Different vehicle crosshair while keeping the normal weapon ones?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Thanatos45

Frag-tastic
Mar 19, 2004
Dutchieland
Is it possible to keep the different normal weapon crosshairs while changing the vehicle crosshair? I just changed all my weapons' (including the vehicles) crosshairs into the minigun (my fave) one but that doesn't work really good because I play with hidden weapons, but I can't find a way to do it for just the vehicles as I really don't like that crosshair, it's too inaccurate for me. Anyone knows how to do this? Or should I simply get used to using hidden weapons in combination with just one crosshair (I guess I'll just have to use the HUD to see which weapon I'm holding then but that doesn't work all that good...). TIA.

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
If somebody coud answer this, I'd appreciate it too.

The scorpion's sights desperately needs to be multicoloured to allow targeting nodes accurately.

notherUTnut

yes... i like UT too!
Oct 29, 2004
DIY; Custom Vehicle Crosshairs

if you want to tweak your vehicle's crosshairs, start UnrealEd then open user.ini in the system folder of your UT2004 Directory, as UED takes a bit to load.

Find your favourite vehicle [ie: Onslaught.ONSPRV] and find CrosshairTexture=Texture'ONSInterface-TX.tankBarrelAligned' and change what in the '' to another texture in Crosshairs in the Textures tab in UED.

Its also possible to change the centre crosshair [white Bracket1] to anything else with the same method except goto Engine.HUD --> CrosshairStyle, and type in the index for the crosshair. this is a bit more complicated as you need to the order of crosshairs in the game [ie: Bracket1, Bracket2, Circle1, ...]

Hope that helps somebody.

NB: if you change any crosshair it may look darn ugly, as im having problems with the alignment [the 2370 patch should have supposedly fixed this]

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Wow, I actually learned something...

Ok, here is my relavent to crosshair sections in the User.ini

[Engine.HUD]
bSmallWeaponBar=true
bHideHUD=false
HudOpacity=190
HudScale=0.85
HudCanvasScale=1.000000
bMessageBeep=true
bShowWeaponInfo=true
bShowWeaponBar=True
bShowPersonalInfo=true
bShowPoints=true
bCrosshairShow=True (Must be true, or will over ride all crosshairs and hide them)
bShowPortrait=False
bNoEnemyNames=False
CrosshairScale=1.000000
CrosshairOpacity=1.000000
CrosshairStyle=12
ConsoleMessageCount=5
ConsoleFontSize=5
MessageFontOffset=0
bShowPortraitVC=False
CrossHairColor=(B=255,G=255,R=255,A=0)

//Stuff in the Engine.hud section will only affect the constant vehicle crosshair, and give this crosshair to any weapons that you use "Hidden" crosshair for. I dropped my opacity to 0 here, so there is not constant crosshair on vehicles, and if I actually do hide a crosshair for a weapon, there is no crosshair for that weapon.

[Onslaught.ONSHoverBike] (Manta)
CrossHairColor=(B=255,G=0,R=255,A=255)
CrosshairX=32.000000
CrosshairY=32.000000
CrosshairTexture=Texture'ONSInterface-TX.tankBarrelAligned'
bDesiredBehindView=True
TPCamDistance=350.000000

[Onslaught.ONSRV] (Scorpion)
CrossHairColor=(B=0,G=255,R=0,A=255)
CrosshairX=32.000000
CrosshairY=32.000000
CrosshairTexture=Texture'Crosshairs.HUD.Crosshair_Bracket1'
bDesiredBehindView=True
TPCamDistance=350.000000

[Onslaught.ONSPRV] (Hellbender Driver)
CrossHairColor=(B=0,G=0,R=0,A=0)
CrosshairX=32.000000
CrosshairY=32.000000
bDesiredBehindView=True
TPCamDistance=650.000000

[Onslaught.ONSPRVSideGunPawn] (Hellbender Shock Turret)
CrossHairColor=(B=155,G=0,R=0,A=255)
CrosshairX=32.000000
CrosshairY=32.000000
CrosshairTexture=Texture'Crosshairs.hud.crosshair_circle1'
bDesiredBehindView=False
TPCamDistance=350.000000

[Onslaught.ONSPRVRearGunPawn] (AEnubis's Twin Beams)
CrossHairColor=(B=255,G=255,R=255,A=200)
CrosshairX=32.000000
CrosshairY=32.000000
CrosshairTexture=Texture'Crosshairs.hud.Crosshair_dot'
bDesiredBehindView=False
TPCamDistance=350.000000

[Onslaught.ONSAttackCraft] (Raptor)
CrosshairX=32.000000
CrosshairY=32.000000
bDesiredBehindView=False
TPCamDistance=123.406982

[Onslaught.ONSHoverTank] (Goliath Driver)
CrosshairX=32.000000
CrosshairY=32.000000
CrosshairTexture=Texture'Crosshairs.hud.crosshair_pointer'
bDesiredBehindView=False
TPCamDistance=250.000000

