PDA

View Full Version : Touchscreen shooting

neilthecellist
11th Aug 2004, 07:15 PM
I was standing in a supermarket going through the checkout line with my mom and then I saw that the employees were using touchscreens to process our purchase....

...If I got a touchscreen for UT2004, wouldn't I have Godlike aim? All I would have to do is touch the enemy on the screen and he would die, right? Or am I wrong?

T2A`
11th Aug 2004, 07:31 PM
A touch-screen monitor is nothing without with proper software underneath it to make it work. Sorry to shatter your dreams. ;)

DaBeatard
11th Aug 2004, 07:34 PM
What if you used a pen-tablet in pen mode? That's kinda the same idea.

hyrulian
11th Aug 2004, 07:44 PM
I don't think it would work; the way touch screen drivers work is make the pointer go to a certain coordinate on the screen.

However, the UT games don't aim by moving a mouse pointer to a certain spot; rather they aim by seeing how your mouse moves in the X and Y axes, and reflects that movement in your aiming.

MrMaddog
11th Aug 2004, 07:48 PM
It would be interesting to see how a touchscreen can be used in a FPS game. Nintendo had a multiplayer demo of Metroid Prime running on their DS, and you can use the touchscreen to strafe and stuff...so who knows. :lol:

hal
11th Aug 2004, 07:52 PM
Wouldn't your arm get tired?

BubblesBubbles
11th Aug 2004, 08:22 PM
no more arm flab

shadow_dragon
12th Aug 2004, 03:16 AM
It takes to long to move your hand around teh screen, unless your a sniper and use both hands or something! But then i expect you'll find your just faster than your gun is anyway

JaFO
12th Aug 2004, 03:23 AM
Even if you could solve the control-problem (a cave-system perhaps ?) you still wouldn't be that much faster.

I'd say that looking at an enemy is faster ... so if you want to eliminate one source of 'lag' on your side then that is where you'd need to investigate.
The only problem is that you'd need to find a way to hit the firebutton or else you'd still be 'slow' ... (think of the helmet-sight system the Russians use in their fighters ... )

shadow_dragon
12th Aug 2004, 03:52 AM
Reflex shots are useless in UT for anything other than Instagib though, getting the first hit isn't much of an advantage, i find i often get the first hit on an opponent but still get owned!

Jrubzjeknf
12th Aug 2004, 03:54 AM
touchscreens have lag of their own. Go into some departmentstore and find a touchscreen controlled advertising computer and tap a button on the screen: you'll see that you'll have to wait 1/2 sec, maybe even a sec if the comp isn't very fast. Besides, how were you gonna move? You have one hand for WASD, one hand to move your FOV and one finger for shooting that ass that hides behind that hill. The last two are combined in your mouse, but not in your touchscreen. Conclusion: buy a mouse :2thumb:

JaFO
12th Aug 2004, 09:04 AM
Perhaps it takes 1/2 sec, *because* speed isn't exactly a requirement in those situations.
Nevermind that a really fast touchscreen probably would be more expensive as well.

Slainchild
12th Aug 2004, 09:56 AM
It wouldn't work (not right now anyway) because you cant right click on a touch-screen. Even if it did work you'd look like a twunt playing such a fast game like unreal. Just look at the eye-toy for ps2 :crazydance:.
I suppose it would be quite handy for strategy games like warcraft though.

edhe
12th Aug 2004, 11:07 AM
Reflex shots are useless in UT for anything other than Instagib though, getting the first hit isn't much of an advantage, i find i often get the first hit on an opponent but still get owned!
*cough*. .sure. :)

igNiTion
12th Aug 2004, 03:33 PM
i believe hal is correct

Selerox
12th Aug 2004, 04:40 PM

Bzzzzzzzz! Wrong answer! :)

BuzWeaver
12th Aug 2004, 04:55 PM
Play instant action and see what its like, bet its not as easy as one would think.

neilthecellist
12th Aug 2004, 08:31 PM
But the lag on touchscreen monitors at supermarkets have slow computers.....I have a 1.8 GhZ processor.....there shouldn't be lag if I got the touchscreen monitor, right?

hyrulian
12th Aug 2004, 09:28 PM
But the lag on touchscreen monitors at supermarkets have slow computers.....I have a 1.8 GhZ processor.....there shouldn't be lag if I got the touchscreen monitor, right?
Well, touchscreens have microcontrollers of their own that turn finger touches into serial data that the computer can understand, so the speed of the computer would not determine how fast the touchscreen could operate. :(

BinarySystem
12th Aug 2004, 09:30 PM
This might work. You'd have to try it and see. Pressing on the screen does register as a mouse movement, so maybe if you adjusted the sensitivity just right it could be accurate - but I don't know for sure if it would as it might not be entirely linear - IE something twice as far from the center of the screen may not require exactly twice the mouse movement to aim on it, so you might not be able to get the sensitivity perfect.

