PDA

View Full Version : Repairable vehicles

fireball
19th Aug 2004, 11:00 AM
Can we have them? :) Not sure how it'd be handled though, since there's no link-gun to fire at them and no non-enterable parts of the vehicle to "use", but it'd be great to finally be able to fix that Harbie after it spun out for the ninth time.

Emmet Otter
19th Aug 2004, 11:06 AM
I dont think you need to worry about vehicle damage due to bad vehicle handling and hitting mountains and such. The vehicles are going to handle very well in this version.

I personally dont like repairable vehicles anyway. Make it risky for the two arty carriers to haul ass back to base on a smoking raptor ;)

fireball
19th Aug 2004, 11:30 AM
Well, you'd have to get out to repair it, where a Ranger could snipe your ass anyway. Point about the lack of bad handling though.

atticbat
19th Aug 2004, 11:30 AM
I hope that the target for the mod is to be as close to the original as possible.

With the creative juices already flowing within the community, I am 100% we will see many many tweaks and twists for UTXMP 'after' the release.

But to nail the original feel and play of the U2XMP with the UT2004 gameplay will be an achievement that should put smiles on the faces of all the ut community.

Reeps
19th Aug 2004, 11:40 AM
Back when mapping for u2xmp I had tried to make a large platform for a vehicle to drive up on and repair damage. It didn't work though. I think something like repairable vehicles could be done in certain maps, but would possibly need more coding. Maybe something like Vehicle Powerstations?

Emmet Otter
19th Aug 2004, 11:42 AM
Maybe something like Vehicle Powerstations?Negative!

[DF]phalanx
19th Aug 2004, 12:02 PM
yeah like a station
a repair bay would be cool

Oblivion[CW]
19th Aug 2004, 12:22 PM
No repairing, they must blow up. People must die.

Captain Kewl
19th Aug 2004, 01:01 PM
Since the vehicles are based on the ONS vehicle code, they will be repairable... there just won't be any link gun to repair it with.

fireball
19th Aug 2004, 01:03 PM
Ok..
Bets on how long until a "vehicle repair gun" appears?

[DF]phalanx
19th Aug 2004, 02:32 PM
lol
and whats the bet the guy that makes it makes it for thier class

Retodon8
20th Aug 2004, 05:23 PM
A repair platform sounds nice.
Something like Link guns or TFC spanners would seem silly to me, but a repair platform would fit XMP.
Just alone the fact that it would help distinguish from UT would be a positive.
Don't get me wrong, I really like UT, but I want XMP to be XMP, and perhaps a bit more.
With pads it'd be up to the mapper as to whether or not they're there anyway.
All the above is my opinion of course.

fireball
20th Aug 2004, 05:43 PM
Yeah, I'd prefer a platform to be honest. Maybe just if you drive the vehicle to a vehicle spawn point, that repairs it? Or only some? (bRepairPad for UTXMPVehicleFactory or whatever class you're using)

Zaknafein
20th Aug 2004, 05:45 PM
I like the idea of the repair platform, however ... to ensure that someone doesn't just park the jug on it ... I would recommend that you have to have someone hack a panel persistantly for the vehicle to be repaired. That way you can snipe the guy at the panel and stop the vehicles healing.

Naib
20th Aug 2004, 05:59 PM
I like the idea of the repair platform, however ... to ensure that someone doesn't just park the jug on it ... I would recommend that you have to have someone hack a panel persistantly for the vehicle to be repaired. That way you can snipe the guy at the panel and stop the vehicles healing.

Good point

In BF1942 you used to get people that would sit in the other teams repair hanger in a tank shooting anyone that went near them. Because the tank was always being repaired it was one hell of a job getting rid of someone. In the end they changed it so you could only get repairs in your own base.

I think the idea of a guy at the panel is a lot better for XMP

[DF]phalanx
20th Aug 2004, 06:01 PM
lol just put it in an out of the way place
then they can park thier jug on it all they want
i say set it to work with energy so it won't work if ur team doesn't have enough energy

Major-Lee-High
21st Aug 2004, 04:16 PM
The repair pad is a good idea, although i still think engies should be able to repair things.

One of the dumb things in xmp was the vehicles getting all fuked up then having to blow them up and wait for it to spawn, when you should be able to heal it instead.

Splinti
22nd Aug 2004, 09:03 AM
The Thing with Hacking a panel to repair a vehicle rocks! :)
Would be one teamplay-thingie more in XMP!! :-D

Splinter
27th Aug 2004, 02:11 PM
yeah like u drive a vech onto the platform and then u hack the pannel, sounds fair. do i think its gonna be made? no :lol:

PRG
27th Aug 2004, 02:36 PM

All you need to do is make it work like the health/ammo/shield stations do currently. Once it powers you back up, it turns off. You need to move away then move back on it to retrigger it to get it working again.

[Shadow]Aksen
27th Aug 2004, 05:48 PM
All you need to do is make it work like the health/ammo/shield stations do currently. Once it powers you back up, it turns off. You need to move away then move back on it to retrigger it to get it working again.

