Easily create CB maps?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

double9s

Aug 5, 2004
So I was looking through the map tutorial (because CB is fantastic and if no one else will build maps for me, I might just try it myself) and I have what might be a stupid question. Ok, the last time i used UnrealED was back in Unreal 1 and that was just playin around so I don't have a good knowledge base. But from what i picked up from the CB tutorial it seems like you just need things like a clone jar holder and pumps and stuff like that specific to CB. My question is, couldn't you open up some Onslaught map from the original UT2K4, add the necessary stuff for CB, save it accordingly, and then play it? I would imagine that if that's possible, someone could easily make a couple quick levels. I know they don't have the style or "wicked awesomeness" of the real CB map, but it would atleast hold us over until some real maps show up, right?

Please, someone find a way to have more maps. This mod is dripping with style. It's incredible.

hollib

Registered Bandit
Aug 6, 2004
lübeck, germany.
:) where could i upload a clone bandits map?(betatesting but playable)
need some feedback, comments, so i can see what to do next.

double9s

Aug 5, 2004
hollib said:
:) where could i upload a clone bandits map?(betatesting but playable)
need some feedback, comments, so i can see what to do next.

I don't know but when you do, let me know. I need some new content.

Screech

Jul 11, 2004
alright, now for a link that works :D (the other one led to a map with, um., music problems....) http://games.trybalink.net go to maps and it is called "mingowar.zip" it comes with one of the songs in CBmix that you have to put in your music directory

I am hosting a dedicated server on linux, trying to get it worked out right now.

double9s

Aug 5, 2004
The new map is pretty cool and I've been having fun on it, but no one has answered my initial question about the ability to build maps. hollib, now that you've created a CB map from scratch and are probably very familiar with the what is necessary to do this, is it possible to simply take another map, perhaps an Onslaught map, and turn it into a clone bandits map? There are certainly a few maps that come with the original game on which it would be cool to play CB.

hollib

Registered Bandit
Aug 6, 2004
lübeck, germany.
double9s said:
The new map is pretty cool and I've been having fun on it, but no one has answered my initial question about the ability to build maps. hollib, now that you've created a CB map from scratch and are probably very familiar with the what is necessary to do this, is it possible to simply take another map, perhaps an Onslaught map, and turn it into a clone bandits map? There are certainly a few maps that come with the original game on which it would be cool to play CB.
hi double9s,
short in time, got troubles with the map and / or the server.
sure you could do that, just ask the mappers for permission using their maps.
in the map levelproperties > levelinfo > defaultgametype
change game type to Clones.ClonesGame,
remove all ons related stuff from the map,
put in clone pumps and jars and cb vehicles and off you go!

just saw you mean original maps came with the game,
so then i think you can use them without asking?!

Last edited:

Jason[Demiurge]

Level Designer
Sorry about our slow replies on our end. We’ve got a lot going on, including a couple of new maps that are nearing completion!

So about the converting ONS maps. It can be done relatively easily. I spent a little under a day roughly converting Torlan to be a Clone Bandits map, and it didn’t really play all that well. Since it’s designed for stock UT2004 vehicles and not the zany antics and Clone Banditry, the paths from one base to the other aren’t really relevant anymore replacing the base turrets with bertha turrets requires a little more attention to placement and the same goes for replacing the nodes with pumps. Also it’s far from being in the Clone Bandits style. To totally fix up the Onslaught maps for Clone Bandits would require more attention and reworking of the maps, and they would still be lacking in the style that our mod is “dripping” in. So we’ve opted to spend our time making some new maps with the same art set (to speed things up).

The hold up on the new maps is due to there being bugs that are much more apparent in one of the new maps. We want to squash those bugs first and release the new maps with a patch. Be assured though that new maps are on the way!

Thanks everyone for the continued interest and patience

Oh, and nice work on the map hollib. It looks like a great start. Thanks for helping out and working on putting another map out there.

