PDA

View Full Version : Addon Idea - Get Out Of Jail Free Card

The_Head
29th Jul 2004, 02:47 PM
I came up with this idea whilst playin Jailbreak online chattin about mutators. Here's how it would work: The get out of jail free card would spawn in a random place in the map were it is picked up. when someone picks it up, when they are next in jail they can choose whether to use it or not to get out of jail. they are then teleported back to there base. Bot support for deciding whether to use it could work from the bot aggresion level. ie more aggressive use it straight away etc. I would try and make it myself, but I don't know how to do it and anyway I'm trying to work on a few maps at the moment. Including a jailbreak map.

Everyone who was on the kokrull jailbreak server at the time thought it would be a good idea and i hope they weren't the only ones.

Tell me what you think and let me know if you know how to/want to make it

Thanks

TheSpoonDog
29th Jul 2004, 07:56 PM
Hehe, that sounds like an awesome idea :)

tarquin
30th Jul 2004, 06:18 AM
I like it :)

To make this we would need:

1.A model of the pickup. I think it would be a good idea to make something in the same sort of general style as the release switch. Maybe we could even use the key model Rev made.
2. some code to spawn it in random places. We can do it like the Relics system in UT :)
3. a HUD icon to tell the player they possess this item
4. a means for them to use it (and something on screen to remind them how to use it). Do Power-ups work in jail? Perhaps we can just use one of the power-up combo moves, like Back-Back-Back-Back.
5. something that detects use, and teleports them home
6. bot support.

You'd have to decide somet rules too:
* when a player is carrying the card, can other players see this?
* how many cards are there? is there only ever one?

The_Head
30th Jul 2004, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the feedback so far:

In reply to Tarquin:

1. Sounds like a great idea
2. Yup. ChaosUT has code like this for randomly spawning GravBelts
3. would definetly need that.
4. You couldn't have b,b,b,b as if you have adrenilane u'd start the regen combo and you might not want to. Is a console command easily done? You could just type in GETMEOUT in the console. for people who do not know this command, when u join/start the game a line of text comes up on the screen sayin what to do.
5. I'm not a coder someone else will have to answer that one.
6. Would be helpfull. lol

A message comes up sayin **** has a get out of jail free card. this could be configurable though. It also shows when you press F1

1 card at a time. when one picks one up another does not respawn untill that one has been used.

Keep coming up with ideas please. especially if you could code this.

Mychaeel
30th Jul 2004, 09:08 AM
What about simply automatically using the "card" when the player is jailed -- somewhat like the way the Redemption relic used to work when you were killed?

Actually, in fact, this is a lot like the redemption relic: Instead of spawning in jail you simply respawn in freedom (with a cool first- and third-person effect at the place where you vanished).

The_Head
30th Jul 2004, 09:21 AM
What about simply automatically using the "card" when the player is jailed -- somewhat like the way the Redemption relic used to work when you were killed?

Actually, in fact, this is a lot like the redemption relic: Instead of spawning in jail you simply respawn in freedom (with a cool first- and third-person effect at the place where you vanished).

That could work, but would you really want to be released straight away if you knew your teammate is 2 seconds from the release switch. It would be a waste of the card. I would prefer it so that you can wait and get out normally and only use it if things are looking bleak.

I definetly would love to see cool effects when you get released. Another thing, I think other players should know when the card has been used so that they know to look for another one.

Mychaeel
30th Jul 2004, 10:27 AM
What if the card was an inventory item like a weapon, could be switched to (and would then visually appear as if held in your hand) and could be activated by pressing "Fire" when selected?

The_Head
30th Jul 2004, 10:30 AM
What if the card was an inventory item like a weapon, could be switched to (and would then visually appear as if held in your hand) and could be activated by pressing "Fire" when selected?

^ Genuis Idea one thing, we would want it to still work with mutaters like IG

Wormbo
30th Jul 2004, 01:13 PM
It's possible to prevent other mutators from touching certain objects, so the IG compatibility shouldn't be a problem.

ZedMaestro
30th Jul 2004, 01:25 PM
The inventory idea where you switch your weapon to it is a good idea... What about the stupid people who would use it outside of jail? If we prevented them switching to it outside jail, n00bs might think "omg i dont have the key". And what if they try to use it in the arena? Hehe, maybe make them llamas for trying to do something lame :)

Powerups do work in jail if you chose this route instead.

RevBillyG
30th Jul 2004, 01:42 PM
A quick'n'dirty 3dmax mock-up

The_Head
30th Jul 2004, 01:46 PM
In reply to wormbo:

Good, i'm glad about that since i only play IG

In reply to ZedMaestro:

You have a good point there. I never though of that. Heres a couple of thought:
1. can't select key outside of jail like you said
2. Can select it and when used turn u into a llama
3. You definetly wouldn't want it too work in an arena. perhaps code it so that if you have a Jail Card you can't do arena matchs

The_Head
30th Jul 2004, 01:53 PM
A quick'n'dirty 3dmax mock-up

It may be quick and dirty but that would be perfect. Needs a better looking emmiter thou IMO. I may be jumping to conclusions here but you weren't thinking of haveing the base aswell were you, because it would look untidy on levels with terrain.

If possible I would love this mod to use that jail card look (that is unless you were planning on making one that wasn't quick and dirty). I like the writing on it too.

tarquin
30th Jul 2004, 02:19 PM
The inventory idea where you switch your weapon to it is a good idea... What about the stupid people who would use it outside of jail? If we prevented them switching to it outside jail, n00bs might think "omg i dont have the key". And what if they try to use it in the arena? Hehe, maybe make them llamas for trying to do something lame :)

I think llamaizing is a bad idea.
Firstly it makes this add-on a lot more complicated (in terms of user interaction).
Second, llamaizing is for cheating. Using the "get out of jail" card when you're not in jail is STOOPID, but it's not cheating.

Using it out of jail could either mean you drop it for someone else to pick up, or it vanishes from your inventory, or you get a mesage saying 'it don't work here', or nothing happens at all.

Jrubzjeknf
30th Jul 2004, 02:27 PM
maybe better: When picking up the get-out-of-jail-free-card (Nova has GTA3 flashback), a little yellow (so you notice better ;)) card shows up in your hud somewhere and behind your nick in the F1-hud (dunno how to call it :P). When pressing 'E' (for as far as I know, you don't use it in JBmaps anyway) when in jail, will teleport you to a playerstart. Optional: Pressing 'E' when out of jail, you'll drop it, so a teammate can use it (throw into jail?). When someone holds a card and the whole team is jailed, the player who holds the card will be forcibly teleported to a playerstart and with 3 sec protection.

The_Head
30th Jul 2004, 02:28 PM
I think llamaizing is a bad idea.
Firstly it makes this add-on a lot more complicated (in terms of user interaction).
Second, llamaizing is for cheating. Using the "get out of jail" card when you're not in jail is STOOPID, but it's not cheating.

Using it out of jail could either mean you drop it for someone else to pick up, or it vanishes from your inventory, or you get a mesage saying 'it don't work here', or nothing happens at all.

your first point is very true, perhaps instead of llama, just make the person who miss-uses the card like like a complete n00b. You could have a message saying something like "****doesn't understand what Get out of Jail means!!"

I reckon being able to drop the card could be a good idea. I've looked at it from both sides. 1: you can drop the card so a better player who is more likely to be usefull outside of jail can use it. 2: this may spoil the point of it being randomly placed in the map. as 1 person could sit and do nothing whilst some1 goes and gets him the card.

RabidZombie
30th Jul 2004, 02:31 PM
I think if they use it at bad time just make em loose it... may be harsh... but it'll make em learn quicker LOL

you could make different settings like you can choose witch meyhod you want... or have em all! to be honest i dont care... as long as it works! Great idea The_Head... i wish i was there... i usually am... dam i have to be busy at the worst time!

The_Head
30th Jul 2004, 02:35 PM
maybe better: When picking up the get-out-of-jail-free-card (Nova has GTA3 flashback), a little yellow (so you notice better ;)) card shows up in your hud somewhere and behind your nick in the F1-hud (dunno how to call it :P). When pressing 'E' (for as far as I know, you don't use it in JBmaps anyway) when in jail, will teleport you to a playerstart. Optional: Pressing 'E' when out of jail, you'll drop it, so a teammate can use it (throw into jail?). When someone holds a card and the whole team is jailed, the player who holds the card will be forcibly teleported to a playerstart and with 3 sec protection.

I'l start by saying where have you been Nova, ain't seen you online for ages. Now back to the thread topic.

