Upcoming Build - Bug Report Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UltraNew-B

UnWheel Team
Feb 22, 2003
Your Subconscious
Visit site
Now that we will soon be entering the fine tuning stage of the upcoming build, this would be a great time for team members to start posting any errors/ issues/suggestions, etc you find with maps, cars, textures, code, etc. Lets make Unwheel as bugfree as possible.

Include pics with your descriptions if possible/relevent.

:)

Last edited:

UltraNew-B

UnWheel Team
Feb 22, 2003
Your Subconscious
Visit site
Ill start off:

I located a much much better lensflare for the vehicles head and taillights. Its located @ EpicParticles.Flares.BurnFlare1 (included with ut2004)

See pic below:

UnwheelSVEH07.jpg

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
I wonder whether it would be possible to implement chameleon skins (those paint jobs you can get on cars that change colour at different angles) by using a cubemap and texenv map?

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
I found a sort of bug, or problem, with the converted vehicles. I made a ramp that made the cars twist as they came off the jump. You can see the Typhoon do a complete 360. The other vehicles, including the converted Siren, turn about 90 degrees and stop rotating. Odd:(

Attachments

• BarrelRoll.jpg
    BarrelRoll.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 26

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
I figured out why the other SVehicles won't do a barrel roll. I had commented out all the "air" setting, (//AirTurnTorque=35.000000
//AirPitchTorque=55.000000
//AirPitchDamping=35.000000
//AirRollTorque=35.000000
//AirRollDamping=35.000000) . The other vehicles use the settings, and that is what's stopping them from "rolling".

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
Hmm, sorry, I meant to remove all those to get proper air control back, but forgot :(.

Vehicles need a lot of work still though, trucks are way to fast compared to cars, and everything is just way too bouncy. A truck going over a jump and landing on a 'ramp shape' tends to send the truck on a massive bounce (try this in UWCTF-ScorchedEarth in the fiery hole thingies). They also spin out too easily, so grip, torque etc needs to be revised on all vehicles.

I seem to have broken the fading effects, so when you hit an out of bounds or try a reset, you'll wait a second or two and magically reset.

Forgot to add a key bind option for "Quick reset", as Jump is now the handbrake.

Big Air gametype is currently broken.

No speed decrease as damage increases, and there's no way to repair damage.

UWRC-Carribean and UWRC-Metropolis have a strange bug which is destroying the vehicle as it spawns. There must be some kind of destructive volume there or something. Also, UWRC-Mawe (hope I remembered the name correctly) has extreme HOM errors, I could not see where I was going...

I'm also not too thrilled about having the windows deleted off some of the vehicles (Bugger, HumBug, Venoms, etc). It really doesn't look too great, and would be better if a bit of time were spent mapping the windows onto a seperate texture chanel so the Alpha effects don't conflict with the rest of the skin. That way current skins and shaders do not need any modification, as we'll be adding seperate alpha textures for the windows.

Last edited:

Diego1203

Jan 10, 2004
UWRL-Lost also has the exploding vehicle spawn problem.

Twice I've managed to have my car explode during game play, once in Avalanche, and once in Alpine, but in Alpine it happened right after the car got stuck on a tree for several seconds. After it exploded I respawned and it said "carjacked" and there was no driver in my car and I couldn't move.

I also noticed that there are a couple things missing that you might already be aware of, the pos vehicles aren't there. Maybe it has something to do with this, when I open a map in the editor now it says it is missing resources Texture UnWheelSkins.Vehicles.UTCar_ALT and UTVan_Alt.

Also I don't see the helmet being used anywere either.

UltraNew-B

UnWheel Team
Feb 22, 2003
Your Subconscious
Visit site
The reason polys were deleted on the side windows, cause the alpha channel would have to be totally transparent anyway, this saves a really weird clipping error occuring on the windows when just an alpha was applied.(look at the in xf150 with the new alpha textures applied)

..as for the UnWheelSkins.Vehicles.UTCar_ALT and UTVan_Alt - the old texture package was included with the new build for some reason, not the modified new one, thats why you get the error and thats why the POS vehicles dont show up ingame.

I'm still waiting for a list of wheels that need replacing etc.

The helmet is not in yet, as the list of repairs is enormous. That will have to be added later now. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
I noticed that if you look at te driver through an open window you can see the driver look through a glass texture and nothing...

Weird. My other bugs:

OutOfBounds volume gives you something like 500 points on big air, where it should be nothing,

sometimes you don't get any points for larger jumps on big air.

I have no change camera function (do I have to uninstall beta 3 first, cos if so that would be it)

I have no damage hud item, no turbo and also whn you're modifying the vehicles make em faster. They seem slower than they were before...

