PDA

View Full Version : Idea for the HUD colors

Rooster128
31st Jul 2004, 10:34 PM
I tried explaining this a bit on IRC, but here it goes here...

As you all may know, Spec has already created a lovely hud, very lovely indeed. But we have been having a debate lately of what color (oh my!) it should be.

My idea is that a color texture should be applied to the hud, depending on the type of camo for the armor your wearing, so the hud keeps with the unified theme.

Also, the camo textures could also very slowly move around in random loopity loops, like a scrolling texture. with this applied right, i think it would look really awesome. I mean come on, who else does this kinda thing with their huds?

Coloring the text with the camo texture is up to you. I would think it better if the color for the text would be one color, a bright brighter than the hud, but still keeping appropriate with the color scheme.

Here is the general idea of what I mean (the camo is not final):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Rooster128/Hud_urban.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Rooster128/Hud_jungle.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Rooster128/Hud_desert.jpg

I couldn't remember the last theme, so I just made 3. Now imagine is that camo was moving. :)

If my idea isn't clear, think back the way the borders of the NWN screens look like (if you've seen the same, that is).

slobo04
1st Aug 2004, 05:30 AM
I tried explaining this a bit on IRC, but here it goes here...

As you all may know, Spec has already created a lovely hud, very lovely indeed. But we have been having a debate lately of what color (oh my!) it should be.

My idea is that a color texture should be applied to the hud, depending on the type of camo for the armor your wearing, so the hud keeps with the unified theme.

Also, the camo textures could also very slowly move around in random loopity loops, like a scrolling texture. with this applied right, i think it would look really awesome. I mean come on, who else does this kinda thing with their huds?

Coloring the text with the camo texture is up to you. I would think it better if the color for the text would be one color, a bright brighter than the hud, but still keeping appropriate with the color scheme.

Here is the general idea of what I mean (the camo is not final):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Rooster128/Hud_urban.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Rooster128/Hud_jungle.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Rooster128/Hud_desert.jpg

I couldn't remember the last theme, so I just made 3. Now imagine is that camo was moving. :)

If my idea isn't clear, think back the way the borders of the NWN screens look like (if you've seen the same, that is).

thers a reason other people dont do it... unless u could pull it off in a subtle way...

Rooster128
1st Aug 2004, 10:47 AM
Gosh Slobo, you really explained yourself there.

Could you perhaps explain what you mean?

Rooster128
1st Aug 2004, 11:56 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Rooster128/jungle_hud_ani.gif

Made this to help visualize what moving camo might look like...

Thejackal
1st Aug 2004, 12:09 PM
bit smoother and not so fast, otherwise *humps it to death* :2thumb:

Eizo
1st Aug 2004, 12:47 PM
mabye people can decide their own hud colours?

Rooster128
1st Aug 2004, 04:15 PM
hurm... you mean chose a solid color, or a camo-color?

I was just thinking of an idea, that when you die your HUD starts to flicker and then dies (not completely, just goes dark/translucent) and then when you respawn it flickers back to life again, with appropriate sound effects...

slobo04
1st Aug 2004, 06:38 PM
i think its too much... too much of a distraction... when i said subtle i meant like 10% opacity over a solid NORMAL HUD... IF THAT.

Seng
1st Aug 2004, 07:46 PM
I suggested this before, back when we were doing the first few rounds of hud design. How about have it user adjustable. Maybe have presets for the general camo types, but if the user wants to change it, they can. That way everyone is happy.

Rooster128
1st Aug 2004, 08:32 PM
good idea seng... i say we try something like this out during a pre-beta or something, see how people like the options

spec_x
1st Aug 2004, 11:06 PM
rooster, having an animated texture for the hud is not worth the work that would have to be put into it. I think it's a fine idea, but a hud is only made to show information, slobo is right that it would be more of a distraction. Having the color customizable would be alright to do, but we'll have to see what kind of time there is to do that, it's cool and all, but right now I don't think it's really as important as a lot of other things on the to-do list, this can always be considered for a later build, but the hud isn't even finished as far as some of the code and tweaking the images/layout etc. I will keep all this in mind though cause I've thought about it myself and what I'd like to do. We shall see :)

DA|aBsOlUt
2nd Aug 2004, 04:09 AM
Spec lets talk about code too

Rooster128
2nd Aug 2004, 07:27 AM
So confused... lol...

You're right, animation isn't important. My big thing was the camo itself though.

{UFF}HAMMERSTIEN
2nd Aug 2004, 08:52 AM
i think it should be pink with daisys in the corners

DA|Dante
2nd Aug 2004, 02:50 PM
I don't think a hud which animates all time is useful. I think it can actually get quite annoying after watching it a while.

Rooster128
2nd Aug 2004, 02:59 PM
well then you have tourettes. easily put. next patient?

spec_x
2nd Aug 2004, 03:06 PM
what the hell are you talking about rooster?

Anyways, I talked to abs earlier and we decided that I'm going to make the colors of the hud user chosen like UT has it now, but I'll have a default probably set to the red. I'll probably have the hud finshed up, tweaked, and coded in by the end of the week probably, depends on how smoothly my work on my map goes the rest of the week

DA|Dante
2nd Aug 2004, 05:16 PM
First learn of what you're talking about and then post nonsense.

Eizo
3rd Aug 2004, 06:26 AM

what the hell is your problem mate?

Jig
3rd Aug 2004, 02:37 PM
I think it would be too distracting. It would be good to have a camo-tex one for each player-camo and a custom color-tex. The custom one can be changed to every color the player wants, just as in normal UT.

Dark^
11th Oct 2005, 02:38 PM
Congrats with the mod guys, was quite impressed when i jumped on it, cant wait for more maps! Very nice for a beta!!

With the hud colour thingy, i think you should leave it as it is for the defenders but change it for when your on the attacking team. Just keep it simple and have it the same colour the chat text is, red for defenders, blue for attackers. Keeps it simple and would look good too.

DA|aBsOlUt
11th Oct 2005, 02:41 PM
new hud is coming up to help a lot, both sides.

Hunz
12th Oct 2005, 04:59 AM
Hud should only attract ones view if there are important informations on it (like critical health, a new objective and so on). Design-wise I would like to see something in the direction of Republic Commando - to give you the feel that youre actually looking through the visor of your helmet.

rich_zap
12th Oct 2005, 05:20 AM
I myself like a nice open hud so i can get the maximum view out of it. I think the huds general colour scheme should reflect the playerskins colour. Complicated huds annoy me as they give you too much information and take up valuable space, keep it simple so that it will work well at its job which as was said earlier, to give the player info.

DA|Dante
12th Oct 2005, 06:17 AM
I second that.

spec_x
12th Oct 2005, 11:34 AM
indeed

Helioth
12th Oct 2005, 03:15 PM
indubitably.

Dark^
12th Oct 2005, 05:32 PM
undoubtedly