Pressin E to get out of jail is a better idea than an extra weapon. I'd advance it to hold it down for a second or something as it can easily be pressed by accident (assuming you use asdw for movement)

Throwing into jail would be interesting, make it take a few seconds to give another player inside jail the card so as to leave them vunreble, problem is how would u throw the card. some jails are'n't next to the map ie JB-nosense (god i hate that map)

I don't agree with last point there mate, :D It should your fault that you forgot to use it, when everyone is captured the card should then be reset.

The_Head
30th Jul 2004, 02:37 PM
I think if they use it at bad time just make em loose it... may be harsh... but it'll make em learn quicker LOL

you could make different settings like you can choose witch meyhod you want... or have em all! to be honest i dont care... as long as it works! Great idea The_Head... i wish i was there... i usually am... dam i have to be busy at the worst time!

:lol: :lol: :lol: LOL AT THE ZOMBIE!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would like to see loads of options but it would just make it harder tomake, take longer to download from a server and confuse stupid people (no offense to stupid people over the world :lol: )

RevBillyG
30th Jul 2004, 04:05 PM
That wasn't an emitter in that pic. It was just me putting a quick effect around the card. Hell, even the map wasnt real (the background) :)

I just pinched that card texture from Monopoly.

The_Head
30th Jul 2004, 04:11 PM
That wasn't an emitter in that pic. It was just me putting a quick effect around the card. Hell, even the map wasnt real (the background)

Seriously? nice? I wish I knew how to do stuff like that. Anyway i really like the idea of just using the card off monopoly, it just looks right

ZedMaestro
30th Jul 2004, 04:18 PM
Using the card by forcing it to be bound to a key could cause complications and annoyances. Every spare keyboard button I have once I've set the necessary keys is used for a taunt or an order etc, so maybe you could implement another Jailbreak control keybind, thru the addon window and/or the normal keybind window.

tarquin
30th Jul 2004, 04:21 PM
I would like to see loads of options but it would just make it harder to make

yup.

The_Head, you CAN'T say something like 'E' because you can't know what key the user has set.
I like Mych's idea. It might mean we need an extra 1st person model though. And there's the matter of 3rd person view too.

Jrubzjeknf
31st Jul 2004, 04:44 AM
I'l start by saying where have you been Nova, ain't seen you online for ages.

I'm sry, Head. Was on a holiday for two weeks. Told it to angel, expected he'd pass on the message <flames darchangel> ;). As to make it up with you, I made a TeamSymbol which you can put up on your server. Mailed angel the info. You can get it at http://www.geocities.com/novaanco/TeamSymbols_kokrull.htm or download from the att. Gotta say I made it purely for server use, so there's no .int involved. Copy two lines from TeamSymbols_UT2003 or soemthing like that, change the texture name to TeamSymbols_kokrull and the logo name to kokrull_blue or kokrull_red (dunno for sure, was 2 weeks ago, you know ;))

Now back to the thread topic.
Good idea :2thumb: :rolleyes:

Some jails aren't next to the map ie JB-nosense (god i hate that map)
You must not look at that, JB-Arlon has glass instead of bars. Wanna give a jailed person the card? Kill yourself and throw it to him when you're in jail. (quick one: you lose relics when you die. Can you easily code that when you die, you won't drop the card?)

I don't agree with last point there mate, :D It should your fault that you forgot to use it, when everyone is captured the card should then be reset.
I also don't agree with your last point there, my friend. When you're the last person and you go to jail, JB automatically triggers the execution. When being the last one, holding the card and getting send to jail, it won't matter whether you have the card or not: execution will be triggered anyway. Using the card while being executed will lock the game. And if you have some n00b not knowing his team already 'lost' and just frags the enemies that are standing still (looking at the execution) and trying to release dead teammates, the match is totally screwed. Forcibly using the GOOJFC (damn that looks weird :B) will prevent the last person (which carries the card) to be send to jail, in order to give losing the team a last chance. Idea or what :cool::tup:

ps. Are these nice to use this as jailbars?

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

:D

The_Head
31st Jul 2004, 05:54 AM
Using the card by forcing it to be bound to a key could cause complications and annoyances. Every spare keyboard button I have once I've set the necessary keys is used for a taunt or an order etc, so maybe you could implement another Jailbreak control keybind, thru the addon window and/or the normal keybind window.
I meant pressing "E" as an example, that is what I would set it as. Also using ASDW is the default controls so it made sense. Having it set up so that you can choose what button would have to be inplemented for people who play with different controls.
The_Head, you CAN'T say something like 'E' because you can't know what key the user has set.
I like Mych's idea. It might mean we need an extra 1st person model though. And there's the matter of 3rd person view too.
Surely it will be easier to code it to a button press. Also I think that adding an extra weapon just for that is pointless. How much bigger is this gonna make the file for example?
Also if your are going to use a new model I reckon it would be much simpler to use a reskinned translocater.
I'm sry, Head. Was on a holiday for two weeks. Told it to angel, expected he'd pass on the message <flames darchangel> . As to make it up with you, I made a TeamSymbol which you can put up on your server. Mailed angel the info. You can get it at http://www.geocities.com/novaanco/T...ols_kokrull.zip or download from the att. Gotta say I made it purely for server use, so there's no .int involved. Copy two lines from TeamSymbols_UT2003 or soemthing like that, change the texture name to TeamSymbols_kokrull and the logo name to kokrull_blue or kokrull_red (dunno for sure, was 2 weeks ago, you know)
No Problems. I'm just looking forwed to owning your ass online.
Thanks for the link, I'l check this as soon as I finish writing this post.
You must not look at that, JB-Arlon has glass instead of bars. Wanna give a jailed person the card? Kill yourself and throw it to him when you're in jail. (quick one: you lose relics when you die. Can you easily code that when you die, you won't drop the card?
I thought people meant it like you could stand outside the jail and throw it to people on the inside.

PS. Nice jailbars, may be tricky to put in a map:lol:

The_Head
31st Jul 2004, 06:05 AM
Just checked the link Nova. The page cannot be found

Jrubzjeknf
31st Jul 2004, 08:37 AM
Just let the gd card respond to the 'Use'-line. Should work.

Own my ass? You'd wish. First two games maybe, but after that I should be my old self again and frag the hell outta you :tup:

The link is: http://www.geocities.com/novaandco/TeamSymbols_kokrull.htm. The old link is correct too, but geocities won't hotlink

Throwing to the inside could be done, but many jailcells don't have that option. Consider if it should be done.

Jailbars can be done quite easily actually, you just gotta know Maya so you can paste the image on the bar. And since I don't know a f*** about Maya, it's gonna be tricky after all :P.

The_Head
31st Jul 2004, 08:41 AM
Own my ass? You'd wish. First two games maybe, but after that I should be my old self again and frag the hell outta you :tup:.
We will see about that won't we. Now if only my pc was working properly.....

The link still is not working for me, could you email them to me?

Throwing to the inside of the jail would be interesting but i don't think it would be worth doing

I'l also point out I was not serious about smiley jailbars

tarquin
31st Jul 2004, 08:44 AM
The nicest thing is to make things Inventory -- but you lose them when you die.

So we'd probably make them Info subclass, unless there's a way to make an inventory non-losable :)

Jrubzjeknf
31st Jul 2004, 08:51 AM
We will see about that won't we. Now if only my pc was working properly.....

The link still is not working for me, could you email them to me?

Throwing to the inside of the jail would be interesting but i don't think it would be worth doing

I'l also point out I was not serious about smiley jailbars

Blaming your pc? Aaah, you can do better than that ;)

link typo again :P: http://www.geocities.com/novaandco/TeamSymbols_kokrull.htm

I wasn't serious about smiley jailbars too........(JB-SmileyCity? :P)

The_Head
31st Jul 2004, 09:48 AM
So you don't believe me that my pc is ****ed. Nothing I can do about that then other than tell you when the pc is on, running no programs the processors temp is 65*C. It should be more like 30*C. Because of the temp as soon as I try a match in UT2004 my pc overheats and freezes. I've tryed lower settings and my processor is performing so badly that I am only getting 20 fps on lower settings (800x600 medium settings) were I would normally get 50fps with full sttings at1024x768. Believe me now?

Thanks for the link, it works this time

JB-SmileyCity. hmmmm, over to you people.... :lol:

Jrubzjeknf
31st Jul 2004, 10:30 AM
65*C degrees? Ever considered putting your pc in the fireplace? :D
Is it screwed up or is your fan pretty much dead....

ps. it's getting OT here.......:P

ps2. I believe ya ;)

The_Head
31st Jul 2004, 12:14 PM
I'm hoping my fans ****ed. It's cheaper that way. lol

Has anyone else got ideas for the Get Out Of Jail Free Card?

