PDA

View Full Version : Easily create CB maps?

double9s
5th Aug 2004, 01:40 PM
So I was looking through the map tutorial (because CB is fantastic and if no one else will build maps for me, I might just try it myself) and I have what might be a stupid question. Ok, the last time i used UnrealED was back in Unreal 1 and that was just playin around so I don't have a good knowledge base. But from what i picked up from the CB tutorial it seems like you just need things like a clone jar holder and pumps and stuff like that specific to CB. My question is, couldn't you open up some Onslaught map from the original UT2K4, add the necessary stuff for CB, save it accordingly, and then play it? I would imagine that if that's possible, someone could easily make a couple quick levels. I know they don't have the style or "wicked awesomeness" of the real CB map, but it would atleast hold us over until some real maps show up, right?

Please, someone find a way to have more maps. This mod is dripping with style. It's incredible.

hollib
6th Aug 2004, 03:51 PM
:-) where could i upload a clone bandits map?(betatesting but playable)
need some feedback, comments, so i can see what to do next.

double9s
6th Aug 2004, 03:53 PM
:-) where could i upload a clone bandits map?(betatesting but playable)
need some feedback, comments, so i can see what to do next.

I don't know but when you do, let me know. I need some new content.

Screech
7th Aug 2004, 02:25 AM
upload your stuff here.....

http://games.trybalink.net/upmap.php

can't wait to play more maps :D :)

Screech
9th Aug 2004, 06:03 PM
alright hollib's (beta) map is up now, http://games.trybalink.net/files/Maps/CLN-mingowar08.zip thats the download link

its fun :) granted it still needs some work but its still cool

Screech
10th Aug 2004, 03:09 PM
alright, now for a link that works :D (the other one led to a map with, um., music problems....) http://games.trybalink.net go to maps and it is called "mingowar.zip" it comes with one of the songs in CBmix that you have to put in your music directory

I am hosting a dedicated server on linux, trying to get it worked out right now.

hollib
10th Aug 2004, 05:36 PM
wohah, one server is up, big thanks for that work.

double9s
12th Aug 2004, 09:24 AM
The new map is pretty cool and I've been having fun on it, but no one has answered my initial question about the ability to build maps. hollib, now that you've created a CB map from scratch and are probably very familiar with the what is necessary to do this, is it possible to simply take another map, perhaps an Onslaught map, and turn it into a clone bandits map? There are certainly a few maps that come with the original game on which it would be cool to play CB.

hollib
12th Aug 2004, 10:23 AM
The new map is pretty cool and I've been having fun on it, but no one has answered my initial question about the ability to build maps. hollib, now that you've created a CB map from scratch and are probably very familiar with the what is necessary to do this, is it possible to simply take another map, perhaps an Onslaught map, and turn it into a clone bandits map? There are certainly a few maps that come with the original game on which it would be cool to play CB.
hi double9s,
short in time, got troubles with the map and / or the server.
sure you could do that, just ask the mappers for permission using their maps.
in the map levelproperties > levelinfo > defaultgametype
change game type to Clones.ClonesGame,
remove all ons related stuff from the map,
put in clone pumps and jars and cb vehicles and off you go!

just saw you mean original maps came with the game,
so then i think you can use them without asking?!

Jason[Demiurge]
12th Aug 2004, 01:02 PM
Sorry about our slow replies on our end. We’ve got a lot going on, including a couple of new maps that are nearing completion!

So about the converting ONS maps. It can be done relatively easily. I spent a little under a day roughly converting Torlan to be a Clone Bandits map, and it didn’t really play all that well. Since it’s designed for stock UT2004 vehicles and not the zany antics and Clone Banditry, the paths from one base to the other aren’t really relevant anymore replacing the base turrets with bertha turrets requires a little more attention to placement and the same goes for replacing the nodes with pumps. Also it’s far from being in the Clone Bandits style. To totally fix up the Onslaught maps for Clone Bandits would require more attention and reworking of the maps, and they would still be lacking in the style that our mod is “dripping” in. So we’ve opted to spend our time making some new maps with the same art set (to speed things up).

