What do you think the new engine should be? [Poll]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What do you think would be the next best engine?

• Far Cry - Crytech engine

Votes: 14 14.3%
  • Half-Life 2

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Doom 3

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Unreal 2004

Votes: 59 60.2%

• Total voters

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
So, theres a couple of engines being championed by different people on the net for the next inf. I think I've got all the engines I've seen in different posts. Post your vote and opinions here.

Im personally for Far Cry and the new Crytech engine. Vast landscapes and capable of good graphics, but its going to take some horsepower.

Last edited:

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
UT2K4. SS has a good understanding how to work it. Capable of large enough maps for the type of play for Infiltration. You can acheive some amazing looking stuff, just see any Angel Heart Map based on UT2K3/4.

If a couple of vehicals are going to be added such as a truck in some maps not that overly complicated (although getting realistic physics may be a problem).

Also extremly well supported. Almost any question you may have has been answered and there is the Unreal Developers Network site with details on almost everything you need.

Solid 3D export handles with easy importing into UnrealEd. Hell Maya and 3DMax export directly into it with the use of plugins.

I would like one of the programmers to comment on scripting in the various engines but I have read UScript is better structured.

fist_mlrs

that other guy
Jan 4, 2001
Zittau, Germany
www.fistmlrs.com
duke nukem forever.

doom
+ nice texturing
+ nice lightning
- medicore mod support
- radiant excuse of a level editor
- no open landscapes
- poor netcode

farcry
+ large outdoor maps
+ nice looks
- if you got the übersystem with a dx8 graphic card
- from what i've seen rather restrictive modding
- poor netcode
- support situation unclear

ut2004
+ netcode
+ easy modding
+ voicetransfer
+ unrealed
- quite restrictive in some areas
- annoying hardwired limits
- poor occlusion control, no terrain lod

halflife
-we don't know **** about it

Last edited:

2_SeeK_U

uni.... meh...
unreal-30-engine-screens-20040513083757453.jpg

new-unreal-engine-3-views-20040624041527026.jpg

Unreal 3 anyone?

Haha, l know l know, its not even an option, but l'm REALLY amased at this engine, take a look at the movie:

http://sanbjoe.home.online.no/nv40/unreal3_0002.wmv

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
I think they're waiting for everyone to get 64 bit machines and FX 20000 video cards. Which is probably why HL2 and Quake IV aren't out yet.

Last edited:

ravens_hawk

Apr 20, 2002
Visit site
Yes in the unreal 3 tech they said the only reason they could show it now was because of the latest video cards that allowed for framerates above 2-5. And yeah i've heard that at least deveplers have been waiting for a mainstream 64bit processor.
http://arstechnica.com/cpu/03q1/x86-64/x86-64-5.html
Read about half way down. The orange stuff.
So unless we want everyone to buy the latest hardware to play INF perhpas we should go with UT2K4.

OICW

Reason & Logic > Religion
(SDS)benmcl said:
UT2K4. SS has a good understanding how to work it. Capable of large enough maps for the type of play for Infiltration. You can acheive some amazing looking stuff, just see any Angel Heart Map based on UT2K3/4.

If a couple of vehicals are going to be added such as a truck in some maps not that overly complicated (although getting realistic physics may be a problem).

Also extremly well supported. Almost any question you may have has been answered and there is the Unreal Developers Network site with details on almost everything you need.

Solid 3D export handles with easy importing into UnrealEd. Hell Maya and 3DMax export directly into it with the use of plugins.

I would like one of the programmers to comment on scripting in the various engines but I have read UScript is better structured.

IIRC, there's a few problems with collision and hit detection with UT2K4, plus apparently the surround sound support isn't too impressive either. Still, I'd go for Inf on UT2K4 due to the mod support and the relatively familiar game code.

Philophobos

May 11, 2001
Visit site
Ima go with UT2K4 as well. I voted for the Far Cry engine, becuase I like it alot, but what has been discussed here about the UT2K4 engine makes alot of sense. However, should Sentry decide to use the UT2K4 engine, I must insist that I make the ragdolls. :)

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
OICW I forgot about the hit detection problems and yes surround sound for some reason is not that good. For hit detection though I am hoping something can be figured out like what yurch is doing.

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
2_SeeK_U said:
Which means a faster developed game. I mean the wait for 2.9 was bad enough for the community, imagin waiting for inf on a new engine?

Well, personally I hope they just port it to 2004. Quick and easy and its out. Then we can get better graphics and a little bit better game play. But, if they're going to start from scratch and take a year or two to make the game, then I'm for going with Far Cry. Probably in two years, 64 bit will be the standard and well have the machines to run Far Cry mods decently.

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
Logan6 said:
Well, personally I hope they just port it to 2004. Quick and easy and its out.
That is quite simply the most unapologetically, unabashedly stupid idea I've ever heard on these forums.