RabidZombie
1st Aug 2004, 10:50 AM
Has anyone else got ideas for the Get Out Of Jail Free Card?

well if you like i can get the get out of jail free card out my set and scan it its newer and from the kent edition in england!
i love monopoly....
had a game last nigh with my bro and i was thrashed he had 4000 excluding propertys and houses
i had around 1000 INcluding i was doing well holding up though

as for the get out of jail free card i really dont mind which method you choose to make it usable... as long as it works and www.kokrull.com (the sever) gets it lol

Jrubzjeknf
1st Aug 2004, 01:02 PM
-There's only one
-Forcibly used (look up my previous posts)
-optional (for instagib very useful): Let it respawn somewhere else every 2 seconds. To receive it, you gotta shoot it. This because it's very easy to shoot the guys trying to get it when it's steady for some while.

The_Head
1st Aug 2004, 01:14 PM
-There's only one
Yes definetly only 1 at a time
-Forcibly used (look up my previous posts)
Could work but IMO should be optional. although is it was forced it would save configuring a button to do it or making an extra weapon. Perhaps make it optional?
-optional (for instagib very useful): Let it respawn somewhere else every 2 seconds. To receive it, you gotta shoot it. This because it's very easy to shoot the guys trying to get it when it's steady for some while.
I think moving every 2 seconds would make it way too hard to get. Being shot whilst getting it is good. It makes it a risk to get the card. Anyway if you do go to jail atleast you know you can get straight out, assuming u go to the card in time)
:lol:

Jrubzjeknf
2nd Aug 2004, 09:28 AM
so...are we gonna have a go with it?

The_Head
2nd Aug 2004, 01:44 PM
Yes, if possible. We need to finally decide what rules there are for it, whether they are configurable and what its gonna look like. I would love to see it look like that monopoly card made by RevBillyG. Also some who knows how make it. Because I don't have a slightest clue. lol

Jrubzjeknf
2nd Aug 2004, 01:58 PM
try PMming TheForgotten for coding, RevBollyG for the card

zidane01970
2nd Aug 2004, 10:08 PM
To make it interesting why dont you make a bunch of different pickups like one that gives you temporary speed another for temporary invisibility one for temporary higher jumps and for temporary and of course the get out of jail free card...... we could also call these Items and you can scroll through these items and use them with unused buttons and have it all configurable in the input folder... its sorta like how the artifacts work in ut2004rpg!! the idea works and itll add a little spice to the gameplay(maybe make it so the map creater can make the items random or place them somewhere) Hope you like my idea........ :D :D

And make those hard to get !><!PERMANANT ITEMS!><!<-----(wow that looks like candy lol).......(make them spawn less often)

TheSpoonDog
2nd Aug 2004, 11:04 PM
You mean... adrenaline combos + get out of free card? :)

tarquin
3rd Aug 2004, 03:30 AM
That would overly complicate things -- and adrenaline combos aren't specific to Jailbreak, so it would make more sense to have those in a mutator that you could use with any gametype.

The_Head
3rd Aug 2004, 06:21 AM
Zidane, As much as that sounds like an interesting idea I must say i agree with Spoondog and Tarquin. It would just overcomplicate things. Also if you had read the rest of the forum you would have realised that having a button press wasn't a popular idea except with me, having loads of different buttons to configure would be a pain in the arse.
IMO you couldn't summarise better than Spoondog has.
Also like tarquin said that would be much better as a non jailbreak specific mutater. The whole idea of the GetOutOfJailFreeCard is for a small little mutater for making JailBreak more fun, its not designed for confusing n00bs.

Jrubzjeknf
3rd Aug 2004, 07:45 AM
lol

let's just stick with the get-out-of-jail-free-card. Coding is the final step. First we gotta look how it shows up in Ut2004 (RevBillyG's monopoly card was pretty, but think it can be improved since he just made it real quick). It also gotta show up on your HUD when you have it. Maybe would be nice if it would scream with the GTA3 voice "Get out of jail free card!" when taken/shotten. When we get these things, we'll resume by discussing about rules. Ok with you Head?

The_Head
3rd Aug 2004, 08:09 AM
let's just stick with the get-out-of-jail-free-card. Coding is the final step. First we gotta look how it shows up in Ut2004 (RevBillyG's monopoly card was pretty, but think it can be improved since he just made it real quick). It also gotta show up on your HUD when you have it. Maybe would be nice if it would scream with the GTA3 voice "Get out of jail free card!" when taken/shotten. When we get these things, we'll resume by discussing about rules. Ok with you Head?
I like RevBillyG's card. But if someone reckons they can make something better then go ahead and give it a shot.
Something so you know you have it will be usefull, You want to know you have it and I reckon it will also be good if other people know you have it. IE F1 menu shows you have it in a similar way to in CTF showing that you have a flag. I dunno much about changing the hud or anything so I dunno about how to do it.
GTA3 idea is nice. Would make it more obvious that you have one.

Jrubzjeknf
3rd Aug 2004, 09:40 AM
To make it interesting why dont you make a bunch of different pickups like one that gives you temporary speed another for temporary invisibility (that's adrenaline speed and invi combo) one for temporary higher jumps (also speed combo or someone's gotta make antigravity boots) and for temporary and of course the get out of jail free card...... we could also call these Items and you can scroll through these items and use them with unused buttons (we don't have unused buttons :lol: ) and have it all configurable in the input folder... its sorta like how the artifacts work in ut2004rpg (so we would be creating something that's already been done)!! the idea ...blablabla

taken care of ^^

The_Head
3rd Aug 2004, 10:25 AM
taken care of ^^
lol. i think you made your point

Jrubzjeknf
3rd Aug 2004, 11:10 AM
just downloaded GTA3 for the goojfc sound, just to find out that the sound actually came with GTA2 :p

Jrubzjeknf
3rd Aug 2004, 02:29 PM
dl'ed right one now :2thumb:

RevBillyG
3rd Aug 2004, 04:12 PM
Hehe the one time my PM box gets full and everyone one wants to use it :)

I was thinking about the card. Basically, we need a nice simple card that spawns, spins on the spot, has a nice emitter around it and then either disappears after a set amount of time or is picked up.

For the spawning/disappearing effect imagine this. Take a piece of paper fold it in half, fold it in half again and keep on doing so until the paper disappears.
This could be used for the card disappearing (running the animation backwards would be the spawning effect).

I could do this in Max and then import into UT as a .ukx file. As far a coding it, well sorry but I'm clueless :)

Jrubzjeknf
4th Aug 2004, 03:52 AM
doesn't matter, we'll try to find someone else for the coding (or maybe I could screw around with it. I suck at mapping big time (LlamaSanctuary?) and Maya even more :S)

RabidZombie
7th Aug 2004, 05:29 AM
So whats gunna happen now as no one has really said anything in 2 days... I like the idea of te folding paper, so is anyone gunna have a try at coding it? I can't, i havn't a clue!

Sorry, my mistake... 3 days
i thought it was the 6th today

Jrubzjeknf
7th Aug 2004, 05:53 AM
RevBillyG, I (and I expect Head too) would really like it if you could do that. Since anyone else didn't bring up an idea (and I really like yours), I hoped you'd do it. Else this project might never be released :S

tarquin
7th Aug 2004, 06:07 AM
Actually, I said we could use the key mesh :)

but I like the card idea anyway.

RevBillyG
7th Aug 2004, 12:48 PM
Actually, since the key mesh has already been made (and I'm lazy ;)) it might be an idea to try that first.

RabidZombie
7th Aug 2004, 12:50 PM
Actually, since the key mesh has already been made (and I'm lazy ;)) it might be an idea to try that first.

but the card :eek: :( :mad: :flak: :enforcer: :shock: :biorifle: :rl:

I want the card :( oh well, maybie someday someone else will make it

O yeah that would mean the audio file is useless... it is no longer a get out of jail free 'CARD'

erm trying to think of other reasons to mamke you change your mind...

oh i got one... everyone will call u lazy

tarquin
7th Aug 2004, 01:24 PM
It would be better to try coding it FIRST, and then ask Rev to do the graphics.

Birelli
7th Aug 2004, 01:50 PM
I don't think you can actually use the GTA3 sound file anyway, things from UT2004 are allowed only because Epic/Atari graciously (it's in their self-interest but still) allows us to use their content. That obviously doesn't apply to other people's games.

Jrubzjeknf
7th Aug 2004, 03:05 PM
so we can't use the monopoly texture either? That's what you say. Besides, it's an optional addon: if you don't want something that has to do with other games, don't download it. And besides, IT'S A FRIGGIN SOUND FILE!! Only the people who know GTA2, will know that the sound file came from there. So you don't 'say' to people: "You hear this cool sound? That's from GTA2! Go get it now!", and therefore it shouldn't be a problem.

to tarquin and RevBillyG: why use key mesh? And I'm not gonna code (gonna do first time ever) when I don't have my stuff right. So that's why I'd like to ask if you could plz finish the card and it's folding animation. The card rox, me and many others would REALLY like it to have it in the game. Rev, could you plz finish and release it? Pretty plz?? You'll get a cookie :):tup:

RabidZombie
7th Aug 2004, 03:17 PM
You'll get a cookie :):tup:

Here's the cookie

tarquin
7th Aug 2004, 03:21 PM
well the key mesh is already made and it's even already in the Jailbreak installation. You can find it in JBToolbox. I figure we can put around it a mini version of the basket emitter that's on the padlock.

tarquin
9th Aug 2004, 09:32 AM
If I have time I might try playing about a bit with code for this, but I'm not promising anything.

The main decision to make is this:
Is the Card represented by a weapon which the user switches to and can then press Fire to use or Drop to give to a team-mate?
Or is the card represented only on the HUD by an icon, and there must be a special key binding for it? (Though I am wondering if we could use 'best weapon' binding, since you don't HAVE weapons in jail)

RabidZombie
9th Aug 2004, 10:41 AM
The main decision to make is this:
Is the Card represented by a weapon which the user switches to and can then press Fire to use or Drop to give to a team-mate?
Or is the card represented only on the HUD by an icon, and there must be a special key binding for it? (Though I am wondering if we could use 'best weapon' binding, since you don't HAVE weapons in jail)

Well the weapon idea wouldn't you loose it when you die (that way it would only be helpful if you walked in to jail yourself LOL)

The best weapon idea is good but i dont really like it for 2 reasons, one i don't know what my best weapon key is, and 2 i will forget it too easily. I think a gun would be best IF you can make it so you only ever loose it if you throw it to someone or u use it

Jrubzjeknf
9th Aug 2004, 02:18 PM
it'll respond to a key, most useful is the use-key, since those are never used in JB maps anyway.

Will go look how to code either, but don't expect much of it. First time doing it :p

Mychaeel
9th Aug 2004, 03:35 PM
it'll respond to a key, most useful is the use-key, since those are never used in JB maps anyway.
You need it to enter vehicles... so using the "Use" key for that isn't an option.

Really, I think making it a pickup and handling it like one is the best idea yet.

tarquin
9th Aug 2004, 03:43 PM
Mych, I have two important problems that perhaps you can shed some light on:

Inventory is destroyed when the player is killed -- how can we get round that? Should the object the player carries be an Info class instead?

I have made some basic code that spawns the pickup at a random pathnode (ok, so I copied UT's Relic system :D ) -- but how do I eliminate Arena and Jail pathnodes from consideration?

Jrubzjeknf
9th Aug 2004, 04:19 PM
for 2: select all pathnodes without the ones within jail volume and arena volume? There should be a way to define the places which are used for jails and arena's (a player in an arena shows up as jailed. Deselect pathnodes within area where status 'Player Jailed' is active) (ps. I dunno a **** about mapping or coding, just trying to help you out as much as possible...)

The_Head
21st Aug 2004, 05:38 AM
Nice to see a lot of posts here in this thread. Despite the lack of recent posts. Is this mutater ever gonna be made?

Jrubzjeknf
21st Aug 2004, 10:23 AM
I'll do it. Just gotta learn how to code though :B, but I'm getting help with that. I'll contact Rev for the cool monopoly card he made. And tarquin to ask if he's still on the project, cause I'm not gonna do any double work here :D

ps. how's kokrull's server? Checked thursday and it was still offline. How come?
ps2. good to have you back ;)

Zenny
21st Aug 2004, 10:43 AM
I think it'd be best if it was bound to a currently unused key and appeared as an icon in your hud. You could probably do it similar to how the adrenaline system is kept between deaths.

Jrubzjeknf
21st Aug 2004, 03:45 PM
adrenalin system is a stat system, like the health system. It's not about deaths either. It's about where to store the information whether you have the card or not and how you should be able to activate it. A weapon isn't an option, inventory is (has own predefined keys, but drops when killed), and making a new button for it would be unpleasent (another button, while my laptop is seriously, completely full with pretty much all the default keys and a few additional...:S)

tarquin
21st Aug 2004, 04:08 PM
adrenaline is coded into Pawn classes. So we can't imitate that.

I'm guessing the card should be an Info item that knows to which player it belongs.

We can use a different class for the 'pickup card' and the 'inventory card' (that's an Info class).
Pickup up the pickup creates the inventory, and when the inventory is used it is destroyed -- and the destruction notified the Addon class to wait some time & make another pickup.

I suggest we go with Mych's idea where the card is something you can switch to -- and then you can either Use or Drop.

Mychaeel
21st Aug 2004, 04:12 PM
You can make a JBTag (http://www.planetjailbreak.com/jdn/JBTag) subclass to store that kind of persistent information -- Jailbreak uses several JBTag subclasses of its own to attach information and code to all kinds of actors.

JBTagPlayer (http://www.planetjailbreak.com/jdn/JBTagPlayer), for instance, attaches to a player's PlayerReplicationInfo and stores information about the number of attack kills, defense kills and releases a player has done (among other things). You could make your own JBTag subclass that attaches to PlayerReplicationInfo too.

However, for the user interface, I still like the "inventory item" idea. You can use a HUD overlay registered with JBInterfaceHud (http://www.planetjailbreak.com/jdn/JBInterfaceHud) to display an icon on screen when a player has the card, and to use it, the player would just have to use their PrevWeapon/NextWeapon keys to switch to it and press Fire (or the Use key) to activate it.

tarquin
21st Aug 2004, 05:17 PM
I would (also) bind it to the same key as the Machine gun / shield gun cycle.

Not sure how to do either of those though....

I'll look into implementing a Tag: I'm thinking the Tag actor would always exist and know it either belongs to a player or if not, the card is waiting to be picked up. A Pickup actor would handle the actual visual pickup representation.

Jrubzjeknf
21st Aug 2004, 05:54 PM
How about adding 2 options (use GOOJFC/ drop GOOJFC) in the 'V' (for the taunts, team tactics etc) menu as an extra? It doesn't have to be used very quickly, and I don't really like using it as a weapon, because with my laptop I have very few keys compared to people with a normal keyboard. I still use my scroll wheel for the simple fact that I barely have any keys left to bind. IF there's a way to show up that white text (for ex. when you type fly: 'You feel very light') by a simple command in a .ini: then I can bind a key to bind other keys, and also let me know what keys had been set. If that's easily done, a weapon isn't that bad...

Mychaeel
21st Aug 2004, 06:41 PM
How about adding 2 options (use GOOJFC/ drop GOOJFC) in the 'V' (for the taunts, team tactics etc) menu as an extra?
From my experience with adding the "team tactics" submenu in that menu I can tell you that it's real hacky and a real pain to add anything there, I'm afraid...

What about the idea of having a player do a special combo move to activate the card? From what I see in the DoCombo function in class xPlayer, the amount of adrenaline needed to do a combo is defined by the specific combo class itself (through the AdrenalineCost variable in class Combo), not a hard-coded minimum of 100. So you could create a "get out of jail free" Combo subclass with an AdrenalineCost of zero that simply only does anything when activated (i.e. spawned) if the player activating it currently possesses the "get out of jail free" card.

ChaosJester
21st Aug 2004, 07:01 PM
About adrenaline combos- How can you determine what combos a player has free? I don't think that binding the GOOJFC to an adrenaline combo is a safe idea to maintain compatibility with other mods/muts/gametypes. Personally, I think the Info Actor idea has merit. While possibly difficult to implement, it has the best chance of allowing the GOOJFC to remain with the carrier after the carrier being fragged. If necessary why not bind the Info Actor to the inventory so that after carrier death. the Info Actor checks what was in the inventory at death and if it includes the card, triggers the relevant inventory actors. If used, it is not in inventory at death and does not trigger the relevant code. No new bindings are needed that way, coding might be simple that way or very complex, I don't know. The HUD could be dealt with by adding an Actor that displays the image of the card only when the card is in inventory.