Also you would likely be accused of aimbotting if you could get it to work, due to the instant turning. The problem of turning/moving could be solved by using a joystick, which isn't the ideal implement for FPS gaming, but it would work.

And yes, I believe that the lag on touchscreen monitors only has to do with the software that is being used on them and the computer itself. I've used touchscreens that did not have any apparent lag.

KenjiE20
13th Aug 2004, 02:44 PM
If you used the Absoulte movement thingy that tablets use then it may work, however wouldn't you just end up breaking the screen during the first game anyway.Conclusion: buy a mouse :2thumb:

Angerfist
13th Aug 2004, 02:52 PM
i don't think the mouse + keyboard combo can be improved

BuzWeaver
13th Aug 2004, 02:59 PM
Well, you still have to be able to move. If your finger(s) are pointing at the screen, you still have to contend with moving with one hand or the other. Not to mention the fact that the target is most likely moving as well.

neilthecellist
13th Aug 2004, 09:29 PM
I just want to have godlike aim without cheating. Any way I can accomplish this?

And where can I get software for touchscreens?

T2A`
13th Aug 2004, 09:57 PM
Practice. Turn on the Arena mutator with Lightning Guns and play botmatches for like a month solid or something. Of course, that'll only improve your accuracy with that one piece of weaponry.

I'm sure the screens come with the software, but it won't matter anyway because it won't work with UT2004 with the results you're probably imagining in your head (touch the screen, bot dies).

neilthecellist
14th Aug 2004, 02:34 PM
Actually, that's exactly what I've been imagining. Touch screen, bot dies. :) LOL

BinarySystem
14th Aug 2004, 09:36 PM
It's probrably possible to get it working something like you are imagining. However, I still prefer my trackball. It's probrably more precise than mashing the screen with your finger. Unless maybe you used some kind of a wand to touch the screen with.

Taleweaver
15th Aug 2004, 02:34 AM
Actually, that's exactly what I've been imagining. Touch screen, bot dies. :) LOL
:lol: keep on dreaming, buddy.

Before heading out to the store, at least try to change your keys so your mouse arm is only used to aim. This include keybinds for turning left and right, unless you want the idea of shooting everytime you turn around (touch the left side of the screen=shooting that position, remember?).

My guess this is hard enough, but there's more to consider (besides what has already been said):
-touching the screen with your finger blocks a part of your view (unless you're using a small pen)
-it's not that easy to touch exactly the right spot in a split second
-aiming is also a matter of leading (especially with slow shooting weapons like the rocket launcher), in which the touchscreen doesn't give a good advantage

neilthecellist
15th Aug 2004, 04:55 PM
OK new question: If I keep "mashing the screen" with my finger all day long for many years, would the monitor break eventually? Are touchscreens durable?

hyrulian
15th Aug 2004, 05:15 PM
I would imagine touchscreens are very durable, considering that typical uses of a touchscreen are at POS (point-of-sale) terminals and kiosks placed in public places where various people touch away at them all day. :)

spineblaZe
15th Aug 2004, 05:58 PM
Even if you could get a touch screen system working, how would you look around? :B

BoboThePenguin
15th Aug 2004, 06:13 PM
I hope you're willing to invest vast amounts of money into something that probably won't work...
$699 (http://shop.pcconnection.com/web/Shopping/Product.htm?MSCSProfile=&NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=%2fweb%2fshopping%2fproduct%2ehtm%3fproduct_id%3d4852235%26SourceID%3dk40450&NRNODEGUID=%7bC03E868D-1CEF-4F98-8F00-45BF12FCEA4E%7d&NRCACHEHINT=NoModifyGuest&product_id=453067&SourceID=k22350&cookie%5Ftest=1)

DDRRE
15th Aug 2004, 07:38 PM
OK new question: If I keep "mashing the screen" with my finger all day long for many years, would the monitor break eventually? Are touchscreens durable?
LOL, mashing :D :D :D :D
I've got no idea why am I laughing out loud right now :X, maybe it's because it's 03:37AM here :(

neilthecellist
16th Aug 2004, 11:12 AM
NO but how many years will it last? Does anyone have a touchscreen here to answer my question??

NATO_chrisjm
16th Aug 2004, 02:56 PM
I think your finger would brake first.

Hummmmm repetitive strain injury ^^

neilthecellist
19th Aug 2004, 11:05 PM
Haha that's actually kinda funny!

But seriously, I want a real reply. :)

BinarySystem
20th Aug 2004, 09:04 AM
They are tough. They should only break if you drop them. Or if you get too into it and try to activate your touchscreen shooting by shooting at the screen with a pellet gun. ;)

neilthecellist
1st Oct 2004, 05:13 PM
where can i get a touchscreen?

igNiTion
1st Oct 2004, 05:20 PM
newegg.com

and also, it looks like touchscreen shooting will work, in nintendo's ds system. metroid prime: hunters will use it, for one.

here's a video of some stuff:
http://www.nintendo.com/ds/movies/video_ds_software_480.jsp

go to nintendo's site for more info about ds/touchscreen etc.

hyrulian
1st Oct 2004, 05:21 PM
Look around online, like using Froogle. You should be able to find some companies selling them online.

