Will I have to reinstall Windows after getting a new motherboard?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dead_Hood

The Seventh Sign
Apr 24, 2001
123 Fake Street
You don't have to, but I think most of us would agree that you would be a fool not to. I always format after changing a major piece of hardware like a mobo or a processor.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
This is an excellent question. A friend of mine carried out the experiment with Windows 98 SE and there was no problem whatsoever. The OS was able to function and detect the components and was running fine. He did eventually reinstall after a few months.

If you have Windows 2000, however, I'd advise reinstalling as it sometimes has problems with hardware changes. As for XP, I imagine it would work as well as Win 98 although I think a clean reinstall is good idea anyway. In future, if you haven't done so already, separate your hard drive into two partitions with the first one being used for Windows and applications. This will avoid some unnecessary hassle when it comes to reinstalling your OS.

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
a CPU swap, no you don`t need to at all, a MB swap, if it`s the same chipset, then maybe no, but I would anyway....if it`s a diffrent chipset, then yes reformat and reload windows.

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
Depends on the OS. If you're running Windows XP, from my own experience you will definately have to reinstall. XP will make you.

DeDpoet|BuF

Only this, & nothing more...
Dec 6, 2001
Mularn
Visit site
i personally have always done a reinstall when replacing the mobo. Theoretically, I guess you could remove all mobo related drivers and then put in the new one and install its drivers. BUT, I'm not as knowledgeable for that as I'd like to be (i.e. going through registry and systems folder to ensure all mobo related drivers are cleaned out).

I'd recommend doing a fresh install of windows. Remember, you don't have to wipe your HDD tho. I've usually wiped the windows directory, renamed the program files directory, and done a fresh install. It's a bit more convenient that way.

Kaligraphic

Charles leChaud is my hero
Oct 22, 2002
Everywhere.
www.google.com
I've gone through swapping out the mobo drivers with win95, and I'd say, save yourself the hassle. It's actually faster to reinstall, and you can watch tv or something while it works.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
For XP/2000, I would definitely reinstall if changing MBs or video cards. For Win98SE, it's a toss up with same chipset MBs. I've had one person use the same chipset and have problems, so he had to reinstall. But I gave a Gigabyte 440BX MB to a friend and he switched it out with a Shuttle 440BX (or at least another 440BX if I remember) and had no problems.

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
DeDpoet|BuF said:
I am NOT going to reinstall windows if I upgrade my video card!
If you`re going from an ATI to a Nvidia or the other way around, you really should. If you`re staying with the same brand VC, then you don`t need to at all.