UnWheel EC feedback thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Diego1203

Jan 10, 2004
I've been playing online for about 6 hours now and I've gathered alot of info about how people feel about UnWheel. For the most part people like it and have alot of fun. Two of the biggest hits seem to be UWKB-Billiards and UWBA-Jumpcity.

Here are some of the things that people have been asking for....

A demo derby game type
Random ball respawn locations for Billiards
Turbo, or boost
A rear view mirror for the rally car
Team versions of kball/ctf

And here are some of the things that are a must for future versions...

1.More polished maps, any map that is easy to get lost in (UWRC-Hilltop), will either make everyone leave the server or instantly start voting for another map. Also any map that doesn't look like a good amount of time and effort was spent on it will have people desribing UnWheel with four letter words, I'm sorry to say this Project X, but many of your maps aren't too popualr, Hilltop was one, Aldreas was another, RedPlanet also. Some need to be scraped and others just need more polish. I'm not saying people don't like all of your maps PX, ironicly one of your most simple maps, Avalanche, seems to be very well liked.
2.There seems to be problems with the spawing system, people spawn on top of each other even when the playstarts appaer to be correct.
3.Players vehicles need to be removed from the game when they leave, this can become a big mess on a bussy server.
4.There also need to be changes to the way race and rally games start, the way it is now, whoever picks their car first gets to start racing first.

There are tons of little things in every map that are uncovered right away with online play. I think several of our problems with maps can be solved with beta testers, now that we have online play that works well I think it's time to find some dedicated testers.

I'm sure I've missed some things and I'll probably update this post with more findings. Everyone please add your input to this thread as well, team members and players alike.

Last edited:

Dragon_Myr

Mar 4, 2004
I downloaded the Unwheel EC zip file today and tried to load the map Avalanche but it would not load up in game. Here's a shot of what UEd told me was missing.

This is much better than beta 3 (or whatever the last release is). :) Good stuff and thanks for bringing this mod to UT2004.

BTW, quick question, who made the static mesh roads?

-Myr

Attachments

• UWerrorAvalanche.JPG
    UWerrorAvalanche.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 52

Sporx

Aug 27, 2004
hi , i really havent been around the forums but im a long time player of your mod as well as many others. I and several others came upon what appears to be a glitch while playing in the UWCTF-aquanum map, after awhile of play we began to experience what appeared to be delayed response time between ourselves and our vehichles, and even over exagerated responses. Our ping was normal, what was happening was basically wed tap left or right or even hold them down to turn and the action wouldnt occur until several seconds later, i tried to pivote my tires while standing still and found the same result. Also, i was going at a fairly slow speed having just made a k turn when i lightly taped the left key to reconfigure my position and it sent me flying in circles and eventual off the platform. When i respawned i respawned off kilter , rather then being flat on the ground i was at a 60 degree angle and couldnt move, hitting the flip key fixed this but it was still odd. I discussed all of these issues with other people while playing on the map and all of them agreed and reported similar and or identical problems.

Dracarys

Oh Noes!
Aug 21, 2004
Respawning shouldn't put you in the orientation you were in when you reset; you should be flat on teh ground and facing the same way as the playerstart. I also am annoyed by the lack of turbo, spawning in stacks, and the lack of a headlight control. Not having configuration for cars may be a good thing, as it forces you to try to work out which car is best for specific scenarios, not just using the same one with different settings. Also, not needing to tweak settings speeds up the car selection process, which lets you spawn sooner (also need to find some way to wait until everyone's ready to start). Much of the mod is dependand on everyone selecting the car at the same time; few gametypes aren't very effected, and all are to some degreee. I think we should have some team gametypes too (ctf, and kball sound good), as those can be a lot more fun, though I admit I love the chaos of FFA kball. Also, perhaps teh dump truck should be disabled for kball (much as I hate to say this; I use it all the time) because it can run over (and at teh same time flip) almost any other car, and no matter how many cars are fighting against it, it always moves forward. That brnigs us to another thing I'd like to see: Additive force. If three players are all pusing on teh one truck, I somehow think the truck shouldn't prevail. That's all for now, if you're still reading, so get back to work! :)

Oh yeah, adn whoever runs server 1, all the score limits except K-ball, CTF, and racing are too low. UWBA-Avalanche ends in two rounds, and Rabbit is REALLY short.

[edit] and a random ball spawn location setup for kball would kick ass! As long as it never spawned in or above a goal, or on a ramp leading to one, that is. ;)

Last edited:

Diego1203

Jan 10, 2004
Dragon_Myr said:
I downloaded the Unwheel EC zip file today and tried to load the map Avalanche but it would not load up in game. Here's a shot of what UEd told me was missing.

This is much better than beta 3 (or whatever the last release is). :) Good stuff and thanks for bringing this mod to UT2004.

BTW, quick question, who made the static mesh roads?

-Myr

I played online for most of the day today, including several games in Alavanche, and no one seemed to have a problem with getting into the map. I could be mistaken but I thought that package was one that came with UT2k4. Maybe someone else will have some input about it.

StevenHorton is the one who made the road meshes.

Thanks for the reply.

Diego1203

Jan 10, 2004
Sporx said:
hi , i really havent been around the forums but im a long time player of your mod as well as many others. I and several others came upon what appears to be a glitch while playing in the UWCTF-aquanum map, after awhile of play we began to experience what appeared to be delayed response time between ourselves and our vehichles, and even over exagerated responses. Our ping was normal, what was happening was basically wed tap left or right or even hold them down to turn and the action wouldnt occur until several seconds later, i tried to pivote my tires while standing still and found the same result. Also, i was going at a fairly slow speed having just made a k turn when i lightly taped the left key to reconfigure my position and it sent me flying in circles and eventual off the platform. When i respawned i respawned off kilter , rather then being flat on the ground i was at a 60 degree angle and couldnt move, hitting the flip key fixed this but it was still odd. I discussed all of these issues with other people while playing on the map and all of them agreed and reported similar and or identical problems.

The only thing that I can think of is that the vehicles that get left behind sart to lag the server more and more as they pile up, I know you said that your ping was normal but I don't trust what the scoreboard says about ping, It was telling me I had a ping of 3, I don't believe it. Respawning off kilter and having to flip to regain control is a problem that might not be lag related, we'll try and get it worked out, thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

Dracarys

Oh Noes!
Aug 21, 2004
Yes, those packages come with UT2004. Get someone to send you copies of them. I haven't ran into anyone having trouble loading Avalanche, and load it fine myself.

Diego1203

Jan 10, 2004
Dracarys said:
Respawning shouldn't put you in the orientation you were in when you reset; you should be flat on teh ground and facing the same way as the playerstart. I also am annoyed by the lack of turbo, spawning in stacks, and the lack of a headlight control. Not having configuration for cars may be a good thing, as it forces you to try to work out which car is best for specific scenarios, not just using the same one with different settings. Also, not needing to tweak settings speeds up the car selection process, which lets you spawn sooner (also need to find some way to wait until everyone's ready to start). Much of the mod is dependand on everyone selecting the car at the same time; few gametypes aren't very effected, and all are to some degreee. I think we should have some team gametypes too (ctf, and kball sound good), as those can be a lot more fun, though I admit I love the chaos of FFA kball. Also, perhaps teh dump truck should be disabled for kball (much as I hate to say this; I use it all the time) because it can run over (and at teh same time flip) almost any other car, and no matter how many cars are fighting against it, it always moves forward. That brnigs us to another thing I'd like to see: Additive force. If three players are all pusing on teh one truck, I somehow think the truck shouldn't prevail. That's all for now, if you're still reading, so get back to work! :)

Oh yeah, adn whoever runs server 1, all the score limits except K-ball, CTF, and racing are too low. UWBA-Avalanche ends in two rounds, and Rabbit is REALLY short.

[edit] and a random ball spawn location setup for kball would kick ass! As long as it never spawned in or above a goal, or on a ramp leading to one, that is. ;)

Respawn orientation could be a bit tricky bacause you don't always respawn at a player start, but that's not my department so I can't really say. The turbo will probably make a comeback, but that's just a guess on my part. Also I messaged the guy resonsible for the servers about changing the goal limits, so hopefully tomorrow it should be better.

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Diego1203 said:
Respawn orientation could be a bit tricky bacause you don't always respawn at a player start, but that's not my department so I can't really say. The turbo will probably make a comeback, but that's just a guess on my part. Also I messaged the guy resonsible for the servers about changing the goal limits, so hopefully tomorrow it should be better.

I noticed we were respawning in each other a lot, but mostly this happens when we overload a map with too many people for the number of playerstarts in that map.

Alternativeley we could make it take longer to score points in Rabbit and double the amount of points you get for a K-Ball score (that gametype can take sooo long wit 8 peeps)

Oh and I'm adding those arrow markers Steven made to all my maps so that they ought to be navigatable soon. I'll release an update openly to the public too for them.

One final thing, I know we've previously spoken about this bu it's one of my main gripes about yours and Jerdaygo's maps: The lighting is extremely plain(i.e. white). e.g. in garageking (by jerdaygo) those lights should emit a soft yellow or blue, and in Roots it should have a soft green ambience (to simulate reflected light off of the grass) and a yellow sunlight colour (well, that's just real isn't it?).

EDIT: I get those packages as missing when I load it up in UED now? But I can still play it. Mebbe its a glitch withUED but I've definately got those textures on my machine and it thinks theyre missing. On second thoughts I don't even think those textures are in my map :con:

Last edited:

Sporx

Aug 27, 2004
I wasnt using the scoreboard for ping, i was using the f5 ( or is it f6? ) key, it displays an accurate real time ping reading ,where as the scoreboard doesnt, and i understand that. Anyway, the last thing that needs to be done is to dismiss the problem as something other then what it may be, is there anyone else that can attest to similar problems?

Sporx

Aug 27, 2004
One of the issues i have with the game in general, not just this perticular verison is that you loose speed unrealisticly when you float the gas. Ill be going top speed and ill lay off the accelerator just before a turn and just drop to nothing in a matter of milleseconds.

Oh yeah, and the cars arnt loud enough, at first i thought i just had the music up too high but i turned it down and noticed my vacuum cleaner sounds meaner then that.

Iv noticed on race maps when you hit the reset car button sometimes it respawns you facing the wrong direction.

Some of the larger race maps like the tropical one or fairy need to have some sort of directional indicators, its waaaaaaaaaaaay too easy to get lost or miss a checkpoint

set up some type of queue for racing games so the race doesnt start without people who have yet to join or select their vehichles.

oh, this is important, setup some type of anti camp over the CTF goals, people tend to just sit at the goals and wait for someone to come along and try to score, only to end up slamming into these people who camp right on top of the goals and then THEY get the point. Most of the ctf goals are small enough for someone to near completely cover with their vehichle.

add more rice burners =P

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Sporx said:
One of the issues i have with the game in general, not just this perticular verison is that you loose speed unrealisticly when you float the gas. Ill be going top speed and ill lay off the accelerator just before a turn and just drop to nothing in a matter of milleseconds.

Oh yeah, and the cars arnt loud enough, at first i thought i just had the music up too high but i turned it down and noticed my vacuum cleaner sounds meaner then that.

Iv noticed on race maps when you hit the reset car button sometimes it respawns you facing the wrong direction.

Some of the larger race maps like the tropical one or fairy need to have some sort of directional indicators, its waaaaaaaaaaaay too easy to get lost or miss a checkpoint

set up some type of queue for racing games so the race doesnt start without people who have yet to join or select their vehichles.

oh, this is important, setup some type of anti camp over the CTF goals, people tend to just sit at the goals and wait for someone to come along and try to score, only to end up slamming into these people who camp right on top of the goals and then THEY get the point. Most of the ctf goals are small enough for someone to near completely cover with their vehichle.

add more rice burners =P

I understand and agree with all of that, except for the rice burners?

Oh and bring back turbo, with a nice (and extremely powerful) fire emitter coming from the exhausts (with a loud roaring sound too!)

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Just downloaded the new version of the mod. well done its sweet. I love the handling of the cars, its a huge improvement over the last version. The cars are tricky to handle yet are fun to drive (like Gran Turismo) which is always a good thing. Having online play is really nice. Just had a funny few races online. Kepp up the good work.

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
either this is a bug or this guy was cheating. Someone in a viper GTS out-accelerated and out-top-speeded the smarmobile. Since the smarmobile is almost 50% faster than the flair F1 this can be considered a bug.

jerdaygo

How jerdaygo?
Jan 10, 2004
USA
ProjectX said:
either this is a bug or this guy was cheating. Someone in a viper GTS out-accelerated and out-top-speeded the smarmobile. Since the smarmobile is almost 50% faster than the flair F1 this can be considered a bug.

All the buggy style cars have midrange top speed and better acceleration than the sports cars which have a higher top speed slower acceleration, and the trucks have the best acceleration but slowest top speed, it kind of a balance thing.
If this is incorrect tell me, but this is what i remember from my conversation with shrimp about vehicle speeds, remember when the flair f150 was the fasted in all catigories :lol:

CrashOverwrite

Sep 28, 2003
Germany
Visit site
Hm... I`ll write a review soon.. UnWheel is the best mod I`ve ever played :D

Just a few things... the colorado track or how it`s called is really ugly. from the street, over the textures to the sky. just ugly.
the industry track... hm.. a little bit buggy. at some places the cars stuck every time.

jerdaygo

How jerdaygo?
Jan 10, 2004
USA
Dracarys said:

Hello I run server 1 and 2 and i have jusnt now changed the point level of all gametypes to player suggested limits BA = 50, CTF = 5, KBall = 5, KOTH = 50, Rabbit = 75, and Race = 3

just email me at UnWheelServer@hotmail.com if there are problems or you have a suggestion for a change, hope you have fun :)

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Project X, that would be me overtakiing you and owning your ass earlier in a Viper GTS. Loads of cars seem faster than the smarmobile, including the vipers, the flairs, my brother even overtook one in a monster truck. Flair F1 deserves to be fastest at everything, its the fastest car in real life.

The Colarado track may be a bit on the ugly side (looks better than a couple of other maps IMO) but it plays great, I also love sherwood and UrbanCircuit.

IMO UnWheel is the second best mod after Jailbreak. Not that thats a bad thing, thats better than most gametypes that shipped with the game.

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Look calm down, Im just sure that the other race cars should probably follow in the GTS's model for speed, accel. etc.

I only admitted that there was a possibility that u were cheating. There's always a chance.