Finally I see no bots.

Most of these are probably because they've been left out for various reasons.

The Mawes bug is probably because the bsp no longer snaps to grid (damn I'm gonna have to remake the whole map now!!!)

Oh and I like the CTF-Aquanum Adam, good map, nice feel. And even better it's almost totally different to mine ;)

Diego1203

Jan 10, 2004
ProjectX said:
The Mawes bug is probably because the bsp no longer snaps to grid (damn I'm gonna have to remake the whole map now!!!)

Oh and I like the CTF-Aquanum Adam, good map, nice feel. And even better it's almost totally different to mine ;)

What's this Mawes map you guys are talking about? I don't see any map named that. Also I just noticed that there is a map named SilverRock that doesn't show up in the menu.

And thanks PX, is your map in with the new alpha? I didn't see it but I don't think I've played all of the maps yet.

EDIT: I just noticed that one of the headlight coronas on the nassau 21 isn't working, it looks like it has a broken headlight.

Last edited:

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Phreaky, mawes don't appear for me neither... Which I deduce must mean that there are some texture packages missing, including the one for silverrock.

Quick Watson! The game is afoot!

OK, I think I just went totally insane there.

EDIT: I can't play midnight, mawes or lost gods either.

Last edited:

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Diego1203 said:
Actually, Mawes isn't even in the alpha zip.

That's weird, I'll check the file I uploaded. It may not be in there cos of the HOM in which case I can understand that.

EDIT: Oh and my new map that I was making hasn't even got all of the meshes done yet. I'm still learning Maya and it seems that every time I export a modle there's three problems I have to individually fixed. At least te ones I've done'll work. The biggest problem is triangulating at a low-polygon threshhold on the helixes without putting unsightly bumps in the track which would throw the cars off.

EDIT2: Another bug: KOTH-AngelFalls destroys the vehicle when you hit a UWOutOfBounds (central for that map, unfortunately)

UPDATE: Midnight is missing "scifi" Haven't got a clue what that is.

Last edited:

Diego1203

Jan 10, 2004
Ok, this post is for you Project X.

Some of us were talking in IRC an we were wondering why UnWheel has become so bloated in this new Alpha, we noticed than some of the maps are way bigger than they should be, and we also noticed that most of those oversized maps belong to you. So I opened up your biggest map in the editor and quickly found a couple of problems. The first thing that I noticed is that the textures that you are using for your preview animation are much too big, 1024x1024 isn't the proper size to use, 512x256 fits the viewing format much better and it saves some much needed space. Remember that 1024x1024 is four times the size of 512x512.

The next thing that I noticed is very very important. All of the textures that you have in mylevel are uncompressed, that is a big no-no. Just as a test I compressed the textures to DXT1 and the map size went from 48 meg to 20 meg. To compress textures all you have to do is right click on them in the texture browser and go to "compress", then select DXT1, 3, or 5. I would suggest either 1 or 3, 1 looks the worst but still looks good, and 5 is the best but doesn't really look any better than 3 and it is bigger. You need to compress these textures in all of your maps because we have limited space to work with as well as having a smaller package for people to download makes it alot easier to distribute to the team members.

Last edited:

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Ok I'll get to work on that, found out what was wrong with silverrock, it was an old mesh package (UnWheelTrackMesh) that was being used, I'll convert to buildingmesh as well.

jerdaygo

How jerdaygo?
Jan 10, 2004
USA
scifi package

ProjectX said:
UPDATE: Midnight is missing "scifi" Haven't got a clue what that is.
Hey PX I will put those packages on the ftp in your my folder, have no idea but you must not have gotten those packages with the download, I guess WinRAR did a crappy split job, it didnt work for Ultranew-B either. They are very small packages so they will be in there in like 5 min :)

jerdaygo

How jerdaygo?
Jan 10, 2004
USA
Wait check in your texture folder for scifi.usx shrimp must have accidentally put it in the texture folder with my scifiTex.utx file so just move it and it should play ;)

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
By Jove Watson! I've solved the case of the Mawes HOM!! It was caused by several un-scaled Antiportals! Obviously the scale-map function doesn't like those! Another case solved Watson, now back to Baker street for tea and bickies!

Oh and I assume I'm right in supposing that I shouldn't compress the level screenshots and the surface maps for the terrain height and layer distribution, right?

Diego1203

Jan 10, 2004
you shouldn't have to mess with the height map or layers, but yes, you need to compress the preview screen shots, and they need to be 512x256.

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Diego1203 said:
you shouldn't have to mess with the height map or layers, but yes, you need to compress the preview screen shots, and they need to be 512x256.

OK I'll get on it, although there won't be any progress for 8 hours, because I need sleep.