RevBillyG
22nd Aug 2004, 02:56 AM
Here's the JailCard files.
Comprises of JailCard.utx and JailCard.usx. There's no fancy animations or anything. The card and it's pivot point are placed on co-ords 0,0,0.

For spawning the card I'd suggest have the card tilted to about 45 degrees, starts off very small then gets larger and spins at the same time. Very simple :)

tarquin
22nd Aug 2004, 04:08 AM
The Info actor business and the matter of how to activate the card are more or less entirely unrelated.

1. The Info / Inventory stuff relates to the question: How do we know if a player has the card?

2. The combo / weapon / team orders menu / key bind relates to the question: How does the player use the card? (Obviously this part needs to check the player HAS the card... or only be available for the player if he has the card... but whatever we do in 1. above will provide a means of checking)

(Mychaeel, how about you post that UserFriendly comic about Quake... ;) )

TheSpoonDog
22nd Aug 2004, 04:39 AM
Is it possible to attach a small version of the card to their other hand bone (like when you pick up a second assault rifle)? Unless that will stop the assault rifle from attaching as well... Or simply have it float/spin above the player's head maybe.

tarquin
22nd Aug 2004, 05:20 AM
Ok guys, here's an alpha.
(remember this is latin for "doesn't work" :D )

All it has at the moment is:
* a working GUI
* it spawns a key mesh on round start.

That is all... and the spawning stuff needs to be COMPLETELY rewritten because at the moment it can spawn in jails or arenas. To do this we can use the FindPlayerStart stuff in the Jailbreak class. Could someone else look into this please?

The SpawnedCardPickup variable will have to be change too, since that only allows one card. I'll look into that with Mych's Tag idea.

To keep filesizes down in forum attachments, I think it's a good idea to stick to using the key mesh at this stage. Unless someone has a CVS server we could use?

Jrubzjeknf
22nd Aug 2004, 09:12 AM
Good to see that this addon is back on the road again.

Spawning:
-done by: randomly selecting pathnodes to spawn there
-prob: don't select pathnodes which are located inside the arena or jails
-fix: exclude pathnodes inside the volume where players are tagged as 'jailed' (possible?)
-Respawn time: short (to prevent camping it)
-After Card usage: next respawn delayed with 30 secs

Taking Card:
-Picking it up -> store in inventory
-Show pic in HUD to tell you indeed picked it up
-Play: 'GET OUT OF JAIL FREE CARD!'-sound only to player who picks it up

When dying:
-Keep inventory
-prob: inventory is dropped after dying
-fix: create subclass which will prevent the 'drop inv. when you die'-function or which will give the card to the last player who picked it up when it's unknown whether the card is supposed to respawn or carried by a player

Activating Card:
-When using it: select in inventory and press the activate button which goes along with it
-When whole team would be jailed, while someone on that team holds the card: activate card automatically

Drop Card:
-When becoming a llama (llamas have hoofs, which cannot hold a card :D)
-With 'drop inventory'-button if exists, else not (isn't necessary)

Should have everything now :tup:

tarquin
22nd Aug 2004, 10:04 AM
Hmm... that's not quite it.

The current code picks a random pathnode. (I borrowed it from UT's relics system.) It needs to be scrapped entirely -- not a "workaround", a "rewrite" :)
We should instead use the system already existing in the Jailbreak class that determines where to spawn players when there are not enough PlayerStarts. This is quite a complex system with a number of functions involved. Someone needs to look into how it works! (The major obstacle I see is that the system considers team, and we don't.)

Please keep separate in your mind the problems of how to CARRY the card and how to USE the card :)

Jrubzjeknf
22nd Aug 2004, 10:59 AM
*workaround = work around the problem (for instance rewriting). I dunno what you exactly understand by workaround...

problems with how to carry and how to use the card? I'd say you have to put up a two variables: one to know whether it's taken and one to know who has it. Using has something to do with the inventory, and since that's been completely unused in UT2004 till now, I don't know what to do there....

I just don't get you quite well on the second part. Isn't it possible to exclude the pathnodes who are within the volume that marks players there as "jailed"? Players who are inside the arena or in jail are known as jailed. There should be a way to exclude those pathnodes from the random selection.

Jrubzjeknf
22nd Aug 2004, 11:16 AM
post #82 rewritten (so not workedaround) :p

tarquin
22nd Aug 2004, 11:37 AM
I don't think we are using the word 'inventory' in the same way... when I say "Inventory" I mean a subclass of Inventory (http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Inventory). THis is a very specific thing. We probably won't be using this, because as I said earlier, ALL inventory actors owned by a player are destoyed when the player is killed.

"workaround" usually means to me a less-than-perfect means of solving a problem.

As for the pathnodes... we perhaps could ourselves exclude pathnodes, but it could end up being horrendously complicated. Far easier to reuse existing code.

tarquin
22nd Aug 2004, 11:59 AM
Ok, started looking at the code for JBTag.

I can see two possible approaches here:
1. A JBTagGoojfCard is spawned for the PlayerReplicationInfo when the player takes the card pickup. When the card is used, the JBTagGoojfCard is destroyed. Disadvantage: the Addon class has to be notified of when this happens, and has to handle spawning another card pickup.
2. The JBTagGoojfCard actor(s) are spawned at the start of the game, and are never destroyed. When the card is picked up, they are registered with the PRI, and when the card is used, they are unregistered. It is up to the JBTagGoojfCard (which would be the "main" representation of the card) to respawn another pickup once it has been used. (easy to do: just set the timer)

I am leaning toward approach number 2. Mych, if you're still following this thread, what do you think?

Though the problem with #1 makes me think of another question about how this addon should work -- should the card reappear as a pickup once it has been used? I assumed it would, but you might want it to disappear from the game completely until the next round.

Jrubzjeknf
22nd Aug 2004, 12:34 PM
(quickie)One thing getting straight: there's only 1 card that will be spawned around the place. Use it, and it comes available again.

The_Head
22nd Aug 2004, 12:49 PM
(quickie)One thing getting straight: there's only 1 card that will be spawned around the place. Use it, and it comes available again.
I reckon it might be better the other way around so it doesn't respawn until next round. Even though it will be more exciting and fast paced like jrubzjeknf said (I'm glad copy and paste is inventeed writing that name right would be a pain :lol: ) This would also fit Jailbreak fast gameplay better. I'm tied.

1 thing that i don't think has been brought up is what happens is this: You have the GOOJFC and are the last man, you then get killed, You will need to code it so you can get out of jail without the death sequence being called.

Jrubzjeknf
22nd Aug 2004, 01:33 PM
1. Call me Nova^ ;)
2. Maybe better: fast respawn. When used, the next respawn is delayed with 30
3. When being the last on the team and killed, the GOOJFC should automatically be activated. That way that man won't end up (even for a short time) in jail, and thus the execution won't be triggered (and yes, I already brought it up at #85 'Activating Card' ;))

ps. @tarquin: Overlooked post #86. Will remember from now on ;). What Inventory concerns (gotta tell you I still know **** about coding, classes and functions): Make a subclass that records who holds the card. Then let it record if the player dies. If so, add the card (what is it then anyway, pawn?) to the player's inventory. Fixing this doesn't seem a real problem to me tbh.

The_Head
22nd Aug 2004, 01:47 PM
1. Call me Nova^ ;) I do normally, its just someone might not know ur same person.
2. Maybe better: fast respawn. When used, the next respawn is delayed with 30 It will work well either, some people may prefer it the other way around, then again you can't please everyone.
3. When being the last on the team and killed, the GOOJFC should automatically be activated. That way that man won't end up (even for a short time) in jail, and thus the execution won't be triggered (and yes, I already brought it up at #85 'Activating Card' ;) Good, Just Checking. lol I didn't see it, since I posted yesterday there had been 20 odd posts so I must of missed it. Cheers, Good luck with coding

Jrubzjeknf
22nd Aug 2004, 02:10 PM
I do normally, its just someone might not know ur same person.

For the people who don't know yet:
JRUBZJEKNF = NOVA^!!! :rolleyes::tup:

Got it? Great. Now back to the topic:
It will work well either, some people may prefer it the other way around, then again you can't please everyone.

Don't edit spawntimes, try to keep this as close to the relics as possible. Quick respawning will prevent camping, and you gotta act quick to get it. JB is fast paced as Head said, and a fast respawning GOOJFC keeps you acute.

