New Main Server Ordered

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

QAPete

Chief Muckety Muck
Aug 17, 1999
Pottstown, PA, USA
www.beyondunreal.com
I've finally gotten around to ordering our new main server, a Dell PowerEdge 2850! Here's the main poop:

Dual 3.0 ghz/1 mb cache Xeon processors, 800 mhz FSB
2 gb DDR2 (2x1 gb), 400 mhz Single Ranked DIMMs
6x73 gb RAID 5 array, PERC4ei
Redundant power supply

Delivered cost of the server is about $5800, which means we went a little over what was collected in the fund drive. If you were planning on contributing, but didn't get around to it before the drive ended, please visit that page and make that contribution.

I'm expecting delivery of the new box in about three weeks. After that, we'll get to work on the configuration. This is a big job, and it's going to take time to get it right. As Epic likes to say, it'll be done 'when it's done.' I'll post more news and some pics of the new box after it arrives.

Thanks to everyone for helping make this a reality. We're cautiously optimistic on just how much more responsive and reliable things will be around here with the new server!

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
Well, I didn't see that part anywhere before. ;) 100M is sufficient I suppose.

N

none984981

Why Dell??

I'm glad you're getting a new system, but why in the world did you get a Dell??

Dell's systems are so overpriced and underperforming. You could have gone with a system from Appro or Newisys using Opterons for much less money than this. Additionally, you could have used 10k rpm SATA instead of SCSI to keep that cost down to even less.

QAPete said:
I've finally gotten around to ordering our new main server, a Dell PowerEdge 2850! Here's the main poop:

Dual 3.0 ghz/1 mb cache Xeon processors, 800 mhz FSB
2 gb DDR2 (2x1 gb), 400 mhz Single Ranked DIMMs
6x73 gb RAID 5 array, PERC4ei
Redundant power supply

Delivered cost of the server is about $5800, which means we went a little over what was collected in the fund drive. If you were planning on contributing, but didn't get around to it before the drive ended, please visit that page and make that contribution.

I'm expecting delivery of the new box in about three weeks. After that, we'll get to work on the configuration. This is a big job, and it's going to take time to get it right. As Epic likes to say, it'll be done 'when it's done.' I'll post more news and some pics of the new box after it arrives.

Thanks to everyone for helping make this a reality. We're cautiously optimistic on just how much more responsive and reliable things will be around here with the new server!

QAPete

Chief Muckety Muck
Aug 17, 1999
Pottstown, PA, USA
www.beyondunreal.com
none984981 said:

Dell's systems are so overpriced and underperforming. You could have gone with a system from Appro or Newisys using Opterons for much less money than this. Additionally, you could have used 10k rpm SATA instead of SCSI to keep that cost down to even less.

Hardly. Xeon processors, especially the 1mb cache ones, outperform Athlons in this sort of environment. SCSI RAID has been around forever, and supported by Linux very well. I don't know Appro or Newisys from a hole in the ground (Newisys was just sold, BTW, and they've only been around since 2000...), but I know Dell, and use several Dell servers, with excellent results.

Pete
-BeyondUnreal

E

ekk

none984981 said:

its a server, not a desktop :/

nice piece of HW, looking forward to the day it goes online

Z

ZippyV

Don't forget to post some pictures of the beast when it's arrived

B

bob95987

SCSI isnt the only choice, Fibre Channel is an excellent choice, better the SCSI because of the dual path's and until recently, faster. The fact is that most FCAL and SCSI drives are identical, the difference being the redundancy inherit with FCAL.