Try http://www.google.com/froogle?q=touchscreen&btnG=Search+Froogle

igNiTion
1st Oct 2004, 05:23 PM
It would be interesting to see how a touchscreen can be used in a FPS game. Nintendo had a multiplayer demo of Metroid Prime running on their DS, and you can use the touchscreen to strafe and stuff...so who knows. :lol:
ah just saw this, sorry. I hadn't actually read more than the first post and the second page of this thread.

anyways not sure if newegg sells touchscreens or not..but it does sell an assload of computer components

neilthecellist
4th Oct 2004, 11:07 PM
ugh my brother won't get me a touchscreen....but he'll get me a Keyboard and Mouse for XBOX!!!!

but if I do, it'll be so UNFAIR if I go on XBOX live, cuz i'll be killing people w/ a mouse and keyboard while they only have joysticks.

hal
4th Oct 2004, 11:37 PM
yes...

but you'll be on Xbox. :o

igNiTion
5th Oct 2004, 05:28 AM
but if I do, it'll be so UNFAIR if I go on XBOX live, cuz i'll be killing people w/ a mouse and keyboard while they only have joysticks.
What's so unfair about that? They could buy them too :) ;)

The Listener
5th Oct 2004, 07:01 AM
What's so unfair about that? They could buy them too :) ;)

But then it becomes just another arms race, buying skill and all that. Whatever happened to the good ol' days where no one cared who won? But that's another thread alltogether.

Anyways, I think the only real obsticle to a touch screen is how the cursor tends to wobble a bit. At least, I noticed it did a little on all those touch screens at all those Wedding gift regestry things.

DDRRE
5th Oct 2004, 07:57 AM
Umm....
2 reasons for: "What on earth is this thread doing in the front page after 1.5 months with 2 pages of posts only?"

1. Someone bumped this thread 2 days ago
2. BuF is dying

Scroll down to see the answer!

2: Incorrect, duh!
1: Correct! and the all-mighty bumper was no other than the starter, neilthecellist! and, oh my, what an original bump post!

neilthecellist, 2nd Oct 2004, 12:13 AM

where can i get a touchscreen?

No hard feelings, mate :).. Nice bump post though :lol:

Taleweaver
5th Oct 2004, 09:37 AM
Welcome back, DDRRE. In case you hadn't noticed, it's thread revival week ;)

@neilthecellist: keyboard+mouse > joysticks. IMO, it's only a matter of time before everyone is gonna buy these for their XBOX, so the unfair advantage isn't gonna last anyway. :lololol:

(and I'm surprised you still think you would have an advantage with a touchscreen in a FPS)

Animus
5th Oct 2004, 11:56 AM
last i heard that there are sensors that you can put on your head its just invided
and its just a experiment but they did it they had made a simple program that
someone can control
they use the pulses that sends your brain the sensor reacts to it and can activate
things in a specila program
imagion yourself that you are only gaming whit some sensors on your head
then who will become the best what will be the next problem strugglin to gain more speed from you into the game they would use drugs that will speed up your brains
WHERE WILL IT END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dont worry to be the best, its fun to win but you will never own everyone
just play fore fun!!

BinarySystem
5th Oct 2004, 03:16 PM
last i heard that there are sensors that you can put on your head its just invided
and its just a experiment but they did it they had made a simple program that
someone can control
they use the pulses that sends your brain the sensor reacts to it and can activate
things in a specila program
imagion yourself that you are only gaming whit some sensors on your head
then who will become the best what will be the next problem strugglin to gain more speed from you into the game they would use drugs that will speed up your brains
WHERE WILL IT END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dont worry to be the best, its fun to win but you will never own everyone
just play fore fun!!

I'm going to guess at what you just said, and say, yes, they have had the capability to take input from your brain and nervous system for some time now. It is used in some expensive prosthetics.

This usually involves surgery.

What you MIGHT be thinking of is, there was a group of scientists that placed sufficient electrodes in the brain of a lamprey that it was able to "live on" in a robot body after it's brain was removed from it's fleshy body. The brain was kept alive in a nutrient bath. Input to the brain was achieved by way of shining bright lights to stimulate various parts of the lamprey's brain.

So, although physicians will sometimes use electrodes to "read" your brain, this is a fairly invasive procedure and likely won't become the next wave in PC gaming. ;P

DDRRE
5th Oct 2004, 06:08 PM
That's like, "The Power of Five" glove (aka P5):
http://www.essentialreality.com/images/glove_photo_lrg.gif
About (http://www.essentialreality.com/p5_glove.asp)
See videos and demos with the glove! (http://www.essentialreality.com/demo.asp)

BinarySystem
5th Oct 2004, 07:31 PM
Nintendo Powerglove returns! But seriously, reading inputs from your nervous system (what HcF.Animus (dennis) mentioned) is completely different.