Updated that concluding post btw.

ps. Mychaeel, sry for the size of my text :shy:

tarquin
22nd Aug 2004, 02:52 PM
3. When being the last on the team and killed, the GOOJFC should automatically be activated. That way that man won't end up (even for a short time) in jail, and thus the execution won't be triggered (and yes, I already brought it up at #85 'Activating Card' ;))

That's a good point. When Last Man, card becomes activated automatically, even if it was set to manual activation in config.

Jrubzjeknf
22nd Aug 2004, 03:51 PM
tarq, what option did you exactly made in the GUI? Haven't really took a look at it yet..

tarquin
22nd Aug 2004, 04:54 PM
Just read the GUI class or the Addon class.
Or compile it & see.

I've made a start on the Tag class and getting the GameRules to hook into notifications.

Jrubzjeknf
22nd Aug 2004, 04:58 PM
great. After the alpha comes the beta, so I'll be looking forward to that ;)

tarquin
22nd Aug 2004, 05:01 PM
no... after alpha 1 comes alpha 2. :D

We need someone to look at the spawning code & someone to look at the interface & HUD code.

Mychaeel
22nd Aug 2004, 07:45 PM
This is quite a complex system with a number of functions involved. Someone needs to look into how it works! (The major obstacle I see is that the system considers team, and we don't.)
The system which selects PlayerStarts is more complicated than one that would just check whether a given PathNode is in jail or in an arena; part of the reason is the support for respawning a player at a specific PlayerStart after an arena fight via the TagAttachStartsWinner property in JBInfoArena.

To check whether a given Actor is in jail or in an arena, you can use the ContainsActorJail and ContainsActorArena functions in class Jailbreak.

Note that if a mapper explicitly attached PlayerStarts to an (open) arena instead of using the "Auto" setting, chances are that the mapper didn't also attach all PathNodes that belong to the arena, so you might end up finding a PathNode that's actually in an arena even though ContainsActorArena doesn't say it does. There's a way around that possibility that involves checking whether there's a valid bot path between that PathNode and a PlayerStart known to be in freedom, but for starters, using ContainsActorArena should be sufficient.

I am leaning toward approach number 2. Mych, if you're still following this thread, what do you think?
Yes, your second suggestion sounds like a good idea.

Jrubzjeknf
23rd Aug 2004, 05:08 AM
We need someone to look at HUD code.
Gotta draw a pic of the card on the HUD? Rip code from UTRPG, they've already done that.

Mychaeel
23rd Aug 2004, 05:14 AM
We need someone to look at the spawning code & someone to look at the interface & HUD code.
If you're making a JBAddon subclass and want to draw anything on the HUD, all you need is setting bIsOverlay to True and implementing RenderOverlays.

Jrubzjeknf
23rd Aug 2004, 05:19 AM
prob: after looking in UT2004RPG code, it seems that they use inventory to control the artifacts. Inventory controls drawing the HUD, so in the RPG we won't find anything..

Jrubzjeknf
23rd Aug 2004, 08:52 AM
stupid idea: copy the whole gd main inventory code and take out the piece that destroys inventory items after death (that's the only thing that's keeping us from using that, right?)

tarquin
23rd Aug 2004, 08:58 AM
stupid idea: copy the whole gd main inventory code and take out the piece that destroys inventory items after death (that's the only thing that's keeping us from using that, right?)

Inventory actors are destroyed when players die, and I don't think that can be worked around because the destroying code is in Pawn IIRC.

I am already working on implementing a JBTag to do this.
If you want to do some coding, perhaps you could look into spawning the card at a suitable navpoint?

Jrubzjeknf
23rd Aug 2004, 09:14 AM
the navpoint of the card is 0,0,0 (I'm quoting Rev now) :B :p

Mychaeel
23rd Aug 2004, 09:19 AM
That's the pivot point. tarquin is talking about a chunk of UnrealScript code that would find a suitable NavigationPoint actor in the map and spawn the card pickup there.

Jrubzjeknf
23rd Aug 2004, 09:45 AM
I'll see what I can do, but don't expect a lot.... (will be some time before I can even begin, UT2004 is on a laptop and my sis is using it for homework)

tarquin
23rd Aug 2004, 10:03 AM
Using a JBTag is turning out to be a little more complex than I thought.
I am having to break the Registration system into two parts, because when the JBTagGoojfCard is created it has no Owner or Keeper, and the Owner and Keeper will be frequently set and then unset as the game progresses.

I'm trying to follow this through to the replication code, and it's going to get messy :(
Perhaps I should create an extra state for client-side stuff, and differentiate between "Registering" (with a keeper) and "Chaining" (insertion in the list).

Mychaeel
23rd Aug 2004, 10:40 AM
I am having to break the Registration system into two parts, because when the JBTagGoojfCard is created it has no Owner or Keeper, and the Owner and Keeper will be frequently set and then unset as the game progresses.
Where's the problem with that? Just spawn the thing; you can always register it with an actual Owner later.myTag = Spawn(Class'myTagClass', None);
// time passes...
myTag.SetOwner(myActor);
myTag.Register();

tarquin
23rd Aug 2004, 12:35 PM
Yeah.... I realised this just as I was taking another look at the code now.
Since I'm not going to be making much use of the linked list, and I'll only need to interrogate the JBTag system about Tags with owners, I can register them later, and it doesn't matter if some of the tag actors are hanging around unlinked. In which case I just need to override BeginPlay().

Mychaeel
23rd Aug 2004, 12:43 PM
Why do you need to override BeginPlay? The call to Register doesn't do anything if the JBTag actor isn't owned by another actor.

tarquin
23rd Aug 2004, 12:51 PM
*slaps self*
Insert brain!

:)

The_Head
23rd Aug 2004, 02:22 PM
I'm glad you all know what your talking about with the code because you've lost me. lol I used to understand Uscript in the origional UT but this goes straight over my head. Looking forward to trying it

Jrubzjeknf
23rd Aug 2004, 04:03 PM
you'll hear from me about spawning at the navpoint tomorrow. Should give me enough time to figure out what you mean by it anyway. Guess you mean spawning the card only at the 'open' botpaths?
...will look at it ;)

tarquin
24th Aug 2004, 04:22 AM
What I think we should do is a function in JBAddonGetOutOfJailFree:

function NavigationPoint FindCardNavigationPoint()

Use the code from the SpawnCard function as a basis if you like, but have it return the chosen NavigationPoint instead of doing any spawning.

SpawnCard is defunct, BTW -- The card Tag actors will call FindCardNavigationPoint when they need to find a suitable NavigationPoint and then they will spawn the card pickup.

Terminology: botpaths are the paths connecting NavigationPoint actors. We want a NavigationPoint. :)

Jrubzjeknf
24th Aug 2004, 06:39 AM
I get it. I looked into the code, and I dunno if I got it right, but with the NP.IsA('PathNode'), you don't exclude jails or arenas. What navpoint concerns: you want me to find X,Y,Z values, look if there isn't already another card on that point, and if there isn't, spawn the card there. Right?

ps. How do I use UNCodeX?

ps2. Sry for being a huge pain in the @$$ here, but I'm still used to Visual Basic coding. Coding in Uscript is very different..

tarquin
24th Aug 2004, 08:14 AM
No, it's not yet excluding jails or arenas. See Mych's post for how to get that done.

Find X,Y,Z values -- you just do NP.Location :D
And I don't need that anyway -- just return the NP actor itself.

Look if there isn't already another card on that point -- hmm, I hadn't thought of that. We can iterate on the card pickup actors to check, there won't be many.

One thing I'm not sure of is the random element.

UnCodeX -- don't know, I use TextPad :D

Symbolikal
24th Aug 2004, 09:53 AM
Make it for original UT as well, that would be way kewl

tarquin
25th Aug 2004, 12:40 PM
Thought I would post my general plan for this add-on...

JBAddonGetOutOfJailFree

The addon class
Holds the config variables:

bAutoUseCard - card is used automatically when jailed
bAllowDropCard - can the GOOJF card be dropped?
SpawnDelay - delay at round start before spawning card
NumCards - number of cards to spawn

Spawns and registers the Game Rules for the add-on, JBGameRulesGetOutOfJailFree.
Spawns a JBTagGoojfCard for each card required in the game.
Provides a suitable NavigationPoint on request

JBGUIPanelConfigGetOutOfJailFree

The GUI panel. Shows the options to the user.

