PDA

View Full Version : is there a alternative for UnrealED?

darkrevenge666
26th Aug 2004, 12:14 AM
i am searching for a alternate editor to Unreal that i can use for free like Quake Army Knife (QUARK)
anyone know one
PLZZZZ
i seem not to be able to figure out Ued :mad: its prolly cause im stupid but ....
is wana make maps without the hassle of Ued (cant even make a simple room)

draconx
26th Aug 2004, 02:03 AM
I don't know for sure, but i'm 99% positive there is no alternative editor for unrealed.

There's lots of tutorials on using it at http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/ - it's actually a very straightforward editor (i never got q3radiant...)

Mychaeel
26th Aug 2004, 03:33 AM
Seems most mappers coming from the Quake engine stumble over the fact that the Unreal engine is using CSG (http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/CSG), not purely additive geometry like Quake does.

To make a room in UnrealEd, just subtract a cube from the (initially filled) world; you don't have to build a floor and four walls and a ceiling.

Unreal Wiki: CSG (http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/CSG) describes this in more detail.

W0RF
27th Aug 2004, 10:37 AM
Once you understand the basic concepts, it may surprise you how elegant the UEditor really is.

I highly recommend starting with Noctivagus' tutorials (http://www.planetunreal.com/architectonic/first_level.html). It's simple and straightforward, has tons of pics for assistance and will give you a good basic feel for UEd.

Then, crack open the tuts at 3dbuzz (http://www.masteringunreal.com). Buzz's video tuts are the best on the planet.

Magus_CT83
27th Aug 2004, 11:40 AM
I wish you could use 3-d max as an alternative...

W0RF
27th Aug 2004, 03:43 PM
Technically you could, in terms of building the world, but you would have to export it to Unreal, then import it as one giant brush. Doable but not practical.

Another alternative would be to do portions of it in Max, whole rooms only, or even individual pieces, export them all to Unreal, and just assemble the Legos.

Technically, that's all you're really doing in the editor now, carve out the rooms, then use the Legos to assemble the room. You would still need to go into the editor and do the other bit work, adding lights and botpathing and weapons and stuff, or have someone (*cough*) do it for you.

Magus_CT83
27th Aug 2004, 04:48 PM
Unfortunatly, the only reason I'm sticking with Ued3 is because I'm almost done with a level, apart from my skybox not working...I just need to add some details, then it should be done, then I might try working with 3-d max.

ghost_403
30th Aug 2004, 10:20 AM
YES THERE IS!
It is a 3ds max plugin called jalamander. It allows you to export the level in some strange format and then compile it in UnrealEd. You can even do movers in 3ds Max! The plugin is available at http://www.ridgers.org.uk/jamlander.

W0RF
30th Aug 2004, 10:35 AM
Unfortunatly, the only reason I'm sticking with Ued3 is because I'm almost done with a level, apart from my skybox not working...I just need to add some details, then it should be done, then I might try working with 3-d max.
That's weird, I just did a quick-n-dirty skybox last night with no problems. Subtract a cube, drop in textures (or better, a static mesh), set your skybox walls to "Fake Backdrop" rebuild, load in UT2004, and "viola"!

Magus_CT83
30th Aug 2004, 10:54 AM
ok, well everyone else says set the level's walls to fake backdrop, and your saying the skybox to fake backdrop...still nothing changed, I still get the problem of my skybox's walls disappearing. Now here's the pictures to show whats going on. the skybox works and everything until I do a build all, and then my walls of the skybox disappear and the level goes back to a basic texture.

P.S. I have 3dmax version 4.2

W0RF
30th Aug 2004, 02:28 PM
not the walls of the actual skybox cube, the walls where you want your skybox TO APPEAR

And yes, your skybox will not appear in editor. Save it and try ingame. It might surprise you.

:edit: I also didn't specify adding the SkyZoneInfo, but I wasn't trying to give a detailed tut, I simply thought you had already done that.

Oh, and for whatever reason, I had to set the zonelight to about half-power (128) or it showed nothing.

uNsaiN
30th Aug 2004, 03:14 PM
Your skybox will appear in the editor if you press "K" in the Perspective Viewport.

W0RF
30th Aug 2004, 03:33 PM
sweet!

Magus_CT83
31st Aug 2004, 12:09 AM
Ok, great, now it ****ing works. Half the time..It worked in game, and now its not. I ****ing hate ud3.0 ****ing hate it.

W0RF
31st Aug 2004, 07:39 AM
Your screenies look like you have your level inside your skybox?.... :confused:

Magus_CT83
31st Aug 2004, 11:12 AM
Your screenies look like you have your level inside your skybox?.... :confused:

If your refering it to that one pic with the clouds, i put that texture on the walls so since my skybox isn't working, I at least have clouds so I can work with the lighting the way I want it a little better. I'm so frustrated, after I went back to this thread, I tried it again on the Ed and it worked, once. Now I'm back to where I was and I didn't do anything different. Now its showing in ed, but when I play the game it looks like this..

Then if I do a build all, there is no skybox, just the textures on the walls like this.

W0RF
31st Aug 2004, 12:11 PM
okay, even tho it's "textured" in the editor, does it work ingame?

Magus_CT83
31st Aug 2004, 12:31 PM
Nope. it looks like it is in the editor in game. Do i need to go in game and select the map or can I go play map in the editor?

W0RF
31st Aug 2004, 01:05 PM
It shouldn't make a difference. To my recollection (I'm not 1000% sure of this), when I hit autoplay it still revealed my skybox properly on play.

Ok, make sure the wall textures on your skybox cube are set to normal (unless the walls ARE the sky, in which case, you may want to Unlit them), your walls where you SEE the sky are "Fake Backdrop", skybox is a cube separate from the level, SkyZoneInfo is in the skybox cube... basically go over every setting step by step.

Also, I'll PM you my email so you can mail me your level for personal checking, if you'd like.