[Onslaught.ONSTankSecondaryTurretPawn] (Goliath Minigun)
CrossHairColor=(B=0,G=0,R=0,A=0)
CrosshairX=32.000000
CrosshairY=32.000000
CrosshairTexture=None
bDesiredBehindView=True
TPCamDistance=50.000000

[OnslaughtFull.ONSMobileAssaultStation] (Leviathan Driver)
CrossHairColor=(B=255,G=0,R=0,A=255)
CrosshairX=32.000000
CrosshairY=32.000000
bDesiredBehindView=False
TPCamDistance=0.000000

[OnslaughtFull.ONSMASSideGunPawn] (Leviathan Side Turret)
CrosshairX=32.000000
CrosshairY=32.000000
bDesiredBehindView=True
TPCamDistance=100.000000

[Onslaught.ONSManualGunPawn] (Stationary Laser Turret)
CrosshairX=32.000000
CrosshairY=32.000000
CrosshairTexture=Texture'Crosshairs.hud.crosshair_cross1'
bDesiredBehindView=True
TPCamDistance=50.000000

//The color and opacity are values of 0-255 (hexadecimal in numeric form) Blue, Green, and Red respectively, the A is opacity, 255 being solid, 1 being as translucent as possible, 0 being invisible. The crosshair texture is where you chance the crosshair that shows up when your vehicle barrel is aligned, and there are no obstructions between your barrel, and what your crosshair is pointing on. The examples above should give you enough info to figure out how to change them to anything in the normal crosshairs, and the ONS crosshairs. If not, as stated above, you can open up unrealed.exe, and in the textures tab, scan through Crosshairs, and ONSInterface-TX for what you want, or your own custom xhair texture files.

Last edited:

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
Massive thanks

I can;t believe that you came up with an answer, and dug this thread up from 3 months ago. Terrific. Targeting with the scorpion in maps with white skyes were impossible. Now it'll be a lot easier. Thanks.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I totally didn't realize something until I read notherUTnut's post. I was trying to figure this out months ago too. I had that stupid white bracket in the middle of all my vehicle xhairs for so long, and didn't know how to change or remove it.

That is all new to me too.

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
Playing with all this now.

Is there a way of using custom crosshairs. I quite like having 2-coloured crosshairs - because they work reguardless of the scenery background.

P.S. I didn't like turning off the default crosshair altogether. You don't know exactly where your tank, for example is aiming at, when the turret is in the process of rotating.

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Yea, after crosshairtexture=texture' use the name of your custom crosshair texture file, a period, then the name of the texture in your custom file.

I don't use a crosshair for a couple weaons, Mini, SG, and used to not have one for AVRiL, and translocator, so I'm pretty used to knowing where it would be. I just had the bad habbit of firing it when it wasn't aligned, so I ditched it.

notherUTnut

yes... i like UT too!
Oct 29, 2004
who knows what the Ball-Launcher's internal name is?...

does anybody know what the internal name for the ball launcher is [ie: the instagib shock rifle's name is XWeapons.ZoomSuperShockRifle]. i really dont like the crosshair that the balllauncher has, all i need is the name. so if anybody knows of it, please reply.

thanks.

oh and, also if anybody knows how to get the minigun turrets crosshairs as it may help with using 2 crosshairs at once.

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
[XWeapons.Balllauncher]

I'll have to check on the minigun turrets.

[edit]At a glance, the minigun turrests look fixed. There is 3 parts to it. One is the zoom indicator, 2 is the Static Crosshair (White Circle1), and the other is the Aligned Crosshair (Green TankBarrelAligned). Neither of them is influenced by the engine.hud.crosshair setting, and no customcrosshair option shows up for it under UT2k4Assault.ASTurret_Minigun. That is where I would try to insert the lines myself (just duplicating the format of the ons ones), but from the nature of it, I don't think that will work.[/edit]

Last edited:

notherUTnut

yes... i like UT too!
Oct 29, 2004
thanks for the name.

you are right with the minigun turrets setup, and i was looking throught the code in UT2K4Assault.u and stumbled on this, bUseSpecialCrosshair [amongst other b* variables], which hopefully will let us change the crosshair (it looks as if changes Circle1).

so i added the line bUseSpecialCrosshair=True to the minigun turret's entry in User.ini and then while i was playing AS-Convoy by myself [no bots and such] in the console i typed:

set ut2k4assault.asturret_minigun crosshairscale 4

...and BANG, i had a 'jinormous crosshair. it looked dam ugly, but still i learnt something. and as it turns out the propersize should be 0.5

feel free try this yourself, the set class variable value works in game for ANYTHING that can be accessed in notepad and many other things.

but beware, the context is very important, as i quickly found-out with crosshair colors [the value argument must be like so: (R=#,G=#,B=#,A=#)]

one more thing, the set console command is saved as long as the game isn't exit/quit 'ed through the console

have fun!