PDA

View Full Version : Can you convert MIDI music files to UMX?

Cammy
4th Aug 2004, 04:00 AM
Some of the very old PC games (such as Heretic) have music in the form of MIDI files. I'd love to convert some of those into .umx files to play in Unreal or UT. Is it possible, and if so how?

FireSlash
4th Aug 2004, 07:47 AM
Yes and no.

If you download Modplug Tracker, it can open MIDi files (Then just save them as .s3m or something), but it won't sound the same. Modplug will pull samples out of GM.DLS to come close to what MIDI sounds like using DirectMusic, but its still not quite right since the formats are quite a bit different.

You can try though. http://www.modplug.com/

Cammy
4th Aug 2004, 08:11 AM
Thanx! :tup:

unnamednewbie13
15th Nov 2004, 03:03 AM
Some of the very old PC games (such as Heretic) have music in the form of MIDI files. I'd love to convert some of those into .umx files to play in Unreal or UT. Is it possible, and if so how?

The best way to port over MIDI files is to simply...record them. It can even be done on something as simple as sound recorder [though I recommend something better, like Adobe Audition (CoolEdit Pro) or just Creative's Wave Studio.] No mics needed, it just simply copies what's being sent to your speakers. The only hard part might be finding an old sound card to play the old MIDI's off of, the way they're MEANT to be heard.