The hold up on the new maps is due to there being bugs that are much more apparent in one of the new maps. We want to squash those bugs first and release the new maps with a patch. Be assured though that new maps are on the way!

Thanks everyone for the continued interest and patience

Oh, and nice work on the map hollib. It looks like a great start. Thanks for helping out and working on putting another map out there.

hollib
1st Sep 2004, 07:49 PM
Testing finished, sure not catched the last bugs around,
but now it is 99% finished,
gameplay ok, so why not release.

the page with the map on it
http://www.travedsl.de/~hollib/

the map itself
http://www.travedsl.de/~hollib/mtlast.rar

and cravensmythes server
ut2004://cravensmythe.game-server.cc:7777/

Report any bugs to hollib at this forum please.

hollib

all links outdated.

War Chicken
8th Sep 2004, 06:28 AM
Hi, Ive just redone the map "CTF-FaceClassic.ut2" to "CLN-FaceClassic.ut2" added a Pump in the middle and exchanged the Flagbases with CloneSpawners. Added some Clonebandits Vehicles and thats it. I made this for just having another map to Play CB in. If anyone is interestet - let me know :)

hollib
8th Sep 2004, 11:09 AM
Hi, Ive just redone the map "CTF-FaceClassic.ut2" to "CLN-FaceClassic.ut2" added a Pump in the middle and exchanged the Flagbases with CloneSpawners. Added some Clonebandits Vehicles and thats it. I made this for just having another map to Play CB in. If anyone is interestet - let me know :)

Thats great news, things are movin.
Sure every bandit is interested, leave a link here! :)
hollib

Screech
8th Sep 2004, 10:40 PM
Always interested in new CLN-B maps, I am :D

If you need a place to upload of course, just scroll up :lol:

Of course the little time i have for gaming will be spent on hollib's maps :lol: but you never know, i might catch a break... ;)

War Chicken
9th Sep 2004, 07:39 AM
Well, I dont have a HP, so it isnt online at the moment.
Further, i've got a problem with the radar map. I'll try to fix it, and If I fail, I will disable it, or leave the radar map blanc - Face isn't so big that you need a radar map anyway. I'll upload it as soon as it is corrected to the link above.
Tomorrow evening in worst case (10th of September)

OK, I have a problem...
The Radar map doesnt work, cos' The Map isn't built around the Middle of the Map (0-0-0). Resizing Radarmap doesnt work - it shows only the half of the Radar picture - regardless of which radar scale I choose. So I disabled it - It showed the map even i disabled it...
So i thought - lets do the hard work and recenter the whole map.
I selected all actors and moved that whole stuff around the zeropoint - rebuilt it - looked fine. I tested it and everything was messed up - well it all looked good, but i couldnt go very far until my player hit an invisible obstacle. I tried this 4 or 5 lifes, but it was all the same, so i left the testing and looked into the editor again - no blocking volumes, no invisible walls.
So goddamn...

Can anybody help me with this problem, i don't know what to do...
Maybe I should convert an onslaught map - Onslaught maps have to be centered to work well...

Screech
9th Sep 2004, 05:22 PM
Well, I dont have a HP, so it isnt online at the moment.
Further, i've got a problem with the radar map. I'll try to fix it, and If I fail, I will disable it, or leave the radar map blanc - Face isn't so big that you need a radar map anyway. I'll upload it as soon as it is corrected to the link above.
Tomorrow evening in worst case (10th of September)

OK, I have a problem...
The Radar map doesnt work, cos' The Map isn't built around the Middle of the Map (0-0-0). Resizing Radarmap doesnt work - it shows only the half of the Radar picture - regardless of which radar scale I choose. So I disabled it - It showed the map even i disabled it...
So i thought - lets do the hard work and recenter the whole map.
I selected all actors and moved that whole stuff around the zeropoint - rebuilt it - looked fine. I tested it and everything was messed up - well it all looked good, but i couldnt go very far until my player hit an invisible obstacle. I tried this 4 or 5 lifes, but it was all the same, so i left the testing and looked into the editor again - no blocking volumes, no invisible walls.
So goddamn...