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
Lol, well your entitled to your stupid opinion, Arethusa or whatever the **** your name is. You and Salad should get a room. :D

Last edited:

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
You should get off your high horse and start listening to other people's opinions Logan6. If it were a simple matter of importing everyting in the UT2004 editor and recompiling then they would have done it. But of course it isn't. Beppo and the SS team would be stupid not to take ideas, code segments etc. from the old Inf to the new, as reuseable code is a keystone in software development, but to just take it as it is and convert it to work with the new engine would be tedious, inefficient and boring. To be honest, it would probably be quicker starting from scratch than trying to port it. And I know for sure that Beppo and the SS team aren't stupid.

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
Sorry for big OT but I couldn't resist, so skip it if you want.
Why should he listen, he knows everything.

Dullness for free or a cheap laugh:
Logan6 said:
(...)tell me how big a map can be in 2004. If its the same as in 2003, then forget it.(...)
fist_mlrs said:

Maps can be 6x6 kilometers in UT2k4, as in UT2k3, with reduzed player size they can be bigger, while INF maps are hardly bigger than 200x200 metres.
Logan6 said:
Thanks Fist. Well that sounds pretty good. Just wanted to be able to build some bigger maps than UT99 was limiting us to.
Isn't this odd?
But wait, it can be even worse:
Logan6 said:
Well, far cry is nice, but everything looks like a golf course. No grittiness, everythings too clean and nice, kinda like half-life. My moneys on UT 2004. Or maybe Full Spectrum Warrior.

Besides, probably the code for UT 2004 is pretty near the code for UT. Wouldn't it be easier to switch to 2004? It would be so nice to have a modern engine to run this sim on.
Logan6 said:
(...) after playing around with Far Cry at a Fry's Outlet here in Dallas [he got the impression that] it was nice, but it seemed limited. It didn't seem to have much flexibility. I can't see it being stretched to the limits like UT99 has been.
Logan6 said:
1677.7 SQUARE KILOMETERS !!! Screw small village maps, we could do small country maps! We could have aircraft, battleships, artillery, huge land invasions. Games could go on for weeks at a time! We could renact the invasion of Iraq, with both armys playing online! LOL!

Not too mention, go to the far cry site, and look at how beautiful the editor looks. Also the sdk allows shaders like Quake 3 used and its own scripting language like unreal tournament ( best of both worlds). So far it looks like UBI Soft is going to support this game. Also, its being said that it looks like HL2 and Far Cry are almost identicle engines.

Screw 2004. I vote for Far Cry!
And many more, but ....
Demosthanese said:
Mmmmmffmpfmfmmmpmfpmfffm, mmmpmfpmf fmpmfpppffmmmpp mfpmmmfpmmpp mmpmppmppppp mmppffppffmfmfmmfpfmp fmfpfm mmpmppmpfppfpffmpp. Fppmfpmppppp 2.9 fppmmmfmm pmfmmmfmfpppmmfmfpmppmpm, Mff pffmppppmmppppmmmpmpppff mmm
mfmpffmppmmmfmp ppmmmmpppffm mmfppfppmppmmpppppfmp ppfppp fmpmfpmpp pmfmmmmmfpmp ppfmpf mffppmpfmpffppffpmmppppmmpppppfmp ppfppp fmpmfpmpp Ppm16 mmmpppmpm ppffmpmfpmpppff pfmppfppfpffpmfffm ppmppfmpmmpppmfmppmpm
fppmppmmmpfmppfpppfmm, ppmppffmmfmp ppfmpf fppmfpmffmmfmfp fppmpppffmpp mffppp mfmmmmppmmpp. Mff'ppm fmmfmfpffmpp fmpmfpmmmfmp mmm ffmmppmmmpff mpfpffppfppm pppppffpp pfmmppppfpfmpmfmpp fppppfppp'fmp mmpmpp
pfmppffmmfmpmffpppmfm mmfppfppmpfmpmfmmmmffpppfmpfmm mmmmmpppffmffmp fmpmfpmfffmm pfmmmmmmfpmp, mppmfffmpmfpmpppff. Fppmpp'pmfpmf pmmfmffmmfmp pmfmppmmmpffppp fmpppf mffmfmpppppfpffmpp fmpmfpmpp pfmpffppfmmppmfmppppmfmm ppfpff pfpfmfmfffmp
pfmpmfmmmffmmffpppmfm mmpmppmmfmmmfmffmmmpp ppfmpf fmpmfpmppppm, mmmpppmpm mfffmp fmmmppmppppmfmm fmpmfpmmmfmp mmm pmfppffmp ppfmpf fmpmfpmpp pmfmmmfmpmpppff mfpmmmfmm mmpmppmppppp ppfmmfmmffmfpffmffpppmfm.(...)
That's what I'm thinking about Logan6's posts. So Logan6 please stop posting, if the content of your post has less information than mine ...

Last edited: