PDA

View Full Version : DM-Kestan

ChromeBallz
28th Aug 2004, 04:04 PM
Instead of bugging people all day on irc (which is a lot faster than this forum though :P) i'll just post my level-to-be here.

The lay-out of Kestan's Island (UT99) is only on paper atm, but i'll post newer version of the level as i progress. Maybe someone even likes to see how a n00b makes a level :P

I hope no one will mind if i keep updating this post/thread as i develop the level further. Or, maybe i shouldn't do this at all for some odd reason someone might (will?) post here sometime soon. Anyway, check this post often, it'll get updated as i progress with the map.

Current version: 0.0035 (http://chromeballz.fluxxnet.nl/Kestan/DM-Kestan.rar)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, i made "the first room. A large sideroom of the floor above waterlevel (the level will be a floating construction with some floors below the waterlevel). The skybox is finished, if you may. I'm still puzzling with the sunlight to see which position it's best placed at.

That's the first problem, and the premier motivation for this post. The angled trims have (literally :P) a dark side, which shouldn't be there according to the position of the sunlight. See screenshot below:

http://chromeballz.fluxxnet.nl/Kestan/Kestanbug1.jpg

If someone knows how to solve this, all help is welcome :)

darth_weasel
28th Aug 2004, 04:10 PM
try making the surface brightcorners true and rebuild. that usually fixes black polys for me.

ChromeBallz
28th Aug 2004, 04:37 PM
I already tried that, it didn't work. That's why i ask :P

Nahand
28th Aug 2004, 04:41 PM
... change light source a little to the side and make poly highDetaliShadow?...

ChromeBallz
28th Aug 2004, 04:51 PM
woohoo! I intersected the brushes hat make up that trim, and simply added em again, and merged the faces. Works now. Kinda stupid i couldn't think of this earlier :P

ChromeBallz
28th Aug 2004, 05:46 PM
I made some additions to the geometry, and made the lights more "interesting". I think i got some nice ideas for the look of the rest of the level.

http://chromeballz.fluxxnet.nl/Kestan/KestanProgress1.jpg

See the first post for the current version's download.

Nahand
30th Aug 2004, 02:28 PM
... i like the lights at doorways... however, doors and walls will need to be re-textured...

Bot_40
30th Aug 2004, 04:37 PM
This UTTech is still ugly :p

ChromeBallz
30th Aug 2004, 05:06 PM
Bleh, i needed metal textures, and outside of uttech i didnt find any good ones.

Also, i just made the portal for the door nahand, theres no room behind it yet :P

Sarevok
30th Aug 2004, 05:38 PM
woohoo! I intersected the brushes hat make up that trim, and simply added em again, and merged the faces. Works now. Kinda stupid i couldn't think of this earlier :P

I told you that on mIRC ;)
I think what causes that is to many large radius lights, I would get that when trying to create shadows

ChromeBallz
30th Aug 2004, 08:41 PM
I don't think it's just large radius lights, it's also because of the small surfaces. Figures why i never saw sirfaces that small in any map with terrain.

ChaosCrisis
1st Sep 2004, 10:59 AM
The map is lookin good man, keep it up :D

quillion
5th Sep 2004, 08:07 PM
oi! that map looks like my Section3b only like, 10 times better;)

looking good son, looking good! :D :D