JBTagGoojfCard

The code representation of the card.
Spawned on game start.
After the config option delay, spawns a JBPickupGetOutOfJailFreeCard in the map (after requesting a navpoint from JBAddonGetOutOfJailFree).
Notified when this is picked up by a player, and registers itself with the PRI so it knows which player is holding it.
Notifed when the player drops the card, and spawns a pickup to be thrown (no idea how!).
Notified when the player uses the card, teleports him back to base, unregisters itself, and then waits (SpawnDelay) before spawning another pickup.

JBGameRulesGetOutOfJailFree

The Game rules class.
Hooks into the game:
* CanSendToJail -- if the "automatically use card" option is set, OR if the player is the last man, he are not sent to jail when killed. Display a message explaining the card was auto-used, and remove the card
* NotifyPlayerJailed -- equip the spawning player with whatever he needs to be able to use the card via the interface
* NotifyPlayerReleased -- remove the system that enables a player to use the card (BTW, can't use card in arena!)
* NotifyRound -- remove visible pickups from the map?

JBPickupGetOutOfJailFreeCard

The visual representation of the card.
When picked up, tells its corresponding JBTagGoojfCard about it, so the JBTagGoojfCard knows which player holds the card.

I've probably missed things.... and there's a number of things there that I don't know how to implement or that I don't have time to look into, or that I can do but won't work online because of my replication-n00bness... and other people will have to do those :D

The_Head
26th Aug 2004, 06:39 AM
Coding in Uscript is very different..
I'l agree with that, I can cope with basic, some C++ and the UScript in origional UT

UnCodeX -- don't know, I use TextPad
Me to

Make it for original UT as well, that would be way kewl
Or you could by UT2004 :lol:

Tarquin: Looks great to me :lol:

Symbolikal
26th Aug 2004, 07:30 AM
when i have money, which I blew on a Gamecube and some games

The_Head
26th Aug 2004, 07:32 AM
when i have money, which I blew on a Gamecube and some games
Gamecube. You poor sap. I'd prefer an Xbox over that its so bad. PS2 is best console but even that cannot rival a pc

3M!K
26th Aug 2004, 03:49 PM
Have to post this from NovA^

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0672326922.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

source:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672326922/qid=1093549277/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_8_2/202-4969771-2069426

Jrubzjeknf
27th Aug 2004, 03:47 AM
guys, I'm currently having trouble getting to these forums (BU in general too), because something seems to be wrong with my ISP. I'm trying to fix this prob asap, but it means I can't do anything about the project now. I'm now typing this at school, so I gotta hurry and can't read everything. I'm sorry for this inconvinience, but I'll try to fix it.

ps. Head told me he wanted to try to code as well, but quitted because there were no good reference files. This book has been written by Buzz, and seems very good for coding. Emik is a friend of mine, and was so nice to post it for me.

Just wanted to let you guys know. If you wanna ask me anything, plz mail me

Nova^

tarquin
27th Aug 2004, 03:59 AM
there were no good reference files.

You guys heard of Unreal Wiki? :)

The_Head
27th Aug 2004, 05:36 AM
Head told me he wanted to try to code as well, but quitted because there were no good reference files.
I actually said I wanted to code but didn't like how the code had changed between UT and UT200*. Anyway I prefer mapping.

I looked at unreal wiki many times but got bored of coding and started mapping. Since I got broadband I map less and less and play online all the time. I really must finish my JB map at some point

Symbolikal
27th Aug 2004, 09:00 AM
tarq, book ain't been published yet

Jrubzjeknf
30th Aug 2004, 08:47 AM
You guys heard of Unreal Wiki? :)

Yea, it sucks. Only good if you wanna know how to map. IMO it's not good for references (downloaded offline version)

tarq, book ain't been published yet

Will be within few months (begin december?)

n00bkillin 0wnz J00 at jailbreak.

You want a piece of me? Come and get it!! :instagib: :D

ps. Still haven't fixed my probs at home guys. Doing this at school :S. Some guys thought it was the DNS cache, but it has been days ago and I use WIN98, which doesn't have DNS cache.... Will call my ISP soon, and when I do, they'll know it!! :mad: :p

ps. @tarq: gl on the goojfc. I'd really, really like to help out, but my mayor lack of knowledge about coding doesn't help you much with creating the addon. If I can help you in the future with something, I'll make the lost time up with that, ok?
:notworthy: for tarq because he's doing it all by himself ;)

tarquin
30th Aug 2004, 09:05 AM
Yea, it sucks. Only good if you wanna know how to map. IMO it's not good for references (downloaded offline version)

COUGH

You do know who the admins on Unreal Wiki are, don't you? :lol:
If you have ideas on how it could be made to not suck, please suggest something!

:notworthy: for tarq because he's doing it all by himself ;)

yeah well, if I'm the only person working on the code for this add-on, then I can tell you plain and simple, it will never be released. I've got a lot of things on at the moment and I don't have the energy to get my hands dirty with bits of UnrealScript I don't understand properly.

Symbolikal
31st Aug 2004, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE=jrubzjeknf]You want a piece of me? Come and get it!! :instagib: :D QUOTE]

I'm a UT99 Jailbreaker, and was not able to connect to servers, until today, must pay homage to skillz

Jrubzjeknf
1st Sep 2004, 08:08 AM
COUGH

You do know who the admins on Unreal Wiki are, don't you? :lol:
If you have ideas on how it could be made to not suck, please suggest something!

Yea, I remember, sry :B. It's just that it's probably very good for mappers and a bit less better for coders, but what I'm used to is a quick answer like: What are the options for moEditBox: -Caption (does this) -Height (does that) etc. Wiki is good, but not something that I'm used to. Sry for saying that it sucks, cause it's actually not
everything ok again? :)

yeah well, if I'm the only person working on the code for this add-on, then I can tell you plain and simple, it will never be released. I've got a lot of things on at the moment and I don't have the energy to get my hands dirty with bits of UnrealScript I don't understand properly.

Is ok. We'll look at it from here, see what you can do anyways. GL with your other projects though ;)

tarquin
1st Sep 2004, 10:31 AM
It's just that it's probably very good for mappers and a bit less better for coders, but what I'm used to is a quick answer like: What are the options for moEditBox: -Caption (does this) -Height (does that) etc. Wiki is good, but not something that I'm used to. Sry for saying that it sucks, cause it's actually not everything ok again? :) )

Well there's nothing for moEditBox yet, but pages like
GUIMenuOption (
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/GUIMenuOption) seem to me to be in that sort of format :confused:

Jrubzjeknf
2nd Sep 2004, 09:18 AM
IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE!!!!! (internet back online!!!)

to get ontopic again: ok, sry :B :B :B

I'll look better at it next time I call something crap

/me bangs head against wall

I'm spoiled at coding, I like examples that go with the various options. I'll look better at them and stop acting like a brat, ok? Thx for all the help tarq.

The_Head
2nd Sep 2004, 09:36 AM
glad to have u back Nova^.

Jrubzjeknf
2nd Sep 2004, 03:10 PM
ty. Glad to have you on a higher level than me ;)

I'm first gonna look into the celebration lines addon (should be very simple, I already am stuck at the freakin GUI :B), and if I don't have anything to betatest, I'll gonna code this one

tarquin
2nd Sep 2004, 03:14 PM
For GUIs, just look at code for existing addons.

The_Head
2nd Sep 2004, 03:18 PM
I'm first gonna look into the celebration lines addon (should be very simple, I already am stuck at the freakin GUI :B), and if I don't have anything to betatest, I'll gonna code this one
OK good luck on that. That addon also looks pretty cool. If u need beta testers just ask. we can do it on the kokrull server

Jrubzjeknf
3rd Sep 2004, 03:50 PM
fixed: I forgot the last ' at the Gui's defaultproperties for the editbox ^^

I expect to finish the addon soon, more about that (later, watching tv now ;)) in the celebration thread.

ps. Tarq and Mych, UnrealWiki rox, you just gotta know how you gotta use it :B

tarquin
29th Sep 2005, 06:26 AM
*bump*

What's the status of this?
Need any help with the GUI?

The_Head
29th Sep 2005, 06:39 AM
That is one monster bump there! lol

I don't think anyone is working on it at the moment. Although would love to see it finished.

tarquin
29th Sep 2005, 01:14 PM
Oops... I see from earlier pages of this thread that *I* was working on this.
Except my HD crashed a couple of months ago, so all that's lost unless I uploaded an alpha. What I had was pretty basic, anyway.

The_Head
29th Sep 2005, 01:59 PM
LOL.
Hadn't read back through the whole thing, doing so brings back a few memories, :p.
Would be great to get this working.