War Chicken

Hi, Ive just redone the map "CTF-FaceClassic.ut2" to "CLN-FaceClassic.ut2" added a Pump in the middle and exchanged the Flagbases with CloneSpawners. Added some Clonebandits Vehicles and thats it. I made this for just having another map to Play CB in. If anyone is interestet - let me know :)

hollib

Registered Bandit
Aug 6, 2004
lübeck, germany.

War Chicken said:
Hi, Ive just redone the map "CTF-FaceClassic.ut2" to "CLN-FaceClassic.ut2" added a Pump in the middle and exchanged the Flagbases with CloneSpawners. Added some Clonebandits Vehicles and thats it. I made this for just having another map to Play CB in. If anyone is interestet - let me know :)

Thats great news, things are movin.
Sure every bandit is interested, leave a link here! :)
hollib

Screech

Jul 11, 2004
Always interested in new CLN-B maps, I am :D

If you need a place to upload of course, just scroll up :lol:

Of course the little time i have for gaming will be spent on hollib's maps :lol: but you never know, i might catch a break... ;)

War Chicken

Well, I dont have a HP, so it isnt online at the moment.
Further, i've got a problem with the radar map. I'll try to fix it, and If I fail, I will disable it, or leave the radar map blanc - Face isn't so big that you need a radar map anyway. I'll upload it as soon as it is corrected to the link above.
Tomorrow evening in worst case (10th of September)

OK, I have a problem...
The Radar map doesnt work, cos' The Map isn't built around the Middle of the Map (0-0-0). Resizing Radarmap doesnt work - it shows only the half of the Radar picture - regardless of which radar scale I choose. So I disabled it - It showed the map even i disabled it...
So i thought - lets do the hard work and recenter the whole map.
I selected all actors and moved that whole stuff around the zeropoint - rebuilt it - looked fine. I tested it and everything was messed up - well it all looked good, but i couldnt go very far until my player hit an invisible obstacle. I tried this 4 or 5 lifes, but it was all the same, so i left the testing and looked into the editor again - no blocking volumes, no invisible walls.
So goddamn...

Can anybody help me with this problem, i don't know what to do...
Maybe I should convert an onslaught map - Onslaught maps have to be centered to work well...

Last edited:

Screech

Jul 11, 2004
War Chicken said:
Well, I dont have a HP, so it isnt online at the moment.
Further, i've got a problem with the radar map. I'll try to fix it, and If I fail, I will disable it, or leave the radar map blanc - Face isn't so big that you need a radar map anyway. I'll upload it as soon as it is corrected to the link above.
Tomorrow evening in worst case (10th of September)

OK, I have a problem...
The Radar map doesnt work, cos' The Map isn't built around the Middle of the Map (0-0-0). Resizing Radarmap doesnt work - it shows only the half of the Radar picture - regardless of which radar scale I choose. So I disabled it - It showed the map even i disabled it...
So i thought - lets do the hard work and recenter the whole map.
I selected all actors and moved that whole stuff around the zeropoint - rebuilt it - looked fine. I tested it and everything was messed up - well it all looked good, but i couldnt go very far until my player hit an invisible obstacle. I tried this 4 or 5 lifes, but it was all the same, so i left the testing and looked into the editor again - no blocking volumes, no invisible walls.
So goddamn...

Can anybody help me with this problem, i don't know what to do...
Maybe I should convert an onslaught map - Onslaught maps have to be centered to work well...

You can upload without perfecting the radarmap, ie upload as a beta ;) As you said, face doesn't really necessitate the radarmap anyway.

As for your problem, Hollib I think might know the answer because I think he had this same problem on mingowar, but now the radarmap is fine on that.

screech

War Chicken

Wah ?
Seems like everything goes wrong...
The Upload site "http://games.trybalink.net/upmap.php" tells me, after filling all fields, pressing the submit button and waiting 3 minutes "server could not be found (IE) or "Document is empty" (Mozilla). Is the map uploaded ? Is the upload damaged ? Whats happened ?