24th Aug 2004, 12:23 AM
http://www.unrealplayground.com/download.php?mapid=6871

If you whant to give it a go.

Cobra Jet
24th Aug 2004, 12:25 AM
:)

Uncle_Bob
24th Aug 2004, 05:36 AM
Looks a lot better than last time, like there are no ashed out colours and I see you fixed the sniper problem where you couldn't see them. I'll get around to playtesting it at somepoint.

Cobra Jet
24th Aug 2004, 02:33 PM
Yes I took your advice, and fix those thing. Thanks for pointing those out. :)

Manticore
25th Aug 2004, 05:28 PM
I left a comment on the original version of this map posted over at mapraider.com. I'm not going to get into this here so if you want to check it out there feel free....

ChromeBallz
28th Aug 2004, 05:59 PM
Is the unlit part intentionally? Most of your maps don't really use lighting well imho, they look really "off".

Cobra Jet
28th Aug 2004, 07:45 PM
I'll make my selft very clear on my maps. I like them the way they are. They important part is that I make them for me. And if only 1 person out of 1,000 like it, then it whas wort the effort. I take comment's of people who no how to approch me for sugestion. Like Manticore Uncle Bob, and so on. But freack's whou say a it is simply crap nooB job it suck's I don't give a damn about there comment's it is stupid and childish. Cause it is not true, you have alway's good thing's in a map, and bad thing's. Like I said I will listen only to poeple who make intelligent comment's, and the next map I will put that in pratice.

ChromeBallz
28th Aug 2004, 07:48 PM
Calm down 0_o

I'm just remarking you don't use a lot of different lighting, that's all.....

edit: Let's put it in another way then.... Why do you light your maps sparsely or not at all?

Cobra Jet
28th Aug 2004, 08:02 PM
Calm down 0_o

I'm just remarking you don't use a lot of different lighting, that's all.....

edit: Let's put it in another way then.... Why do you light your maps sparsely or not at all?

Open ED and see you have light's every where. And I'm not mad, I'm just telling you that I take advice, of people who no how to speack to someone, in good maner's that's all. Like I said for the rest like it suck's crap, an bla bla bla. It's not true they simply retard. All maps have good and bad part. That's all.

Cobra Jet
28th Aug 2004, 08:23 PM
Sorry for the double post :rolleyes:

ChromeBallz
28th Aug 2004, 08:32 PM
You still not answered my question, i'm sure you udnerstood :P

But, let's put that aside.

I saw that you used a 1 brush a lot of time to create some sort of terrain. That looks very repetitive, and a little bit sloppy. If you used bsp terrain, it'll look better, and above all it's easier on the bsp tree (and less poly's aswell). It might be a bit mroe work, but it should be worth it.

The doors are very annoying to me, but i think that might be more personal. Doors aren't really my favorite in any map, sine they hinder the flow a little bit. I think you try to counter that by making them open very fast though.

The scoreboard is a nice touch, but i'd take out the individual scoreboard (XXXXX leads the match.....), because CTF is a teamgame, and the individual aspect should not be emphasized with that board. (The CTF scoreboard is really nice.... where did you get it?)

There are some walls scattered around the landscape with dooropenings and "holes", thin things that sem to serve no otehr function that to block the view of snipers. Replacing them with structures to serve the same prupose would be better i think, since they seem out of place with all the other architecture around.

At that point: your level is VERY open. Even with precaching enabled, it caches when i turn to the middle of the map and walk through it. Zoning is nigh impossible here, so the only option left is occluding (another purpose for those stand alone walls?). I don't know how it would affect the lay-out though.

The skybox is a point of criticism. You can see the edges of the box with the lighting provided, and you used sprites for some of the objects. It would be better to make some sheets and mask the textures, since that fixes them in the skybox instead of the very strange effect they give now.

The lay-out is very simple and effective. It's only too bad that it limits itself to a plane (except the tunnels, but they don't really change that).

For some details: The chain textures of the scoreboards are somewhat off. That might be simply the beta stage though.

Cobra Jet
28th Aug 2004, 08:57 PM
Thanks for your comment's. I whanted to do a fast action map, instead of a very big one. For the sky box it is possible that you see something, but I have look carefully on my map, I don't see nothing. For the terrain itselft I whanted just to be like that, don't forget it whas done very fast. I don't have a lot's of time for maping, so when I have a couple of minutes a do it bit's by bit's. I no that it could be a lot better. But when I upload a map, I think that it is almost done. But when I play it. If I see a brush, or something else that it is not ok, I fix it on the spot. And I focus on the bots, and layout of the map for 90% except that map. I did not have the time to play test the bots. Cause for me I saw masterpiece made map, very oftend. But bots play very nil , and layout just the same. I think that you no what I mean. Thanks again and if you have any sugestion (I'm doing a map just for fun, a free for all. Like CTF-Wootabulus, give it to me, and I will put them in pratice. Sorry I did not understand all that you where saying. I'm french Canadian so I have some trouble sometimes.

ChromeBallz
28th Aug 2004, 09:00 PM
The pictures of Mars and Neptune in the skybox are sprites, or skins on visible actors. They always face the camera, that looks very strange to me. You might want to make those sheets facing the skyzoneinfo instead of sprites.

Cobra Jet
28th Aug 2004, 09:02 PM
Ya it is a idea.