Vatcilli zeitchef
30th Sep 2005, 10:06 AM
Rofl long time since this was in the newly posted threads but even so I would not forget the author!

[H3D]Pendragon
20th Aug 2009, 03:02 AM
I like it :)

2. some code to spawn it in random places.

Sorry if this was already posted, but 8 pages is allot to read.

Below I have the code I was working on that was one of 3 files, that was basically a rip from the Present mutator. It is merely for an example of how you could randomly spawn the card in the map.

The code used the pathnodes as possible locations to place a random pickup.

class H3D_TagMutator extends UTMutator config(H3D_TagMutator);

var() config array<string> H3D_Inventories;
var() config float SpawnIntervalMin, SpawnIntervalMax;

var int LastUsedNode;
var array<PathNode> found_nodes;
var array<vector> used_nodes;

Function MatchStarting() {
local PathNode FoundNode;
if( H3D_Inventories.Length == -1 ) {
LogInternal( "****! We are out of beer!!!", Name );
Destroy();
}

Super.MatchStarting();
ForEach WorldInfo.AllNavigationPoints( Class'PathNode', FoundNode ) { // Create a list of nodes.
found_nodes[found_nodes.Length] = FoundNode;
}
if( found_nodes.Length != 1 ) {
SetTimer( RandRange( SpawnIntervalMin, SpawnIntervalMax ),, 'RandomSpawn' );
} else {
LogInternal( "No NavigationPoints found in this map!", Name );
Destroy();
}
}
function remNode(vector Loc) {
local int i;
local array<vector> new_array;
for(i=0;i<used_nodes.Length;i++) {
if(used_nodes[i] != Loc) {
new_array[new_array.Length] = used_nodes[i];
}
}
used_nodes = new_array;
}
function addNode(vector Loc) {
if(!nodeUsed(loc)) {
used_nodes[used_nodes.Length] = Loc;
}
}
function bool nodeUsed(vector Loc) {
local int i;
i=0;
while(i<used_nodes.Length) {
if(used_nodes[i] == Loc) {
return True;
}
i=i+1;
}
return False;
}

Function RandomSpawn() {
local int CurrentNode, RandInvNum;
local H3D_PickupFactory Spawned_HItem;
local vector tempLoc;
local byte SpawnAttempts;

GetNode:
if( SpawnAttempts > 2 ) {
return;
}
SpawnAttempts ++;
CurrentNode = Rand( found_nodes.Length );
if( LastUsedNode == CurrentNode ) { // Don''t spawn a present at same spot.
Goto'GetNode'; // Try another.
}
LastUsedNode = CurrentNode;
tempLoc = found_nodes[CurrentNode].Location;
if(nodeUsed(tempLoc)) {

if(SpawnAttempts > 2) {
SetTimer( RandRange( SpawnIntervalMin, SpawnIntervalMax ),, 'RandomSpawn' );
}
Goto'GetNode';
}
Spawned_HItem = Spawn( Class'H3D_PickupFactory', Self,, tempLoc );

if( Spawned_HItem == None ) { // Get another node and try to spawn again.
Goto'GetNode';
}

RandInvNum = Rand( H3D_Inventories.Length );

if( H3D_Inventories[RandInvNum] != "" ) {
Spawned_HItem.InventoryType = Class<Inventory>( DynamicLoadObject( H3D_Inventories[RandInvNum], Class'Class', True ) );
Spawned_HItem.remNode = remNode;
addNode(tempLoc);
} else {
LogInternal( "Spawned_HItem"@RandInvNum@"is empty!", Name );
}
SetTimer( RandRange( SpawnIntervalMin, SpawnIntervalMax ),, 'RandomSpawn' ); // Prepare the next Spawned_HItem.
}

defaultproperties {
H3D_Inventories(0)="InsaneMOFO.UTBerserkMOFO"
H3D_Inventories(1)="InvisibleR.UTInvisibilityR"
H3D_Inventories(2)="Speed.UTSpeed"
H3D_Inventories(3)="InsaneMOFO.UTBerserkMOFO"
H3D_Inventories(4)="InvisibleR.UTInvisibilityR"
H3D_Inventories(5)="Speed.UTSpeed"
H3D_Inventories(6)="UTGameContent.UTJumpBoots"
H3D_Inventories(7)="UTGameContent.UTInvisibility"
H3D_Inventories(8)="UTGameContent.UTDeployableEMPMine"
H3D_Inventories(9)="UTGameContent.UTDeployableEnergyShield"
H3D_Inventories(10)="UTGameContent.UTDeployableShapedCharge"
H3D_Inventories(11)="UTGameContent.UTDeployableSlowVolume"
H3D_Inventories(12)="SwarmAvril.UTWeap_SwarmAvril_Content"
H3D_Inventories(13)="UTGameContent.UTDeployableSpiderMineTrap"
H3D_Inventories(14)="UTGameContent.UTUDamage"
H3D_Inventories(15)="UTGameContent.UTJumpBoots"
H3D_Inventories(16)="UTGameContent.UTInvisibility"
H3D_Inventories(17)="UTGameContent.UTDeployableEMPMine"
H3D_Inventories(18)="UTGameContent.UTDeployableEnergyShield"
H3D_Inventories(19)="UTGameContent.UTDeployableShapedCharge"
H3D_Inventories(20)="UTGameContent.UTDeployableSlowVolume"
H3D_Inventories(21)="UTGameContent.UTDeployableSpiderMineTrap"
H3D_Inventories(22)="UTGameContent.UTUDamage"
H3D_Inventories(23)="PPC.UTWeap_PPC"
H3D_Inventories(24)="H3D_Healer.H3D_Deployable_Healer"

SpawnIntervalMin=10.000000
SpawnIntervalMax=30.000000
// PickupSound=SoundCue'H3D_Tag.Sounds.OmegaCue'
GroupNames(0)="H3D_Inventories"
Begin Object SpriteComponent Name=Sprite ObjName=Sprite Archetype=SpriteComponent'UTGame.Default__UTMutator:Sprite'
ObjectArchetype=SpriteComponent'UTGame.Default__UTMutator:Sprite'
End Object
Components(0)=Sprite
Name="Default__H3D_TagMutator"
ObjectArchetype=UTMutator'UTGame.Default__UTMutator'
}

[H3D]Pendragon
20th Aug 2009, 03:06 AM
ok, out of curiosity, why does this need to be so complicated? Here's what I would do:

A card randomly spawns in the map. One may be held by red, and one by blue, to do that, make them only visible and touchable by red and blue.

When the player holding the card is killed, they are presented with a screen, "Use Card?" Yes or No, (maybe a third option, throw away card)., they have 5 seconds to choose one, or no is chosen for them.

The_Head
20th Aug 2009, 04:33 AM
Wooooah oldskool thread! Can't believe its been 5 years!

[H3D]Pendragon
25th Aug 2009, 05:35 AM
So... Can we have this? are we going to do this?

[H3D]Pendragon
1st Sep 2009, 12:50 PM
Hmmm... 145 replies, 4,049 views. I say this goes into our next release. Make it a permanent feature, instead of a mutator, and just have it configurable from the ini, so if the server admin wants, they can turn it off.

UnrealGrrl
6th Sep 2009, 11:05 AM
lol at the bump from way back when...

didn't like the idea alot in 2004 though it does have some coolness factor, if used I'd suggest a few things.

1. if a player has a GooJF Card, enemy players should see that they have it (make them glow Green or have an icon over their head or something so theres a risk in picking it up.
2. If you get fragged with it, you drop it.
3. If you get fragged with it and drop it it only lasts a certain amount of time (like an Orb, then gets reset to position)
4. Get out of jail free players should spawn with low / reduced health. Otherwise its too easy to wait in jail till the last second and use the card to pop out before last player on your team gets fragged. (this could be well organized with teamspeak). First thing you should have to do when using the card is find health, otherwise its to powerful.
5. Score extra point(s) for fragging a player with GooJF card.

if a player did use the card by accident, too bad ;)

but again, its kinda cool idea on the one hand, on the other seems to imbalance things a bit too much for my liking, too powerful so if anything, it should be risky to hold, and not just a freebie release.

someone likened it to Relics in one reply...
yaknow a cool idea might be to have it work like this: if you have a card and get jailed, after a Random amount of time you get released say like 1-60 seconds. Then you have 1 minute before you go Boom like a Titan. This way the free pass doesnt get abused, can;t imbalance the game too much, but does add a twist and chance factor to things (and might even be fun)

ok back to 2004 with this thread... :)