This is exactly what I was going to post.

To continually repair, someone would have to hop out of the jugg, hop into the drivers seat, drive off and then back on to the pad, get back in the turret, repeat.

Twrecks
27th Aug 2004, 08:05 PM
You would think a Tech would be able to repair vehicles, after all his symbol is the "wrench". Now if he required a special "weapon" that might reduce the ability, similar to certain items being available like the turrets. Only at higher energy levels would this wep be available (perhaps even at a lower level than rocket turrets).
I don't think repairable vehicles are a bad thing, it just needs to be limited to create more class balance. Making Gunners the only class that can man vehicle turrets might not be bad either.

All the same, these changes would divert the game from XMP into something else. Keep with the basics, you can always add mods later.

Lyta
2nd Sep 2004, 09:01 AM
Sure .. a tech opens the hood, gets out his wrench and starts repairing and the other passenger of the vehicle gives good advices .. yep ;)

[DF]phalanx
2nd Sep 2004, 09:33 AM
or a repair vehicle :/

Mantik
2nd Sep 2004, 03:27 PM
Repairable vehicles? WTF is this eXpanded MultiPlayer or "Design A Game Based on Every Idea Ever Brought Up Within the Community to Suit Everyone's Needs But Make It Absolutely Nothing Like the Original MultiPlayer" ???

Because I'm beginning to wonder.

I'm with Atticbat. Finish the game as near as 100% perfect as possible, and then go from there. Mod it, make mutators, enable things in third party maps.. but don't make it part of the core game, or guess what.. it won't be XMP :rolleyes:

Sir_Brizz
2nd Sep 2004, 03:36 PM
XMP should have had repairable vehicles in it anyways.

It's nothing new, it's just something that should have been included, and was probably planned.

Mantik
2nd Sep 2004, 03:45 PM
Repairable vehicles? XMP's vehicles can be killed with insane amounts of ease. They had virtually no HP. Just blow them up and let them respawn. Why would you bother to repair a raptor? Letting a tech repair a raptor would do nothing but increase peoples gutblow and raptor hogging tendancies. The nice thing about the way it is set up now is that you HAVE to abandon it or blow it up after time. You can't just sit there and drive around, and once it takes dmg let someone be in the turret and fire at people while the tech repairs it, gets back in and drives around some more letting the gunner wreak havoc on everyone in his way. True it's not something that will have TOO much of an impact on the gameplay now, but it will alter it some.. and correct me if i'm wrong but altering the gameplay is what people don't want this TC to do?

It's funny. In the beginning everyone was all "omfg, I'll never play this unless it's 100% exactly positively absolutely like the original for u2xmp is teh pwn!" and now the new trend is making it as far from the original as you can possibly make it :|

{DE}Rarhok
2nd Sep 2004, 04:11 PM
The vehicle would more likely be hogged, though you can mega slow the repair rate, which may help.

GlassBoy
2nd Sep 2004, 05:01 PM
repairing the vehicle would probably take about as much time as destroying it and waiting for it to respawn, it would just be handier, why not do it? It won't really harm gameplay.

just do the panels repair thing.

Peter Carlson
2nd Sep 2004, 06:45 PM
Sir_Brizz, it wasn't planned. We specifically decided not to do it.

-Peter

SwiftPaladin
2nd Sep 2004, 07:09 PM
I was thinking about, if this repair platform/panel hacking actually gets through, to have these stations in a relatively remote and isolated location of a map, so possible exploits could be avoided. If you need to repair your raptor, you go to X mountain and repair it there and go on your way.

Peter Carlson
2nd Sep 2004, 07:29 PM
One thing I wish I'd done in XMP was make it so that driving over a dropped artifact would put it in the possession of the driver.

Sir_Brizz
2nd Sep 2004, 09:16 PM
WEll not having repairable vehicles in XMP seemed VERY odd to me because I expected it to have it. Although, I also expected it to have air vehicles...

Personally, I think it was a bad decision for U2XMP because you could be driving to an undefended energy source and lose 50% of your health on "scraping" damage.

Maybe it won't be an issue in UTXMP...

Mantik
3rd Sep 2004, 08:34 AM
..you could be driving to an undefended energy source and lose 50% of your health on "scraping" damage.

But that's half of the fun :(

I used to love hogging the raptor on Sirocco and just kamikaziing into the other teams defenders and node for no apparant reason, respawning and doing it again. It's just damn good fun ;P

Mantik
3rd Sep 2004, 08:37 AM
One thing I wish I'd done in XMP was make it so that driving over a dropped artifact would put it in the possession of the driver.

It's not too much of a problem really, but that would be an awesomely handy feature. The biggest problem with the vehicles/arti combination is gutblowing an artifact carrier. Sometimes the arti gets stuck in the vehicle and you can't really return it unless you blow it up and then run over the artifact, or keep the raptor alive long enough for it to return home on it's own. Or sometimes it follows you around inside the raptor, it looks as though the artifact is sitting in your lap, but in fact it's still where the gutblowee died, so if an opponent happens to run over that area by chance even without the artifact looking like it's laying there, they will pick it up. I've done it a few times and thought "O___o mk.."