Can anybody help me with this problem, i don't know what to do...
Maybe I should convert an onslaught map - Onslaught maps have to be centered to work well...

You can upload without perfecting the radarmap, ie upload as a beta ;) As you said, face doesn't really necessitate the radarmap anyway.

As for your problem, Hollib I think might know the answer because I think he had this same problem on mingowar, but now the radarmap is fine on that.

screech

Screech
9th Sep 2004, 09:11 PM
cravensmythe can you clean out your inbox? :lol:

cravensmythe
10th Sep 2004, 02:50 AM
All clean :lol:

War Chicken
10th Sep 2004, 07:00 AM
Wah ?
Seems like everything goes wrong...
The Upload site "http://games.trybalink.net/upmap.php" tells me, after filling all fields, pressing the submit button and waiting 3 minutes "server could not be found (IE) or "Document is empty" (Mozilla). Is the map uploaded ? Is the upload damaged ? Whats happened ?

Screech
10th Sep 2004, 08:34 AM
I have no idea..... :eek: :mad: :(

I guess you should try somewhere/something else......

War Chicken
10th Sep 2004, 08:42 AM
How about I send the map to someone by eMail or ICQ ?
Screech, i cant send you an eMail - youve disabled the option, but how is it about someone else ? I would even tell you guys my ICQ# VIA personal message or sumthing like that, just to get this thing done :). CB needs MAPS !

Screech
10th Sep 2004, 06:52 PM
alright, here goes the HELLO SPAMBOTS COME GET MY E-MAIL message :lol:

alright, my email is the following except there are no spaces and the -a- is @ (i don't want the spambots to find me).

m ik e f l ca -a- n e t sc a p e. n e t

please compress before sending, as I do not have much room. :)

War Chicken
10th Sep 2004, 07:20 PM
damnit, this wont work via eMail. my traffic is limited to 4MB per eMail... I'll send you my ICQ# via PM... hope you have ICQ...

Screech
10th Sep 2004, 11:49 PM
hollib, here's a picture of what i meant by putting a grate or something where the clone jar was.

I hope the attachment works.

er yeah, I can't use trybalink either, it crashes on me, I will have to ask by brother to fix it...... :( otherwise i would upload to there

hollib
11th Sep 2004, 03:59 AM
hollib, here's a picture of what i meant by putting a grate or something where the clone jar was.

I hope the attachment works.

er yeah, I can't use trybalink either, it crashes on me, I will have to ask by brother to fix it...... :( otherwise i would upload to there

Yes, now got what you mean. Looks better that way!
hollib

Screech
11th Sep 2004, 11:57 AM
I like that a lot better :) However, my main issue with it is that there is no hole in the ground or anything like that that the steam and clones would be coming out of........I had something more like this screenshot in mind: (I put this together using the default staticmeshactor from deathvalley, or whatever it is called) :

Also, is there any way to put that yellow ring a tad lower in the ground? I hate getting my barracuda stuck in it :lol:

screech

cravensmythe
11th Sep 2004, 03:10 PM
Screech I checked your first drawing and noticed you had missed the following detail

Drawing by Screech age 8

:lol:

Screech
11th Sep 2004, 07:19 PM
Hey, I never said i was a good artist...... :lol:

Screech
11th Sep 2004, 07:41 PM
Alrigh hollib, I got the new one and played it and i like the new look a lot, but I stand by what i said earlier.....I think it would look better if you used that circular staticmesh thing from deathvalley instead....Here's what i mean:

The picture on the left is the way it is now, and the picture on the right is how I think it should look.

Also, I thought for a second that things looked a tad off center, but thenm that doesn't really matter, And i don't know, maybe i was just imagining it.

for those of you outside the loop ( :p) cravensmythe, deke, hollib and I played on this new map hollib is working on, 3 on 3 (1 bot each team), and it played great :) :) It'sprobably almost done, jus a few things to straighten out (like the clone jars :lol: )

hollib
11th Sep 2004, 08:43 PM
zabriskipoint view.

