PDA

View Full Version : Port Scanner in uw_uninst.exe

Zwiwebel
22nd Jul 2004, 02:00 PM
Hey, just downloaded your mod, its quite cool :D .

But I worried about the uninstaller as you can see in the title :( . Today I scanned my whole harddisk with Pestpatrol with the newest updates and it alerted me because of a file called uw_unist.exe, which I think is your uninstaller. PP categorized it as a Port Scanner which really confuses me.
Just wanted to ask if this is okay or if I should worry about a virus or trojan hacked into this exe :eek: .
But also it's possible that it's only a fake alert because everybody can submit a scan log. So maybe someone accidently added the uninstaller to the database of bad files :(

But if all this isnt right I maybe found out your real purpose for making your mod, you support Bill Gates in his attempt to control every computer in the world. :D

Just joking, but my problem is real so please answer my question. Thanks.

wfg Zwiwebel

ProjectX
22nd Jul 2004, 03:57 PM
You'll have to wait for Shrimp to answer because he made the installer and uninstaler. I'm just posting to let everybody know:

THE UNWHEEL TEAM WOULD NEVER PURPOSEFULLY INCLUDE VIRUSWARE, SCANWARE, TROJANS OR LOGIC BOMBS IN THEIR SOFTWARE

Now that I've got that out of the way Shrimp can clear it up whether someone has hacked it, whether it is an accident or whether your scanner's thrown up an error.

Shrimp
22nd Jul 2004, 04:28 PM
Hmm, pretty strange.

I keep all my PCs squeaky clean, have a complete scan running every single night, and the virus databases are updated every 2 days. I promise I haven't infected the Uninstaller :P

I think if the file was really infected, we would probably have had a million and one reports already, but nothing until now.

Also, the uninstall is generated dynamically by and embeded into the installer (when I compile the install package), so I never really had an uninstall file lying around which could have gotten infected. The whole installer would show up as infected if it were.

Must be a false alarm in your anti-virus ;)

Zwiwebel
23rd Jul 2004, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the info. So it must be my PC. :rolleyes:

But it's really weird. I have constantly running a download-scanner, a memory-scanner and a system-scanner looking for something infected, may it be a virus or just adware. And it didn't alerted when I downloaded nor when I installed it. But I updated just two days ago and once again yesterday. And suddenly it found Trojans, Adware and Keyloggers in files I have for at least years on my PC :con:
So I wasn't really worried about something. XP runs since I installed it short after the release just fine. :D
So I book that under the other weird false alarms. :hmm:

wfg Zwiwebel

P.S.: Have you guys thought about a Carmageddon like gametype?? :man: :cake:
If you think it's not suitable for UnWheel I understand it, your mod is already awesome :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
It roxxors your soxxors :D