PDA

View Full Version : Custom Clan related skins?

wraithzcage
1st Sep 2004, 07:23 PM
Just wondering, i know ut supports custom skins, but will utxmp be able to support them? Im not thinking anything complex just itd be kewl for ladder matches for each clan to have its own colors atleast or at the very least a custom tat on the existing skins, or whatever ud call it, the clan logo i mean, just some random thoughts.

Xaero
1st Sep 2004, 07:52 PM
Thats a pretty good idea. One of things about XMP and custom skins is its important to know which of the 3 classes your going up against, so custom skins would seriously mess things up. But if the skins were still basically the same, just slightly modified for a clan, that would be pretty damn cool.

Dragon_X
1st Sep 2004, 08:04 PM
that would be awsome :D

Jackal
1st Sep 2004, 08:13 PM
haha, way ahead of you guys. i have a skin with just our clan CFH logo patch on our backs, and a arm patch. soon as UTXMP comes out, and we find out for sure, i will then make it for CFH for UTXMP clan skins.

another idea is that you have custom skins for tournys only. activated via a mutator. and both teams have them. that way your normal skin when you play on Pub's, but when you skrim, you activate the mutator, and everyone has there clan skin on.

fireball
1st Sep 2004, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I could see this being fine for regular clans, but all we need is one asstard creating craptacular "clan" skins for him and his five favorite friends, and it'll get annoying as hell.

PRG
1st Sep 2004, 08:31 PM
The biggest problem with custom skins is differentiation.. IN 2k4, not a big deal, everyone has the same weaps/health/shields, deal with it or die. But in XMP there's a big difference between a gunner and ranger, and the damage they can deal/take from where.

IndianPsycho
1st Sep 2004, 08:39 PM
Yeah, I could see this being fine for regular clans, but all we need is one asstard creating craptacular "clan" skins for him and his five favorite friends, and it'll get annoying as hell.

These skins would need to be on the server in any case, and if the server admin puts these "craptacular" skins on his server, his server is craptacular anyway :p

IndianPsycho
1st Sep 2004, 08:40 PM
The biggest problem with custom skins is differentiation.. IN 2k4, not a big deal, everyone has the same weaps/health/shields, deal with it or die. But in XMP there's a big difference between a gunner and ranger, and the damage they can deal/take from where.

I don't think it's really such a big problem, as long as people don't go overboard. Just adding a small logo or something on the back of the skin won't really influence anything.

fireball
1st Sep 2004, 08:45 PM
These skins would need to be on the server in any case, and if the server admin puts these "craptacular" skins on his server, his server is craptacular anyway :p
Ah yes, I forgot that skins had to be serverside. Phew :p

wraithzcage
2nd Sep 2004, 03:27 AM
"craptacular" :lol: :lol: ...yeah i know what u mean it could get out of hand i just meant like a small patch or logo on their back or a color change too for the ladder matches maybe........just some small customization i just thought it would lend some individuality to each clan and help set them apart from their rivals.....

Jaybo
2nd Sep 2004, 03:49 AM
sounds like a very nice idea....impressive

:)

[DF]phalanx
2nd Sep 2004, 04:16 AM
yeah
/me loads up UPAINT

dutch_gecko
2nd Sep 2004, 05:01 AM
As long as only the texture is changed it should work fine. That way the character's basic shape will be exactly the same and easily recognisable. That still allows clans to have a lot of customisation.

Jackal
2nd Sep 2004, 05:37 PM
"craptacular" :lol: :lol: just some small customization i just thought it would lend some individuality to each clan and help set them apart from their rivals.....

OMF, u mean like the colors RED AND BLUE????? LOL

or u mean clan wise. cuz it shouldn't be alowed on just normal UTXMP game play, cuz then a bunch of noobs like Owl will make stupid gay skins. it should only be for scrims.

Oh_Duh
4th Sep 2004, 11:37 PM
I think that if there were just a couple of places like a patch on front,back or shoulders that were skinnable that would be pretty cool. Maybe room for clan logo and rank or something like that. I like the idea but classes must stay the same as they are.

Splinter
5th Sep 2004, 08:48 AM
i think i'd be a great idea for league matches and such like but normal public use shouldnt be alowed becaise i s'pose the idea could be exploited, e.g pretend to be on the oposite team. that'd screw the game up alot. but on league matches and such like (im sure there will be way more leauges in utxmp) it would be awsome to run about with your clan logo on ur back! :D

Oh_Duh
6th Sep 2004, 01:51 AM
.... i s'pose the idea could be exploited, e.g pretend to be on the oposite team. that'd screw the game up alot.....

I am assuming that the teams would still be distinguished by red vs blue and that the classes would remain the same. Therefore I don't think it would be confusing in the pubs. Clan logo in pubs would be a great recruiting tool, imo.

[DF]phalanx
6th Sep 2004, 06:15 AM
yes
just the thing i need
altho sheer player numbers help
anyway it would be impossable to exploit the skins becasue every skin would have a red and blue version