Screech
11th Sep 2004, 10:02 PM
So the name is now zabriskipoint? :lol: sounds cool, I can't wait until this is finished so we can all play on it :)

right now I am hosting CLN-faceclassic on linux just for the hell of it, but I'm not sure if it will download from my server correctly. In fact I'm almost sure it will not. However trybalink should be working now (there was a problem with who had what priveliges etc) so you may want to try uploading that map again.

screech

edit: the upload still doesn't work. :( On another note, there's gotta be some way to get that map smaller.....

edit again: not hosting anymore.

cravensmythe
12th Sep 2004, 05:20 AM
I like any of the last few suggestions

Screech do you have a bit of a pipe fetish?

hollib
12th Sep 2004, 05:43 AM
:lol:

Screech
12th Sep 2004, 09:43 AM
just a cb fetish :) and it doesn't require the use of any "rubbers" ;)

War Chicken
12th Sep 2004, 06:13 PM
That Face-thingy has been just some kind of test. I really think it doesn't have the style and feeling of CB. The only Standart map that might suit CB is ONS-RedPlanet when theres some trash addet... maybe. I'm working on a completely new map now. This is for me my debut for a compley map... really hope it will be good :)

ah, screech... for what map do you want that musicfile you showed me ?

Screech
12th Sep 2004, 07:17 PM
the one (or ones ;) ) that hollib is working on, canyonero (daytime) and zabriskipoint (nighttime). They will probably be released soon........however if you want some screenshots.... **coug**Deke **cough** Or maybe i can put some up later.

screech

Screech
12th Sep 2004, 07:52 PM
here's a few:

the first one is a view of (part of) canyonero, the second one is a little nitrous i got jumping off one of the many hills, and the third is (a part of) (still in development?) zabriskipoint.

screech (AKA Mr.PipeFetish :rolleyes: :o )

War Chicken
13th Sep 2004, 01:12 AM
Yeah, looks great. Can't be too much maps :) and it looks fine !
Damn, I wantet to add some roads to my map like in death valley, but they're 2 fixed big static meshes, and no UT standard map has nice roads... wantet to rip some from postal2 but when i try the Ued gets killed :(

...uh... FIFTEEN NITROUS ?????!?!?!!!?!?!???

Dracarys
13th Sep 2004, 10:17 PM
Cravensmythe, your server is password protected :( . I soo want to try the new maps, but I can't with that like that. Please, unlock it!

cravensmythe
14th Sep 2004, 05:45 AM
Screech

15 nitrous pah 16 nitrous is what you want ;)

War Chicken
14th Sep 2004, 06:01 AM
uhm my highest has been 9 :(
Hey, where do I find the new maps ??!?

hollib
14th Sep 2004, 06:05 AM
uhm my highest has been 9 :(
Hey, where do I find the new maps ??!?
Beta state, not released yet, sorry.
hollib

hollib
14th Sep 2004, 06:13 AM
This is what i get with fluxcompensator enabled,
do not brake cravensmythe! :)

cravensmythe
14th Sep 2004, 06:39 AM
But you have been getting practice on the autobahn :lol:

cravensmythe
14th Sep 2004, 09:04 AM
I got a 20 nitrous reward but the screen shot didnt show it here is a 17

Anyone got any better?

cravensmythe
14th Sep 2004, 07:32 PM
Dracarys

All the passwords have been lifted, and the map pack is released see the announcements section of this forum for details

Dracarys
17th Sep 2004, 09:30 PM
hurm, what's fluxcapicitor, or was that a joke? did you gimp that image? I mean, 166 nitros....

hollib
17th Sep 2004, 09:53 PM
hurm, what's fluxcapicitor, or was that a joke? did you gimp that image? I mean, 166 nitros....

Never gimp images, ya must try harder.
Or you buy yourself the 12" nitro-enabled-fluxcompensator.
And yes, its a joke and gimp is a fine proggi.
hollib

War Chicken
22nd Sep 2004, 04:16 AM
So, I'm back. Have been in france this weekend for some serious Paintball hittin :) so the mappack is out ? lets see...