GotBeer?
3rd Sep 2004, 10:03 AM
I like the idea of having to get out to pick up the arti, like you do to change from driver to gunner. This gives the other team a better chance of returning it, instead of a boosting Raptor grabbing in on the go. Plus, it's easier to hit a stationary target.

fireball
3rd Sep 2004, 10:23 AM
Yeah.. I agree with GB, that would make it too easy.

Dragon_X
3rd Sep 2004, 11:07 AM
i agree with fireball about agreeing with GB, and also i dont like the whole repairing, its more fun to know you can blow up

WolfmanK
3rd Sep 2004, 11:44 AM
Repairing definatly isn't part of XMP as we know it.... that doesn't mean the game shouldn't evolve... but to start I'd like to see it as close as possble to that way it is/was, at least to start with.

If they are to be repairable it should be a tech who leaves repair packets or something along those lines in my opinion...

[DF]phalanx
3rd Sep 2004, 12:15 PM
but y tech?
techs do enough already

fireball
3rd Sep 2004, 12:36 PM
...because they ARE techs, and besides, their icon is a wrench?

Audellah
3rd Sep 2004, 12:42 PM
As a U2xmp player, i want UTxmp as close to the original game as possible: so i'll leave apart from the mod all the things about repairing vehicles, repair stations, healing guns and so on; later these things can be added with a patch or in the next build.

The only thing i want to change about vehicles is their maneuverability, hoping it'll be like vehicles in onslaught games... and maybe more hitpoints for the jugger... :lol:

GotBeer?
3rd Sep 2004, 01:11 PM
I agree with Dragon_X about agreeing with fireball about agreeing with me, and about not repairing vehicles. And like Wolfman said, it's not part of the current game, so why would a port have it? Let's keep as much as possible from the old "classic" version.

Mantik
3rd Sep 2004, 01:34 PM
Let's keep as much as possible from the old "classic" version.

\o/

Sir_Brizz
3rd Sep 2004, 02:29 PM
Personally, I don't REALLY care. I JUST WANT THE STINKIN GAME!!!!

Apathy
3rd Sep 2004, 02:32 PM
Repairing definatly isn't part of XMP as we know it.... that doesn't mean the game shouldn't evolve... but to start I'd like to see it as close as possble to that way it is/was, at least to start with.

If they are to be repairable it should be a tech who leaves repair packets or something along those lines in my opinion...

Of all the posts made in regards to changing XMP your post is the only one that wasn't a complete and utter waste of bandwidth Wolf.
If only a tech that can repair then it should be set up in a way that makes him vulnerable, not just laying down packs, make him have to lock into something and take a long time to repair as this will be his only hack weakness.

[DF]phalanx
3rd Sep 2004, 02:57 PM
how about we drop the extra stuff
so they got less to do
and release it quicker

Retodon8
3rd Sep 2004, 08:14 PM
Of all the posts made in regards to changing XMP your post is the only one that wasn't a complete and utter waste of bandwidth Wolf.

Why thank you!

Oh_Duh
3rd Sep 2004, 08:53 PM
I like the fact that raptors return to there spawn points. It helps to prevent raptor hogging. And being able to pick up an artifact by driving over it puts the raptor driver at a huge advantage over pedestrians. Healing raptors and drive over arty capture would unbalance the game play and then why would anybody want to do anything but drive the raptor. I say leave it the same. I like the fact that the driver becomes more vulnerable when he has to get out to cap arty.

Dandeloreon1984
3rd Sep 2004, 10:25 PM
I like the fact that raptors return to there spawn points. It helps to prevent raptor hogging. And being able to pick up an artifact by driving over it puts the raptor driver at a huge advantage over pedestrians. Healing raptors and drive over arty capture would unbalance the game play and then why would anybody want to do anything but drive the raptor. I say leave it the same. I like the fact that the driver becomes more vulnerable when he has to get out to cap arty.

that may be true, tenacity, but i know that it would not hurt to set it as an option for server admins, many things should be set as server options... lol... here is a list of things that are suggested that i think should be a mutator or server option...

vehicle picking up artifacts when bein driven or a passenger is in the vehicle. (mutator )
vehicle regeneration ( spawn factories being a special cage thing) (up to mapper)
more class specific abilities ( mutator )
more class specific weapons and weapon switching ( mutator)

energy lose removal ( server settings )
energy cap ( server setting, with a bare minimum setup )
name colors ( server setting, with a default of on )

dutch_gecko
4th Sep 2004, 05:43 AM
How about, each vehicle has a small glowing "patch", similar in appearance to a hackable switch, at an awkward place (e.g. back of the raptor, on a track of the jugger etc). This patch can then be used by the tech to repair the vehicle. Possibly let all classes be able to do it, but the tech faster, just like hacking anything else. Worth a try?

fireball
4th Sep 2004, 10:59 AM
That would be ODD, but it would work if you can code it, I guess.