bare-teeth outdoorsman in me over these two alternatives, respectively: the Siemens S65 and the M65.

The S65 has more memory, much better camera, Bluetooth and IM capabilities and all-round better computing hardware than the M65, but the latter is shock- and water resistant like my old M35i. I'm really having a hard time desiding here, so if any of you own either of these phones and know of any ups or downs I should take into account then please drop a line or two here. At €400 and €338, respectively, this is a somewhat sunstantial investment so I'd like to get most of the facts straight before making the final desition.

2_SeeK_U

uni.... meh...
I usually would suggest a samsung (been with them for awhile now) but in this case the SL65 is a really nice fone. Its a tad bigger then the 55, which if you have used before is tiny anway, but for me it felt like a perfect size.
Have you held one of the M65's or S65's? To big for me!
The only downside is options. The S supports mpeg-4 while the SL just has your basic java2 and camera features.
S65:
Accompanying features
Connectivity options Bluetooth, Data-cable, Infrared
Camera support 1.3 mega pixel camera with still and video support (MPEG4, 15fps)
Data support GPRS Class 10
Exchangeable covers No
Internet applications WAP 2.0 browser
Memory
Internal -
External -

Yes (11MB)
Yes, MMC (32MB included)

Messaging capabilities SMS, EMS, MMS, and e-mail (STMP, POP3, and IMAP)
Ringing tones Polyphonic (40 chord)
Synchronisation with PC Yes
System for...
Add-on applications -
Gaming -
Phone -

Java MIDP 2.0
Java MIDP 2.0
Siemens Propriety

Extras supported
(not listed above)

or the SL65:

siemens_sl65-large.jpg

Accompanying features
Connectivity options Infrared, data-cable (USB and Serial)
Camera support VGA still and video camera (8fps video, 640 x 480 stills)
Data support CSD, GPRS Class 10 (4+1/3+2)
Exchangeable covers No
Internet applications WAP 2.0
Memory
Internal -
External -

Yes
No

Messaging capabilities SMS, EMS, MMS, and e-mail
Ringing tones Polyphonic ring tones
Synchronisation with PC Yes, SyncML over-the-air
System for...
Add-on applications -
Gaming -
Phone -

Java MIDP 2.0
Java MIDP 2.0
Siemens proprietary

Extras supported
(not listed above) Attachable flash light IFL600 (optional)
Handsfree speakerphone

I'm upgrading from my e700 to, hopefully, the Motorola MPx200. Its one of Motorola's new smart phones, really nice!

A View of the menu

mpx200-screenshots.jpg

Picture of the phone

MPx200.jpg

[C22]-Acolyte

Ai kotoba afuro to gunsou!
Jan 20, 2002
INF-land
Visit site
I've got a Siemens CX-65. I like it. Though the default firmware has few minor, yet annoying, bugs in it. Luckily the owner can update the firmware him/herself :) I wouldn't go for a flip/slide/swing/dingledongle toy phone. They usually have crap battery life and the flip/slide/swing/dingledongle mechanism will someday wear down and break. And as for the smart phones with MS software on it... Combine chinese or taiwanese ODM phone with MS made software and slap on a Motorola tag = Certain disaster ;)

Olethros

Functional alcoholic
I finally made up my mind and ordered the M65 today. According to people on the amobil.no forum, the S65 isn't really up to the environmental challenges of the Rainy City (Bergen). Owning an M35i, I am one of the few people that won't be particularly inconvenienced if you call me while I'm in the shower, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Not that I get many people calling me in the shower. Or any other time. But it always pays to be prepared, you know...