Slighty OT: Ram mixing question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
Okay how bad is it to have 2 different speeds of ram in your system...

I THOUGHT I had 768mb's of pc3200 (400mhz) ram in my compy, a 256 and a 512.

Well after running Sandra, Everest, and CPUZ they have all informed me my 512 is actually a pc2700 (333mhz)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was over a year ago I bought the damn stick and the sticker on it even says pc3200. After googling the numbers on the chips, it seems the programs are quite correct and it is indeed a pc2700 stick! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Is this going to cause any problems?

I did have the presence of mind to change my mem speed in my bios to 333 in case that helps any...

ALso let this be a warning to those in the future... even when ordering from a "reputable" company... CHECK YOUR SH!T!!!!!!

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I would have thought your computer wouldn't have worked... :hmm: Actually, your computer probably isn't using the 256 MB stick if you have the 512 stick in the primary slot.

What company was this you ordered from anyway?

Last edited:

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
I killed one stick of memory and during the RMA was informed the failure was from running the slower stick with the faster stick, that the slower stick accually ran as fast as the fast stick and after a yr or so...it burned up. I never mix memory anymore....you`re just asking for trouble.

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
I have the speed set in my bios to 333 just in case the auto-detect was runnin' em at 400.

I contacted Monarch on the situation and it's a funny thing... all of a sudden they don't have ANY orders in their system with my name on them. I know I've placed at least 3 orders with them in the last 2 1/2 years.

Well.. never again. :)

And Rukee your avatar rules. I have a TMCM zippo lighter :)

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
you think they keep all the records of orders over the last 2.5 years? There's a good chance that if it's after the return date for the item they go ahead and get rid of the information. There's no reason for them to keep the records for over a year. Way too late for them to be held responsible. You could try the manufacturer though. If it's their sticker, it's possible that they will be able to do something.

Last edited:

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
www.unrealannihilation.com
Rukee said:
I killed one stick of memory and during the RMA was informed the failure was from running the slower stick with the faster stick, that the slower stick accually ran as fast as the fast stick and after a yr or so...it burned up. I never mix memory anymore....you`re just asking for trouble.
For this to happen, the slower stick would have lack a SPD chip, or be forced to ru faster by the BIOS (Which won't happen unless you tell it to). Since pretty much all ram since PC133 has come with SPD chips, I wonder if that RMA guy wasn't just full of **** :rolleyes:

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
Clayeth said:
you think they keep all the records of orders over the last 2.5 years? There's a good chance that if it's after the return date for the item they go ahead and get rid of the information. There's no reason for them to keep the records for over a year. Way too late for them to be held responsible. You could try the manufacturer though. If it's their sticker, it's possible that they will be able to do something.

I own a small business, I have to keep my records for a min. of 7 years.

*FireSlash- You`re prolly right.