PDA

View Full Version : Physically removing the windows key

rhirud
1st Sep 2004, 04:31 AM
There is no need- You can remap the keyboard at registry level with this tool

http://www.tucows.com/preview/327616.html

I've also remapped the left alt key, to right alt, and vice verca, because I used both alt and tab within the game - and if i pressed them together - then I'd taskswich to my desktop - not ideal.

The only downside is now having to remember to use theright alt for ctrl- alt-delete

Remapping fools windows into thinking my "windows key" is another key of my choosing. So i've arbitarily fooled my computer to think the windows key is "end" - and this allows me to use the windows key as a button in the game - I use it to play my vehichle horn.

I've been using it now for 3 months, and since it's a registry tool, it doesn't run in the background, it's a fire and forget solution.

Radiosity
1st Sep 2004, 05:34 AM
Cool, that's one annoying windows 'feature' I can disable. Only 2,000,567 more to go :rolleyes:

Incidentally, if anyone happens to know how to stop XP constantly customizing my folder views after I've already set them up how I like, I'll give them a soddin' HUGE cookie with chocolate chip topping :) This is currently #1 of my top 10 most hated windows XP 'features', coming just before 'Sticky keys' (at least I can turn sticky keys off though).

[/semi-hijack]

KenjiE20
1st Sep 2004, 06:45 AM
@ Radiosity: Nope, this is controlled under the windows 'hidden' control panel, where Bill Gates edits the random crash value.

T2A`
1st Sep 2004, 08:10 AM
Radiosity: The whole folder customization thing is probably a bug. In theory, you get 400 (I believe; may be a tweakable setting) folders that stay however you want them and when you change the 401st, the first goes back to however Winpoops wants it. But I can't get it to remember three folders, so I don't know. No "sodding" cookie for me (crazy Europeans ;)).

Thread starter: Cool. :D

BooGiTyBoY
1st Sep 2004, 08:42 AM
Like I mentioned in the Keyboard thread.. if ya don't wanna mess with registry stuff you can use I Hate This Key (http://www.bytegems.com/downloads.shtml) by ByteGems. Just pm or email me for the crack. I won't post it here due to forum rules. :)

GeneticFreak
1st Sep 2004, 08:44 AM
Aww it doesnt work under Win98. I've had all the keyboards in my LAN void of the windows key. And its kinda sucks because all that cigarette ashes would get inside it and swoop under the other keys.

Taleweaver
1st Sep 2004, 09:37 AM
Like I mentioned in the Keyboard thread.. if ya don't wanna mess with registry stuff you can use I Hate This Key (http://www.bytegems.com/downloads.shtml) by ByteGems. Just pm or email me for the crack. I won't post it here due to forum rules. :)
Yes, but that's an external program, which should be running in the background. If you never use the windows key, you can just as well delete it completely; it doesn't save a lot of memory (I guess; don't know I Hate This Key), but there's nothing extra running in your memory.

BooGiTyBoY
1st Sep 2004, 09:41 AM
<--- uses his windows key as superweapons hotkey :)

JaFO
1st Sep 2004, 11:32 AM
damn ... it doesn't appear to work for the bloody F-lock key. :(

Angerfist
1st Sep 2004, 11:34 AM
<---- wasn't able to find his windows keys in the pile of PC sh!t...

KenjiE20
1st Sep 2004, 12:25 PM
<--- 's Windows key is defunct during gameplay
*borrows Angerfist's fist* Linux forver!!!

hyrulian
1st Sep 2004, 12:45 PM
Aww it doesnt work under Win98. I've had all the keyboards in my LAN void of the windows key. And its kinda sucks because all that cigarette ashes would get inside it and swoop under the other keys.
After prying off the Windows key, try applying a piece of duct tape or something similar over the resulting hole, to prevent dust, hair, and in your case, ashes, from getting into the keyboard. :)

Radiosity
1st Sep 2004, 03:11 PM
@KenjiE20 - I would love to find that control panel, seriously. Must be really well hidden ;) Bit like the secret Ued Goblin menu in UnrealEd I guess, found it by accident once and really wish I hadn't. Man that was scary.....:eek:

*Radiosity reads what he just typed......

I've really gotta cut back on the caffeine :lol:

KenjiE20
1st Sep 2004, 04:30 PM
really[/b] gotta cut back on the caffeine :lol:Unless you're at FragBU, all night caffine run.

SlayerDragon
1st Sep 2004, 10:20 PM
After prying off the Windows key, try applying a piece of duct tape or something similar over the resulting hole, to prevent dust, hair, and in your case, ashes, from getting into the keyboard. :)

Another fine tip from the man who brought you last night's hot carl. :mwink:

Kah-Neth
1st Sep 2004, 10:36 PM
there is a tool in the win 2003 server redist addon pack that does, all these utils run in xp and 2k as well