So. Looks and plays great. The Maps are great for jumping !
The second one (Zabriskipoint?) is a bit too dark. I had some real trouble navigating on the map, cos i've seen to few :rolleyes:
But after playing some time and getting known to the map, it has been great. so probably just give some more light. maybe 30 or 40 brightness-points in UEd.

hollib
23rd Sep 2004, 08:22 PM
So, I'm back. Have been in france this weekend for some serious Paintball hittin :) so the mappack is out ? lets see...

So. Looks and plays great. The Maps are great for jumping !
The second one (Zabriskipoint?) is a bit too dark. I had some real trouble navigating on the map, cos i've seen to few :rolleyes:
But after playing some time and getting known to the map, it has been great. so probably just give some more light. maybe 30 or 40 brightness-points in UEd.
Welcome back War Chicken! Hope you had a good time! :)

Yes zabriski is real dark, maybe too dark, right.
Worked on that light, setting a tick more light and it looses its night character,
so everybody just dim on your own to what you like it...

Some "work in progress" shots
edit:suggest a name please!

Jason[Demiurge]
23rd Sep 2004, 10:01 PM
edit:suggest a name please!

Hmmmm....

Here are some ideas. Some are certainly better than others, and it's quite possible that none of them are actually good.

CLN-CloneIsle - A tropical wasteland of rusted cars and fruity genetic drinks.

CLN-CloneyIsland - Amusment parks they way they were meant to be.

CLN-BuriedTreasure - Is that gold? No! Even better! it's spare DNA!

CLN-MollyShores - Mommy? what happens to cloned sheep when they die?

CLN-Survivor - I'm going to vote you off this island with my Moscowboy.

CLN-Cabana - Cabana boy! Bring me my Margarita.

Ok, I'll stop now. Hopefully one of these names will actually inspire a really good name. :)

Screech
23rd Sep 2004, 10:31 PM
They are all good names (a lot better than anything I could thionk up myself hehe). I think CLN-cloneyisland is the best name :D :tup: Survivor is also very good.

War Chicken
24th Sep 2004, 04:37 PM
Woohoo, looks great. Can't await lying beachside on my lounge tank drinking a cool beer and kicking some blue butts :)

cravensmythe
28th Sep 2004, 04:02 PM
Woohoo, looks great. Can't await lying beachside on my lounge tank drinking a cool beer and kicking some blue butts :)

Jason you stole my name idea CLN-CloneIsland :lol: does changing my undocumented name suggestion to CLN-ClonePool count?

War Chicken
3rd Oct 2004, 05:25 AM
I have to tell you guys, that I'll be f**king busy in the next Month and so I'll have almost noi time for mapping and playing and stuff. But I will not give up work and continue as soon as I have some time to again.

hollib
11th Oct 2004, 05:04 PM
Still working at the MollyShores map.
Changed conception...
There will be a complete suburban level below the island.
hollib :)

hollib
15th Oct 2004, 03:49 PM
Still working at the MollyShores map.
Changed conception...
There will be a complete suburban level below the island.
hollib :)

CLN-Clonesinvalarna conversion by *hollib*
original ONS-VALARNA ECE done by Frank'Noz'Bakker!
This will go in the BCU-Mappack2 together
with CLN-MollyShores.
hollib. :)

ONS-Valarna ECE link
http://www.unrealplayground.com/maps.php?mapid=7475

more screenshots...
http://people.freenet.de/walkonwater/

hollib
31st Oct 2004, 05:12 PM
screenshots genetic islands... (http://people.freenet.de/walkonwater/genetic.html)

War Chicken
9th Nov 2004, 07:21 AM
So... lastet a bit longer, but I'm back :)... uhm, seems like this forum has completely moved to clones united... so will I :) CU

hollib
9th Nov 2004, 11:46 AM
So... lastet a bit longer, but I'm back :)... uhm, seems like this forum has completely moved to clones united... so will I :) CU
yup, been a long time!
we are allways here, clones united is just the beta testing department
for the community maps.