PDA

View Full Version : mmo mod

cole_bie
29th Aug 2004, 08:56 PM
Would any of you guys play an mmofps mod for UT?

BooGiTyBoY
29th Aug 2004, 09:01 PM
Only if it wasn't like every other you mean an rpg style mmo mod for ut2004? An mmofps would be normal UT with a huge player load on the server haha.

Anyways... Probably not me as mostly all mmorpg's are exactly the same. Stand in one spot and repeatedly whack the same monsters over and over and over and over until you:

1) level
2) Get the drop you want
3) drop dead of extreme boredom
4) get pissed off at all the people KS'ing you and stealing your drops.

If you wanna play a game like that on the Unreal engine... play Lineage II. (yuck)

Angerfist
29th Aug 2004, 09:15 PM
any links perhaps?

cole_bie
29th Aug 2004, 09:35 PM
it is just an idea not a real mod.

Angerfist
29th Aug 2004, 10:29 PM
ow... didn't read properly i guess :rolleyes:

cole_bie
29th Aug 2004, 10:32 PM
lol

hal
29th Aug 2004, 11:09 PM
I'm not sure it would be possible. Mainly because of hardware concerns. To have a MMORPG, you need to have dedicated servers to maintain the perpetual world. Considering the high requirements per player that UT2004 requires, it probably wouldn't work.

Think about U-Engine games like LineageII and the late-UltimaX that sought to create a persistant world. Those types of games require more and more servers as the game becomes more and more popular. And unlike UT2004 type game servers where anyone can operate one, these need to be under the control of a single entity.

Daedalus
29th Aug 2004, 11:26 PM
it would be an interesting idea. You could buy weapons n stuff from the unreal universe in town, and then outside of town fight monsters such as pupae (for noobs) and skaarj. funny thing is, I had an idea like this while back. Although it was a single-player mod that was like Morrowind in the Unreal Universe.

Also, it's true that mmorpgs always stick to the same ideas but for some reason...Ragnarok Online keeps me coming back. I dont get it.